Weight loss does not equals inches lost?

Options
Facing sort of funny and confusing situation.

Last week I had lost 1.7kg (3.7lbs) in comparison to the week before that and yet I had only lost around 0.2” off of my waist. This week I have only lost 100gms of weight, yet I have managed to lose 0.8” around my waist and rest of the bodily measurements is down by comparable margin as well!

Now I haven’t been as regular in exercising, as earlier weeks, but have been working out somewhat more aggressively and have somewhat upped my protein intake. Could this have had an impact?

Replies

• megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Yes. Good work!
  • wheldar
    Options
    I think what we are almost all trying to achieve is getting our metabolism higher, which will burn fat and we will lose weight and size. Sounds like you are getting more excercise than you were used to and that is good. It is my understanding that more excercise and eating smaller, healthier meals more often will boost metabolism and thus start the loss.

Good job, my friend. Glad to see that you are seeing some results, that always helps bunches. Have a fun and safe trip. RG
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Thanks Megleo

Thanks Wheldar, yes main goal is to become fit and muscular, rather than just lose weight. So I guess it is a good thing, but I really would have loved to see more weight loss. Oh well, that I guess is excuse enough to work harder :).
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It may well be the case that before you were losing muscle, while this week maybe you put on a bit of muscle, but lost even more fat.
    Sounds like a good combination :).
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    If you're lifting weights and building muscle you will shrink in size but it will not reflect on the scale. Here in the United States, by the way, losing 10 pounds is roughly losing a pant size.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    It's really hard to let go of what the scale tells you to a certain extent. But at the end of the day the scale is an arbitary measure, what matters is how you look and feel. If you do everything right, if you stick to it consistently, if you log properly, if you eat enough - you know, all the things we know we should be doing :smile: - then it will happen for you. it's about playing the long game and not expecting miracles every week.

I've stopped regular weighing and am going off how my clothes fit. I'm having to have faith that I know my eating is fine, I know my exercise is there and I know my clothes feel looser.

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right path, just keep on trucking!
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    It may well be the case that before you were losing muscle, while this week maybe you put on a bit of muscle, but lost even more fat.
    Sounds like a good combination :).
    I hope so :p
    If you're lifting weights and building muscle you will shrink in size but it will not reflect on the scale. Here in the United States, by the way, losing 10 pounds is roughly losing a pant size.
    Yes, majority of my work out consists of weight lifting. I only walk for 20-30 minutes apart from that.
    It's really hard to let go of what the scale tells you to a certain extent. But at the end of the day the scale is an arbitary measure, what matters is how you look and feel. If you do everything right, if you stick to it consistently, if you log properly, if you eat enough - you know, all the things we know we should be doing :smile: - then it will happen for you. it's about playing the long game and not expecting miracles every week.

I've stopped regular weighing and am going off how my clothes fit. I'm having to have faith that I know my eating is fine, I know my exercise is there and I know my clothes feel looser.

Good luck, it sounds like you are on the right path, just keep on trucking!
    Trying to do that, in fact was mostly successful at resisting my sweet tooth cravings during Diwali (festivals of lights in India and of lots and lots of sweets :(). I know I should go by how I feel and I do feel a lot better and cloths are lose as well, but that weighing scale and measurement tape provides a real and measurable sense of accomplishment, which is just too hard to resist and miss out on.

Oh yes, thanks everyone for the encouraging words, was kind of feeling down in morning, but now feeling a lot better, especially after working out and nearly doubling the reps on some of the exercises, since last workout!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I got a set of scales that do body fat for £10 on offer - not sure how much it would be in India (that's a couple of mcdonalds meals here, for comparison).

Sure they're not THAT accurate, but gives you an idea of what's going on over time at least.

For me, the mirror is also what I REALLY care about - and generally I'm fairly happy with it these days :).
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Facing sort of funny and confusing situation.

Last week I had lost 1.7kg (3.7lbs) in comparison to the week before that and yet I had only lost around 0.2” off of my waist. This week I have only lost 100gms of weight, yet I have managed to lose 0.8” around my waist and rest of the bodily measurements is down by comparable margin as well!

Now I haven’t been as regular in exercising, as earlier weeks, but have been working out somewhat more aggressively and have somewhat upped my protein intake. Could this have had an impact?

Yes, your exercise can definitely determine inches. I have had weeks where I went down in inches, but the scale barely moved. This past week, my only exercise was walking and I lost 2 pounds, but my measurements didn't change at all. Don't forget that we have fat stored in cells that are not visible to the eye. So sometimes we lose non-visible fat, and sometimes we gain and lose body weight from water retention/flushing.