Protein amounts daily?

Options
I was reading an interesting article last night that stated someone who is trying to build lean muscle and lose body fat should be consuming approximately 1 gram per pound they weigh. That seems quite a bit to me. Does anyone have any good information on protein?

Replies

• swgraphics
    Options
    Hey meyerstwiligh, that is the accepted rule. However, as a vegetarian, I've cut that gram-per-ounce in half and have gained muscle. Ph and acidic/alkaline balance are two keys to being healthy. Too much sugar and meat are conducive to an acidic body. To quote a doctor: "consuming too much protein is like pouring acid rain on your bones. The quality of the protein source is important also.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    1g per lb LEAN body mass.. that is- your body weight minus the amount of fat you carry, You can use an online calculator to approximate your LBM/% BF. :-)
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I've been researching this a lot lately since I started eating more of a vegetarian diet. Nice responses so far!
  • seedawg23
    seedawg23 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Hey meyerstwiligh, that is the accepted rule. However, as a vegetarian, I've cut that gram-per-ounce in half and have gained muscle. Ph and acidic/alkaline balance are two keys to being healthy. Too much sugar and meat are conducive to an acidic body. To quote a doctor: "consuming too much protein is like pouring acid rain on your bones. The quality of the protein source is important also.

What protein sources do you use with your vegetarian diet?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    At least 1g/kg. I'm 115lbs and I typically get 60-70g protein a day.
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    At least 1g/kg. I'm 115lbs and I typically get 60-70g protein a day.

I eat 3 times this much.. but I'm also a lot bigge (heavier) than you. Do I NEED that much protein? No, but it works for me right now.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I was reading an interesting article last night that stated someone who is trying to build lean muscle and lose body fat should be consuming approximately 1 gram per pound they weigh. That seems quite a bit to me. Does anyone have any good information on protein?

Protein recommendations will depend on several factors. Generally speaking, 1g/lb LBM will be a sufficient amount to cover the majority of people under most conditions, exceptions possibly being bodybuilders in a deficit approaching contest prep, or those who have pharmaceutical assistance (dat der celltech).

Now, 1g/lb lbm may be above and beyond sufficient for different circumstances (new and obese trainees generally can get by on less, people eating in a caloric surplus or at maintenance intake can usually get by on less) but that being said, excess protein intake isn't harmful and in a lot of cases (but certainly not all) protein is satiating so consuming on the high end isn't harmful provided that you're still meeting fat minimums and you're still eating enough carbs to train hard.
  • swgraphics
    Options

Legumes, barley, Quinoa (excellent) if you're not a vegan, egg whites. Tofu, nuts seeds
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Not the poster you were quoting but I am a vegetarian. Most of my protein comes from milk, gluten, greek yogurt and soy plus other less protein 'dense' foods such as eggs, nuts and nut butters, nutritional yeast, cheese, veggies. I supplement with protein powder (usually whey or a blend).
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    ^^ as above. I'm a veggie and I aim for a minimum of 110 ( my LBM) but usually manage to get around 150g per day.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Sounds like you already got good information on protein
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I try to sick with somewhere in between 1g/lb and 1g/lbm, that gives me a goal of at least 100g day. I follow a 30% protein, 30% fat and 40% carb diet and with that I can make my protein goals. I use a lot of greek yogurts, cottage cheese, egg whites, and an occasional protein supplement since I really only eat meat/poultry/fish once a day.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

Sounds like you already got good information on protein

This is my understanding also,I aim for 125g per day
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1gram of protein per pound of Lean Body Mass (or if your trying to GAIN muscle - Desired Lean Body Mass).

It is only 1g per pound of body weight if you are at your maintainance weight. After all - a 300lb man does not need to eat 300g of protein a day if his LBM is only 125 pounds.

Some adhere to less if maintaining weight but the 1g/lb LBM is an easy golden rule of thumb for everyone.

Many serious body builders consume up to 2g/lb of LBM but for those keen to maintain LBM while losing weight anywhere between 0.8-1.5g/lb of LBM is perfectly good.