net calories

Options
Hi everyone. Well I just started up again and confused about the net calories. I'm below 1200 in net calories is that good or bad. Please view my diary and see if it good. Thanks!!!

Replies

• emersonkelly
    Options
    Eating less number of calories makes you unhealthy and sick. So, you must eat required number of calories- these depends on the gender; females must multiple their weight by 12 and males must multiple their weight by 15.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    The calorie target that MFP sets for you is already at a deficit to what your body is burning, that's why you should make sure that your net calories are as close as possible to your target. One day doesn't make a difference, but if you consistently eat a caloric amount that's too low you can risk slowing your metabolism and inhibiting fat loss.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    The calorie target that MFP sets for you is already at a deficit to what your body is burning, that's why you should make sure that your net calories are as close as possible to your target. One day doesn't make a difference, but if you consistently eat a caloric amount that's too low you can risk slowing your metabolism and inhibiting fat loss.

^^ this
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can't see your diary, sorry.

Are you EATING more than 1200 but then your exercise takes the net figure below that? I think that's less of a problem than actually eating below 1200, where your body will struggle to get all the nutrients it needs.
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Are you EATING more than 1200 but then your exercise takes the net figure below that? I think that's less of a problem than actually eating below 1200, where your body will struggle to get all the nutrients it needs.

I believe the opposite - Your body goes in to starvation mode if your NET cals are under.
    So, if you burned 300 cals doing exercise, you should eat 1500.

I recently changed my settings to losing 1/2 pound per week, so my intake is now 1370,
    and I EAT ALL extra exercise cals.

So I'm actually eating between 1600-1900.

Since I did that, I'm losing weight FASTER, because my body trusts that I'm going to feed it.

But I don't use MFP's exercise cal info. I use beats per minute to calculate calorie burn,
    and I record NET burn, not GROSS burn.

Here's a link to a site that does that for you -
    http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • onehotma602
    onehotma602 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for ur response. I going to try to come close to my net calories and see how my weight lose goes.
    My Diary is now open to the public.