How Do You Destress?

Options
I had a pretty bad day today. Without getting into the details of it, I was pretty close to having a hefty portion of the kids' chocolate chop ice cream. Instead, though, I threw on my boxing gloves and went outside for about 10 minutes.

I can't tell you how great it felt to hit the heavy bag again. To feel the supports moan and creak every time I hit it with my right was really theraputic. I used to kickbox and decided to throw in a few kick and knees as well, but I still have to find my sea legs for that.

Then I came in a skipped rope and did a few jumping jacks. Good oold fashioned work out.

After that, I felt much better and decided instead of having the ice cream I would have a bowl of cereal with soy milk.

It's be great to find out what others do to destress.

Let me know!

(p.s. this is a repost from my blog)

Replies

• kleeba
    kleeba Posts: 11
    Options
    Oooohhhh...I LOVE your de-stressing method! A hard workout does it every time! Good Job Kitty!
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    I de-stress with music, I find all the sad songs I love, the tear-jerkers, the ones that make me flat-out ball like a baby and I sing them with all the passion and energy in my body.
    I used to be a singer on stage for many years, I still have the pipes and I belt it out, let the tears fall, let the passion pass through me. I make that moment in time all about nothing, absolutely nothing, except for the song, my voice and the emotions that I feel singing.
    As all that energy and air leaves my body with every note, and the songs finish, the tears stop falling, I breathe deeply and just imagine that all the stress and tension just left me with it.

I know it's not really exercise, but it's my favorite way to de-stress. I used to go horseback riding alot for the same effect.
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I haven't sung in a while, at least in front of an audience, Cherokee. I had a medical procedure which shortened my range, but I understand what you're saying about letting it all flow through you.

Thanks for the input!
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    I have to say I use music too. today started out pretty rotten for me but it was a gorgeous day, in the mid 70's on the coast. I drove around with the sunroof open and sang along with all the poppy songs on the radio. I like a good workout too when Im feeling stressed but i'm still getting over a small ankle spain so that wasnt really an option today. its always nice to have a back up destressing plan!
  • kittytrix
    Options
    Are you on the west coast, Kas? I'm in Cali, too!
  • kas1021
    kas1021 Posts: 92
    Options
    yeah. i'm in central cali, monterey bay. where are you?
  • kittytrix
    Options
    I'm in the High Desert near Las Vegas. We should be taking a trip that way this summer. Should be great!
  • jclguru
    jclguru Posts: 123
    Options
    When I signed up for Taekwondo and Muay Thai, it came with the option to do
    Cage Fitness for free.

For me, there's nothing like sweating my *ss off and getting to pound a grappling
    dummy to a pulp.

Thats my stress reliever.

Doug
  • littlelisa24
    Options
    I destress by going for a run! Their is nothing like pounding pavement! I grab my iPod and running shoes and go. However, I think the punching bag would be fun also. Kitty awsome I'm 15mins north of san Fran!
  • kittytrix
    Options
    I used to do Krav Maga. It was a blast. My schedule doesn't allow me to go back, but I crave it!
  • kittytrix
    Options
    Cool LittleLisa! Always wanted to visit San Fran and I will with the kiddies one day!
  • staps065
    staps065 Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Working out for sure! I do it every morning before work. although it's hard to get up, it sets me for the day. Without it, my head would probably explode.... Bonus: I burn calories and get to enjoy some more eat! Plus, plus, plus!:happy: