kitchen re-fit microwave meals ideas

Options
Hi I'm having a new kitchen fitten next week will have no cooker for about 3-4 days maybe even longer.....could do with some microwave meal ideas ....Jacket potatoes + toppings come to mind . other than that I'm looking at ready meals .....

Replies

• 50kgRussianBallerina
    Options
    You can cook almost anything in the microwave.
    Oatmeal
    Eggs
    Make salad (no cooking required...)
    Other things that don't need to be cooked, obviously (cheese, yogurt, deli meat, etc.)
    Cook veggies
    Popcorn lol
    You can still cook meat in the microwave - esp. chicken and fish
    Sweet potatoes
    Spaghetti squash

I seriously think you can use a microwave for nearly everything. What do you normally eat? I bet you can still make it in the microwave.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fish is great in the microwave - choose a thing fillet, drizzle with a little lemon jiice, oil maybe a splash of white wine. Season with black pepper. I like to add a few capers, but it's personal choice. Put all that in a shallow bowl, cover with a plate or some microwavable film, and zap for a minute. Check to see how its going. Zap at 30 second intervals until the fish is opaque and flakes with a fork.
  • msbunnie68
    msbunnie68 Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Make some of your favourite meals now, weigh them out and portion them then freeze them. Use microwave to defrost. YUM...and you can pre-log them too.
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    You can make microwave brownies too:) Look for the recipe online.

You can cook chicken or fish in a cooking bag in the microwave.

Cook broccoli, cauliflower, potato whatever you like.

I used to use microwave for everything when I was at college.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I'd echo the above.
    My mum was never an enthusiastic cook.
    For quite a lot of years we lived with just a microwave for cooking.
    Won't get stuff as brown, unless you have a combination microwave, of course - but you can still cook all the same stuff.

Can actually get 'browning trays' for microwaves, but certainly not worth the hassle.

Of course, being excellent for reheating, you can always cook your meals before hand and keep them in the fridge/freezer and have pretty much the same food.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Just cook some food now and put it in the freezer.

You can also steam veggies, rice and potatoes in the microwave.
    You can cook an egg by taking it out of the shell and into a mug (just google how long, I don't remember).
    Noodles can be made with just boiled water from a kettle.

You can also just make a big salad a couple of days.
  • Hellie24
    Hellie24 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your ideas I have a few now & I'm sure we will manage Kitchenre-fit starts tomorrow so should have done a bit more prepping but I love fish,rice,eggs have some low calorie ready meals a pre made shepherds pie for tomorrow evening....
    I also remembered my George Forman so I dont think we will starve....
    Actually quite looking forwards to the challenge may not besaying same at the end of next week if the builder has too many delays...
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    Porridge
    Noodles
    Eggs
    Bacon
    Jacket potatoes
    Boiled potatoes
    Boiled vegetables
    Low fat ready meals
    Scrambled eggs
    Spaghetti
    Pasta and sauce
    Stew
    Soups

And if you have a slow cooker you could put bits in there too xxx
  • keelz2010
    Options
    Little fish in parsley sauce packs with steam in the bag veg
    Weight watchers meals with steamed veg
    Porridge
    Poached eggs
    Scrambled eggs
    Tin toms
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    There's some great risotto recipes you can make rather hassle free in the microwave :3 A few by the UK's Good Food programmes I think some are free on their websites- if not I'm sure a quick google will find them :D
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    With a 'george' too there should be very little else that you need - as the main bit 'lacking' in the microwave is the 'browning' aspect.
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Buy a hotplate!