CHANGING CALORIES QUESTIONS

Options
Okay, so I need this to be idiot proof. Right now MFP says I am to be eating about 2,000 calories per day. I am losing weight. Most days I am a little less than the 2000, occasionally a little more. Do the number of calories change as I lose. . .why. . .how does it work. If this question has been answered a hundred times, please post the link. Thanks from a newbie who is trying very hard to change her lifestyle, tired of dieting.

Replies

• cindyfaye
    cindyfaye Posts: 72
    Options
    Okay, so I need this to be idiot proof. Right now MFP says I am to be eating about 2,000 calories per day. I am losing weight. Most days I am a little less than the 2000, occasionally a little more. Do the number of calories change as I lose. . .why. . .how does it work. If this question has been answered a hundred times, please post the link. Thanks from a newbie who is trying very hard to change her lifestyle, tired of dieting.
  • luvs2havefun
    Options
    think that the calories remain the same as long as your weekly weight loss goal remains the same...I'm not positive though (I'm also pretty new at this).

Correct me if I'm wrong guys:smile:
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Your alloted calories will go down because as you get smaller your body doesn't need as many calories to survive. I think as long as you are checking in the website automatically changes it for you every 10 lbs or so.
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    As lose weight, you will eventually need less calories. The bigger the body, the more calories are needed to keep everything functioning. When the body is smaller, it doesn't need as much, and the calories are lessened. Check your BMR often as you are losing weight, it will tell you how much calories your body needs just for daily functions based on your body size. Hope this helps!
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Whoa....debuckl beat me to it:smile:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    MFP will let you know when it's time to change food goals and number of calories per week--as long as you keep your check-in weight up to date anyway!
  • cindyfaye
    Options
    Thank you, that makes sense, I've been losing with mfp's formula so far. What is BMR and how do I figure out mine?
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Your alloted calories will go down because as you get smaller your body doesn't need as many calories to survive. I think as long as you are checking in the website automatically changes it for you every 10 lbs or so.

Exactly! MFP prompts me to reset my calories every 10 lbs I lose.....you have the option to allow MFP to change it or you can wait to be asked again after the next 10 lbs! I started with 1890 calories and now I only get 1430.....so it does go down! And along with the increase in exercise as I feel better about myself and the decrease in cravings, it all works out well!
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Look under "tools"...it'll explain BMR and walk you through calculating yours!
  • cindyfaye
    Options
    Awesome, thank you very much!
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options

Exactly! MFP prompts me to reset my calories every 10 lbs I lose.....you have the option to allow MFP to change it or you can wait to be asked again after the next 10 lbs! I started with 1890 calories and now I only get 1430.....so it does go down! And along with the increase in exercise as I feel better about myself and the decrease in cravings, it all works out well!

Wow, 77 pounds lost, that is AMAZING! Well done!!
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    So what happens if you start your diet off at 1200 a day.. then..when you lose weight you go down to less calories than that? I better get used to eating carrot sticks for my meals!:sad: :sad:
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    So what happens if you start your diet off at 1200 a day.. then..when you lose weight you go down to less calories than that? I better get used to eating carrot sticks for my meals!:sad: :sad:

MFP won't let you go below 1,200 calories per day. :flowerforyou:
  • TurtleShell
    TurtleShell Posts: 19
    Options
    good to know about the 1200 calories thing.
  • Pamy
    Pamy Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I have 71 pounds to lose and have been givin a calorie allowance of 1200 if MFP wont let you go under 1200 cals how do i keep loseing weight ?
  • IndigoElectron
    IndigoElectron Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I think you just lose it more slowly as you get smaller. I only have 8 or 9 pounds to go and my predicted weight loss is 1/2 pound a week.
  • MontanaGirl
    MontanaGirl Posts: 1,251 Member
    Options
    I have 71 pounds to lose and have been givin a calorie allowance of 1200 if MFP wont let you go under 1200 cals how do i keep loseing weight ?

It's not healthy for your body to consume less than 1200 calories. I would suggest that if you have 71 lbs to lose, that 1200 calories per day is not enough and you will go into starvation mode in a quick hurry. I would think that you should be eating more than that right now. I have 48 lbs left to lose and I get just over 1600 calories per day. When I am consistant and not so stressed out that my body is completely out of wack I lose consistantly. Maybe check out some of Viviakay's posts and Healthier Me. And of course Banks :happy: