Weight gain from anti-depressants

Options
Over the past 2 years I've put on about 50 pounds. Now I weigh 180 pounds. (I'm 5'8", male, 20 years old)

The reason why I put on so much weight is because I was put on anti-depressants and anti-psychotics: Abilify, Lexapro, and Effexor. They have helped me tremendously with my mental health, which I'm thankful for. However, they gave me a huge appetite and I couldn't stop eating. I was constantly craving food. This was new to me because, growing up, I never had much of an appetite. I was always known as the skinny guy. Now people are surprised at how much weight I've gained. It sucks and I want to do something about it. Going off the meds is NOT an option for me to lose weight. I tried that once, and after a month, my severe OCD, anxiety, and depression returned with a vengeance. It took about a week for me to get back to normal. I realize now that, without my mental health, I cannot lose weight properly.

My goal is to lose about 20-30 pounds by June, which I know is definitely possible. I plan on jogging for about 20 minutes every morning 6 days a week, and to consume a healthy diet.

So that's basically my story. I'm curious...has anyone else here gained weight on medication similar to mine? and were you able to successfully lose the weight?

Thanks for your time.

tl;dr - I gained weight while taking Abilify, Effexor, and Lexapro. Wondering if anyone else gained weight on anti-depressants and did you lose the weight?

Replies

• fishiewishes
    fishiewishes Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I gained a load of weight from my medication - I was on anti seizure meds for 3 years (which I shouldnt have been on in the first place due to misdiagnosis) and have been on anti depressants for 5 years now for severe anxiety. Before going on the meds I worked my butt off and had dropped down to my goal weight in my ticker (was heavier than I am now, lost over 150lb). So you can see how much the meds "helped" me gain. Before I was on them wouldnt touch junk and never over ate and then I turned into a living vacuum cleaner. When I started MFP I tried not taking my pills and yeah.... it didnt end well, anxiety went through the roof and I ate back the 20lb I lost. But before I went off my meds I was doing VERY well.

The only way Ive been able to to manage it is by keeping food away from me, having no snacks in the house, not buying random stuff when I go to the grocery store and sticking to a set list. Im trying to become more active and currently taking "baby steps" to get back into exercise by getting off the bus half way on my daily travel and then walking the last mile or so into town, then repeating the process going home.
  • LynneM150
    LynneM150 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Hi Ortax, I gained 28lbs in a very short space of time earlier this year whilst on antidepressants. I had already put on about 14lbs due to the depression itself but the additional weight gain made me feel worse. I saw my doctor about the gain but he wouldn't change my meds until i had been on them for 3 months minimum. I eventually had the strength adjusted and i felt happier. I am still on them but the weight gain subsided and now i am focusing on losing the additional weight. I feel more positive now I'm losing the weight, I'm just aiming for small steady losses. Also regular exercise, even just once a week really helps my depression too. Good Luck!
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I am also on Abilify and some other meds which list weight gain as their potential symptoms. So far I haven't been successful in overcoming the weight I've put on, but I also know that when I'm depressed, I tend to "emotional" eat and move like a sluggard, so maybe they cancel each other out? Either way, it's frustrating.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Could you maybe change the med to something that helps you crave less? The good thing about calorie counting is that you can control your intake and see how much you are eating. Stay on a small deficit and you will definitely see results. Don't be discouraged if you go over some days, it happens. Good luck!
  • Bess_74
    Options
    Many anti-depressants have weight gain as a side effect, speak to the prescribing Dr & share your concerns, most anti-depressants have alternatuve available that do not cause weight gain. Good luck!
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I had lost 35 pounds 3 years ago (down in the 180s) but was put on Ablilify and Seroquel and gained it all back, plus some. I switched to other medications (lithium and lamictal) and my appetite is much more under control. Now I am slowly losing weight. I know it's hard; for those that don't know, the hunger these meds can produce is so intense it's hard to ignore. I would eat til my stomach physically hurt and still be starving. So it's not just a matter of willpower.