Weigh in daily VS. Weigh in weekly

Options
Which one do you think is better?

Replies

• La_dolce_vita_222
    Options
    I've read weekly is better. Apparently daily weight fluctuates since the amount of water we tend to hold varies every day and our bodies take time to show real changes in weight. But I step on the scales every day and it can get frustrating when you don't see it moving.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily keeps me thinking about my weight. If the number goes up a little, it makes me want to work harder. If the number goes down a little, it makes me want to work harder. It works for me best to weigh daily. My weight does not normally fluctuate daily.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Weighing in weekly is preferable, monthly is even better. Weight fluctuates on a day to day basis, if the scale doesn't affect you in any way then daily is fine but not necessary.
  • tewmom
    tewmom Posts: 29
    Options
    I like to weigh in daily, it keeps me in check. If I go up a little it motivates me to make healthier choices that day, if it goes down I work even harder.
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    The problem with weighing daily is that you naturally fluctuate. If you're a half pound heavier today than yesterday will keeping to your healthy diet and exercise you DID NOT gain half a pound of fat. You don't need to cut your calories or run even harder today because most likely its just a little extra water hanging around inside your system.
    That being said, I usually step on the scale 2 or 3 times a week so I have an idea of what to compare my monday weigh in with, so if I'm unhappy with my official number I know how affected by other factors it may be. But I don't bother if theyre a little up in down, I just use them as data to average out in the end.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Weekly. Weighing in daily would drive me crazy.
  • qnih
    qnih Posts: 16
    Options
    I weigh in daily (first thing every morning) and calculate a 7-day moving average to help smooth out daily fluctuations. I'd rather get the feedback sooner than later.
  • yogeshsarkar
    yogeshsarkar Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Although at times I get on the scale during the week as well, but I don’t log it. I only log what I measure on Saturday morning and trying hard to stick to it.
  • Kimberly121
    Kimberly121 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Weighing in daily has worked for me. I am not frustrated with fluctuations because I understand that that's just what the body does. It just keeps me on top of my game. After each weigh in I record my weight on a chart so I can see patterns of weight loss and gain. The record is also a great motivator because I know if I got past a rough spot in the 60s, 50s, and 40s, I know I can get past these last pounds now!
  • AshleighPhilp1
    Options
    To be honest, I know that I should weigh in weekly, but I step on the scales every other morning and have lost a minimum of a pound, so I record it. It also keeps me motivated to keep going!
  • BobSassafrass
    BobSassafrass Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning in just my boxers. I take 3 day averages to cut out most fluctuations and only report my weight to MFP when I have 3 consecutive days that are similar. I like knowing where I'm at, even though it doesn't drastically change my diet it does make me exercise a lil harder if I go up too much.
  • poseyj88
    poseyj88 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I weigh in daily. I only record every Monday morning though. When I know I've been bad about eating and that my weight is higher, I tend to avoid the scale.... leading to denial.

It keeps me in check.

And I understand that my weight will fluctuate a bit. So I don't freak out when I'm a pound higher from day to day.
  • martintanz
    Options
    Daily. There are plusses and minuses to weighing in daily but I recommend it for the following reasons. If your weight goes up a couple of lbs in one day, you notice it immediately. That is a good thing. Second, it forces you to stay with the program. My wife did Weight Watchers, though she recently stopped. She told me it wasn't working for most of the women in her group, many of whom have been doing it for more than 6 months. The weekly meeting and weigh in fosters a maintenance mentality. Overat for 2 or 3 days, then diet for 3 or 4 days before the weigh in.
  • ChrisYVR
    Options
    Daily, for sure. It keeps me mindful of my progress. It also educates me as to what makes my daily weight fluctuate, besides food intake - like a lot of carbs on a certain day, or a lot of salt will make my weight go up a bit. Those who say weekly because of the daily fluctuations - my thought is you can have those same fluctuations weekly and you have to wait another week to see if it is a fluctuation or not. Cheers everyone and keep moving forward :smile:
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning in just my boxers. I take 3 day averages to cut out most fluctuations and only report my weight to MFP when I have 3 consecutive days that are similar. I like knowing where I'm at, even though it doesn't drastically change my diet it does make me exercise a lil harder if I go up too much.

^^^ This
  • stockholmhasago
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only record weekly.
  • nswezey89
    nswezey89 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have a scale compulsion lol. I can't help but to weigh myself everyday :(.