Menopause sucks....HELP!

Options
Christineab
Christineab Posts: 28 Member
Anyone experiencing symptoms of menopause? I'm almost 45 and have been going through peri-menopause for the past few years. I've been experiencing gas, bloating, weight gain, and let's not talk about the homonal changes. Has anyone tried anything that actually helps?

Replies

• SaraBiston1
    SaraBiston1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    These are some way which helps to give you relief from Menopause symptoms.

- Exercising for 30 minutes a day becomes especially important during and after menopause, since it increases bone strength, improves circulation, reduces stiffness, promotes bowel regularity, helps relieve insomnia and allows for higher levels of good (HDL) cholesterol.
    - Good Healthy Diet
    - Stress can make almost all symptoms of menopause worse. Reduce Stress.
    - Acupuncture, aromatherapy, reflexology and massage are some of the most popular ways of rejuvenating the hormonal system and naturally relieving the symptoms of menopause.
  • angelique_redhead
    angelique_redhead Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Some of us got on replacement hormones when we just couldn't stand the hot flashes and lack of sex drive any more.
  • Ambermarigold
    Ambermarigold Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Hi Christine,

I can empathise with early menopause. Mine started at age 38 whilst under going Chemo, then 9 months later drs gave me an intentional and permanent medically induced menopause. I felt it almost immediately... within just 2-3 days of the implant being injected. I began to experience all the dreadful side - effects women talk about, in their 50's or 60's normally!! I'm now about 1 1/2 years into menopause.

I'm not sure I can give you any new ideas of ways to cope, but I can tell you what I think are helpful:

Night Sweats:
    - Wearing natural fibres and using a cotton pillow case.
    - Having a damp flannel / face cloth and ice cubes in a bowl beside the bed. Ice keeps the flannel cold for hours.
    - A Chillow (cold pillow) or similar product designed to aid poor sleep by by making one side of the pillow always cool. I wish I'd heard of this type of product when mine were at their worst! I've friends who've bought a Chillow and are happy with it. It also appears to have the most good reviews. There are cheaper options though. Here's a link to Amazon.com below:
    http://www.amazon.com/mn/search/?encoding=UTF8?&tag=inline3-20&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&field-keywords=amazon.com#/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_7?url=search-alias=hpc&field-keywords=chillow&sprefix=chillow,aps,334&rh=n:3760901,k:chillow

Exercise:
    - To naturally tire yourself and reduce insomnia. Especially good if outside, as sunlight helps to lift a poor mood.

Stiff & Painful Joints:
    - I was advised by my hospital drs to take Evening Primrose Oil. I know some people should not take this, so please check first. To have any affect, it has to be taken at the maximum dose possible for a minumum of 3 months. Look around before you buy - different brands will provide different quantites of active ingrediant. You need the highest one. Always use your drs guidence. Side effects are not pleasant and it can interfere with other meds but it can be very effective in a few people, though sadly I wasn't one of them and my arthritis remained the same.
    - Cider Vinegar and honey daily. This is something several friends of mine have told me how much it's helped, though I've yet to try myself. The evidence surrounding it is interesting!! See this article:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1241303/Vinegar-honey-cured-crippling-arthritis-says-delighted-organist.html
    - Massage and warmth using a compress that can go in the microwave and lasts hours. Theraheat pads are very good and cheap over the internet.

I hope some of this helps.

Amber xx
  • jenduv2012
    Options
    Definitely try to figure out what works for you. You can use a traditional journal or an app like myPause that allows you to track symptoms, come up with a custom plan, see what is working and what doesn't, and allows you to email everything to your provider. Menopause treatments are by no means a one-size fits all.

Start with exercise, a solid nutritional plan, add flaxseeds to your diet, and go from there.