Advice on my first 5K

Options
Help! I just registered for my first 5K on Thanksgiving morning next week... and I'm looking for advice! I can do a 5K on the treadmill, 0% incline, in about 34 minutes, but I'm sure real-life-running will be slower by a lot. What do I need to know to prepare?!? I'm nervous!

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Lots of great first race info in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279198-running-tip-so-you-are-about-to-do-your-first-race

He covers everything from a marathon to a 5k, and it helped me with my first 5k jitters! Give it a read through, hope it helps.

Most of all, have fun! It will feel different that running on a treadmill, but the excitement of it being your first race, and being in a crowd of runners will carry you through.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    ive ran a few 5k and after that i did a 10 miler. at 1st i was just nervous about finishing last. but everyone is there to run and most the runners that are there are very supportive. just run it. its like any other run you have ver done. i mean when your running in the gym or whatever are you scared people are gonna see you? ull do fine. just make sure to stretch and eat somthing small like a bannana or somthing
  • stoudts
    stoudts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips! The post you linked to was especially helpful.
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    pace yourself.

you will run faster than normal because of the excitement and the experienced trotters.

start at the end of the pack and work your way up. Stay comfortable, even if you have allot of energy, don't go fast.

enjoy!
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Have fun, go with the flow of the other runners and try not to lose to anyone in fancy dress :-)
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    First race, just go out and have fun! Don't start out too fast (even though you'll REALLY want too) Gotta make sure you have enough fuel in the tank to finish. Running outside is different, but you may surprise yourself...and it's definitely way more entertaining!

Good luck!
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    You'll do fine. Follow the advice about starting slow and working your way up. Or maybe even starting slow and just finishing lol. I've done 3 now, came in 2d in my age group on the last one I ran. You will find it different on the route rather than a treadmill, but running is running. It'll be good for you to switch it up.
  • frefrebelle
    frefrebelle Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic!

I am two runs away from finishing c25k and have signed myself up for the "Santa run", a charity 5k on 9 Dec...and am panicking!

My husband, who is one of those irritating skinny healthy guys who runs 3 times a week for FUN, is going to go running outside with me to get me prepared, because the one time I tried to run outside I found it very difficult to pace myself.

So please, some advice on what to wear, how to pace yourself etc :)

Good luck :)

Ps I am very slow, nearer 40 mins to complete a 5k
  • marycmeadows
    marycmeadows Posts: 1,691 Member
    Options
    runners are very supportive. I just finished my first half marathon last weekend. I'd suggest you try to start running outside too. It is a lot different than running on a treadmill. Also when I do run on a treadmill I always run on a 1% incline - never 0%. You'll only notice the incline at first. also, have fun! :)
  • debbiemercer
    Options
    Hello. I'm the director of USAFIt, a nationwide half marathon and marathon training program. We also train people for shorter distances like 5k/10k's. if you have been running a 5k distance on the treadmill, you should be fine on the streets as long as you dress for the weather. If it is cold, don't overdress as you will warm up quickly. You should be a little cold standing around before the race starts. Wear a jacket that you can tie around your waist if you get too warm. In really cold weather, wear gloves and something over your ears. You might try the 5/1 run walk method. That is running for 5 minutes and then walking for 1 minute. We have groups of people who train this way and run their marathons doing it 5/1's. Good luck next week and have fun!
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    runners are very supportive. I just finished my first half marathon last weekend. I'd suggest you try to start running outside too. It is a lot different than running on a treadmill. Also when I do run on a treadmill I always run on a 1% incline - never 0%. You'll only notice the incline at first. also, have fun! :)
    \

I was going to say this also! Running with a 0.5-1.0% incline makes the treadmill more similar to running outdoors.

You will do great! I am running a 5k on Thanksgiving morning too :) After you can load up on lot's of yummy food :)
  • stoudts
    stoudts Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone -- these are all a great help!