late night eating

Options
I was wondering if anyone could clarify this. Is it really bad to eat late at night even if what I eat is not bad. I get caught up doing thing with my 2 kids and DH and by the time I have time for me it is around 10 and that is when I can prepare my healthy dinner. This happens to me at least 3 times a week. Is this sabotaging my weight loss. I am wondering because for the past 2 weeks I have only lost 3 lbs and I have never gone over my calories and I exercise 3 days a week with weights and cardio another 3 hours a week. I am getting frustrated with this. Could the night time dinners be the culprit??? Does anyone have some insight to this.

Replies

• FabiolaEnvy♥
    Options
    its bad to eat late. cause your body doesnt work as much at night.
    your metabolism is much more slower at night than it is during the day. rather its healthy or not.
    you should probably try to plan out something tonight for your dinner time. or when you make lunch think of something to eat for dinner and make that. so you dont have to worry about eating sooo late. just eat around 5-7 pm.
    also if you are eating late you gotta give yourself at least 3 hours of nothing before heading to bed except water. cause your metabolism is trying to burn it. and once you head to sleep after you eat. its just kinda gives up.
    hope that helps
  • jojordan
    jojordan Posts: 8
    Options
    I've been told the same thing and that it is not the food that you eat but the fact that by eating so late you are not going to be doing any activity to counteract eating so late. Does that make sense? I don't think it would be a problem if you were going to be an active little night owl. I try to allow myself enough time to have the food start in digestion and then do some cleaning or Wii fit before i hit the sack. That ensures that the food doesn't just "sit" on my belly the whole night.
  • kritinc
    kritinc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Read "Master Your Metabolism", Jillian Michaels. She is very clear about why late night eating hinders not only your sleep, but your hormones that would otherwise be helping you burn calories.
  • marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Options
    I read that it's ok to eat HEALTHY food at night but the reason most people don't recommend eating at night is because most people tend to much on crisps and junk at night, whilst watching TV or something. And also, like the others have mentioned, your metabolism slows down. So, as I've read and been told, don't eat anything 3 hours before you sleep. :)
  • pixietwilight
    pixietwilight Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the info. I am going to try to stick to no eating at least 3 hours before. kritinc I will be sure to look for that book.