What happens if you have a bad diet day?

Options

Replies

• TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    The first thing I do is to tell the internet about it in great detail.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    This brings up such a powerful question: how did we get set into the mind trap that we are bad if we eat something that is, say, less than healthy, and we must shame ourselves. Honestly, I think it is fascinating because I think the majority of us feel that way. I know I do and I'm trying to figure out why. I was never really overweight, I don't think. I was thin as a kid, thin most of my adult life. I'm 5'6" and when I hit the big 5-0, I realized I was a tad heavier than I wished to be (147). I never thought I was obese or hugely overweight, but wanted to get healthier. But I would do the same thing the OP did. Make a bad choice one day and feel really guilty over it. Just saying, I think it is interesting and if we could figure out why we beat ourselves up over it, we might be able to beat it!
  • calisunrise
    Options
    Nothing will happen as long as you didn't eat that much more than you burned on that day (3500 kcal = 1lb). Simply, don't do it again on the following day.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Today was a bad day for my diet, but I'm not sure what caused me to steer off course. I feel ashamed and annoyed with myself. What should I do tomorrow, or what can I do in the future to not have a bad diet day?

What happens is that you forgive yourself and move on. One bad day will not destroy the rest of your life. In the future, try logging your food ahead of time, if possible. I have found that when I pre-plan, I don't get off track. :flowerforyou:

ETA: Love your profile pic! :smile:
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    i went out for a meal with friends last night. madeith going out healthy but still with goung out....i did drink alot of wine and did share pudding. so i know i went over. and i knew i would. but today im back to normal eating the way i usually do. last night was a very rare occasion ( as i have children). i can understand your frustration and i too used to have yhia guilt assosicated with food. which us
  • sandobr1
    sandobr1 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How bad was it really, when I think I have had a bad day I look at what I would get to eat if I were in "maintain your weight" often times I am still under this caloric goal. The day might not have been as bad as you think.

Start new the next day maybe plan out the day with lots of healthy choices picked out in advance and STICK TO IT. Take an extra long walk, gym, whatever you can. and finally don't dwell on it, really you are not going to go the rest of your life without the occasional bad day, just make sure it is the exception and not the rule.
  • donnas144
    donnas144 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    but now i look at the bigger picture. i allow myself treats in moderatiob generally unless like last night.. i also think this is why ive suceeded in loosing 1stone 10lbs. dont punish yourself just eat as normal.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    Its just one day. As long as it doesn't turn into 2 or 3 or more your fine. Don't beat yourself up over it. Make today a fresh start and get back on that horse.
  • Scottish_charlene_84
    Options
    I have a bday diet day eery ssat and its awesome! i control myself 6 days a week and do what i want on the 7th. ive lost a lot of weight so doesnt do me any harm. u need to live
  • Wanderson1311
    Wanderson1311 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Usually when I have a bad day I feel gross and sick. I try not to let it get me too down but then it usually always does because i feel i have let myself down and others.
    The bad days are going to happen its how you deal with them that makes it all better. Don't let the bad out weigh the good. That is what my husband and family say. Pick yourself up and just review your daily food counter and see where the day curved for the bad and just remember that we all fail.
  • colleenswe
    Options
    I too, have 1 bad diet day every week and have lost weight....It's a easy way to not feel guilty, so if I want something I shouldn't have I wait until Saturday...Most of the time by Saturday I have already forgot about it....However, that is my day to eat whatever.....
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    spank yourself & start again tomorrow!
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Log it and move on. I never tried to make up lost ground by over exercising the next day or cutting calories further. Took me 16 months to hit goal, and I had plenty of bad days, both planned and unplanned.
  • sharonpink
    sharonpink Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I think for the first time in my life I am taking a different mind set toward "dieting." Since this truly has to be a life change for me (I need to lose 100 lbs!), for instance, yesterday I had what you call a "bad day." Actually the day was pretty good and I partied last night and ate a huge meal, with dessert, and had drinks and went about 800 calories over my calorie level. So, this morning, I could say to myself, "Oh, what the hell, I screwed up" and stop the whole dieting process like I've done in year's past. It was one meal. I'm going to have those "one meals" now and again. Or, I may just eat a whole bag of chips. What you have to tell yourself is that it's not bad, it's just what you did. I hate the fact that "it's bad". What it is is that you ate a whole bag of chips - or whatever. Don't wait until tomorrow to start in back with your dieting. Do it now. Do it with the next meal. I've made the mistake of "waiting until tomorrow" many times. It has to start with now. Do it now.
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    we all have bad diet days just like we all have bad hair days.. it is what it is . learn from it and move forward with yourself. i lost 80lbs ,gained 30 back due to stupidity and being lazy but i dont beat mself up over it.. im just back on track and glad i caught myself before i gained it all back. life throws lemons at you just make lemonade with it
  • gottagettagrip
    Options
    It's days like this when I am glad I found MFP. Before, if I had a bad day, it would turn into a bad week and then I would completely derail. I love the fact that with MFP, no matter how "bad" I was on a given day, the next morning I have a clean slate. I also love that it tells me "if every day were like today you'd weigh X in 5 weeks." It really puts things in perspective. That being said, I log the ugly days as well as the good days and use the reports to try and identify trends in my behavior--stressors, triggers, etc.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're depriving yourself and setting yourself up for failure. If I eat too many calories I just work out more to make up the calories.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what that would be like. I've never had a bad day and every day is perfect. Yeah, right...
  • sylviatx
    sylviatx Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Move on. The very most wonderful thing is that every day is a new day, every moment is an opportunity for a new choice. Even if your day starts out with a bad choice, you can still make better choices for the rest of the day. And yesterday? Yesterday's gone.

Have a great today! And then string a few together...
  • MichaelFunaro
    MichaelFunaro Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Don't let one bad day become two, three, seven.... and then you are done. Put it behind you, recommit and move on. Take it from someone who has let one bad day completely derail them. You just have to put it behind you and know those days will happen from time to time.