Getting a six pack while endurance training?

Options
Is this even possible?

I love running and even asked you guys here for maraton training tips lately (they were great btw!).

The thing is that I lost a lot of weight past few months and generally consider myself slim right now BUT ... there is always a but , isn't there? ... I'd love to get a six pack like the one on this photo : http://images.sodahead.com/polls/002843099/308145438_0fit25B55D_answer_1_xlarge.jpeg

So my question is, is it even possible to train endurance sports (non-professionally obviously, because those guys all have them) and get six pack the same time? I guess it would require strengh training but doesn't strengh and endurance training counterfight eachother?

Could you recomend me something?

Replies

• ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Of course it's possible to get a six pack while doing endurance training. If you're doing lots of running, then you should be doing some separate core work anyway (eg leg raises or planks for example). Just keep burning fat while eating plenty of protein and eventually you'll get visible abdominal muscles.
  • Carol_L
    Carol_L Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    To get a six-pack requires two things - building the underlying muscle and losing the overlying fat. You need to work on the shorter slow twitch muscles, so if all you are doing is endurance training, it will not happen.

Understand with these kinds of photographs, they use various lighting and make up techniques to emphasize the muscle, and the models undertake particular regimes the week prior to doing the photo shoot. Even they don't look like this all the time.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    if you're eating right, it shouldnt be a problem
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    you were born with a six pack (some have 8 packs)

you don't "get" a six pack, later in life.

after you were born, you started covering up your six pack with fat.

uncover your six pack by losing the fat.

that's it.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    My lowest BF% is typically when I am at the end of a marathon training cycle. I love seeing my abs.
  • ukulele2010
    ukulele2010 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It certainly should be possible to get a six pack while endurance training.
  • head_in_rainbows
    head_in_rainbows Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! You are great as allways!

One of you suggetsed core muscle exercises. I was wandering if there are any that I should do and that wouldn't affect the running ... or is it all a myth that those two things don't go together? ... I guess rybo will know since he trains for marathons :) I am at absolute begining of this so I'd love an advice from someone experianced.

about my six pack being under the fat tishue ... I agree, I just need a way to "uncover it " :P

is there naything particular about the diet I should know?
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    In your case, I would suggest core work. If you are relatively lean already, core work will help them show. For me, diet had just been eating ~ at my maintenance calories. I haven't cut out anything. My abs isn't as defined as the girl in the picture though.
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    The first time my six pack showed up was when I was running 3-4 miles every day. Not endurance training by any means and I still ended up with one. I didn't lift at that point and my diet was healthy but I always added treats in.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

One of you suggetsed core muscle exercises. I was wandering if there are any that I should do and that wouldn't affect the running ... or is it all a myth that those two things don't go together? ... I guess rybo will know since he trains for marathons :) I am at absolute begining of this so I'd love an advice from someone experianced.

about my six pack being under the fat tishue ... I agree, I just need a way to "uncover it " :P

Core exercises & running completely go together. A stringer core means less fatigue during very long runs. Less fatigue means less form break down. Less form breakdown can mean less injury development.

Where the "conflict" comes in is trying to do hardcore heavy lifting & long endurance running. But there is certainly nothing wrong with mixing in a day or 2 a week for strength training(beyond just doing core).
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    you were born with a six pack (some have 8 packs)

you don't "get" a six pack, later in life.

after you were born, you started covering up your six pack with fat.

uncover your six pack by losing the fat.

that's it.

Have you ever seen a baby with a six pack? Don't know my body fat at that time but I guess it was higher than now :)
  • Kamalka
    Kamalka Posts: 164 Member
    Options

Core exercises & running completely go together. A stringer core means less fatigue during very long runs. Less fatigue means less form break down. Less form breakdown can mean less injury development.

Where the "conflict" comes in is trying to do hardcore heavy lifting & long endurance running. But there is certainly nothing wrong with mixing in a day or 2 a week for strength training(beyond just doing core).

Exactly, I would even say that core exercises are essential to improve performance....I hardly see how to handle a good speed without very strong core muscles. I went from 6 minutes/km on long runs to 5.20 in 1,5 week only by starting core exercises every 2 days. Now if I don't do them, I can't progress anymore. Good thing for me is that I have lot of room for improvement (5 min/km over 14 first km so far)