Question about Walking.

Options
Hey yall! I wanna start to really lose weight...because my deadline in Janurary!! I would like to lose about 10-15ish pounds by New Years Eve!! And I just wanted to know if walking helped anyone?

Replies

• Alioops831
    Alioops831 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Of course. Any exercise will help. But you also need to pair it with eating well. Track your calories here and stay under your calorie goal and you'll lose weight.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    walking totally works for me!
    I just got in from walking 7+ miles
  • ReachingNEON
    ReachingNEON Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    woahh lol @pwittek10...7 miles??! woosh xD!! and @alioop831 I dont know how to track a school salad since they dont have calories on it..it would be nice if they did though.:)
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Of course. Any exercise will help. But you also need to pair it with eating well. Track your calories here and stay under your calorie goal and you'll lose weight.

Yeah, I'd say eating at a significant (while still healthy) deficit accounts for about 90% of weight loss, at least for me. If you do add walking, make sure it's fast enough to get your heart rate elevated, and it's for at least 20-30 min each time. Something about needing to burn out the glucose in your blood before your body starts attacking the stores of fat, which takes about thirty minutes of cardio. (I'm pretty sure that's how it works, somebody stop me if this is wrong :p)

Good luck on your goal! It's a lofty one, but if you're dedicated and want it bad enough, I KNOW you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • sammyjj53
    sammyjj53 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Track everything on your salad individually ;)
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Walking has been my main exercise since starting this back in January. I thank my two dogs for helping with my daily calorie burn
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Incorporate some cardio 6 days a week and you woould lose alotfast
  • Sharlaew
    Sharlaew Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes, walking works. I've walked on a treadmill since June and I've lost 33 lbs! Walking and logging works for me. I hope it works for you.
  • happynmellow
    Options
    I have lost 24 lbs in the last 8 weeks by tracking my calories and walking between 3-6 miles a day. It is nice and relaxing to get out of the house and walk. I also take my dog, I walk at a pace of about 3.5 miles an hour, I use the app runtastic on my smartphone to track miles and calories burned, and it syncs with MFP! :)
  • piggydog
    piggydog Posts: 322
    Options
    Lift weights! Cardio is great for burning calories then but when you leave the gym it's your muscles that will continue to burn... Get some 4lb weights from WalMart and use those whole you walk, do curls and extensions.. Any weight lifting will help tremendously
  • ReachingNEON
    Options
    Wow..thanks yall for the help. ;D!
  • wgn4166
    wgn4166 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I use the Walk Away the Pounds DVD. After I used it for a few months, I started using 3 pound weights with it. I love it. i can really tell a difference in my body shape!
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I kinda agree with this. I certainly notice a downward trajectory when I exercise 3x a week, but include a 4th and 5th....and I really see movement.
    Incorporate some cardio 6 days a week and you woould lose alotfast
  • Claible
    Claible Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I read about your salad at school. I would find out if the people that prepare the salad know? Or at least they may know the amounts they put in it. Any information is helpful in tracking. Beware of the dressing if you use any.

Walking works for me too. I do other cardio as well but when I am at work I walk on my breaks, It gives me the energy boost I need to keep going through the day.

Good Luck in your Journey!
  • ReachingNEON
    Options
    Yeahh..the dressing is pretty bad..its Fat Free Ranch but its 250 calories..and thats the only dressing I will eat if I can D:
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    When I go out to eat anywhere that doesn't have cals listed, I break it down little by little. Salads should be pretty easy to dissect. Lettuce, carrots, tomato, and other veggies have very little cals. It's the cheese, croutons, and dressing that are KILLER. They seriously make a salad worse than a McDonalds cheeseburger and fries!!

As for walking, I walk several times a week and it has really helped me to lose weight when I was on here earlier this year. I am now back at it, but I walk atleast 2 miles at a time, and at a pretty fast pace. In fact, i'm always trying to throw in some jogging or sprints to keep my heart rate up. :)
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I like walking as my main exercise. I walk to Leslie Sansone's walk it off dvd's. I walk one to two miles depending on how I am feeling. The dvd's have cardio in them so you get a pretty good work out as well as a warm up and cool down. I like going for walks, too depending on the weather.