"In Place Of a Road Map"

Options
Who here has used the "In Place Of a Road Map" method to losing weight? Using TDEE - 20% calorie deficit? Successful/Not Successful?
Would like to give this a go but ofcourse I am terrified of gaining weight. Did some calculations and according to a 20% deficit of my TDEE i would need to consume 2000 cals a day! This is a scary number, especially since coming off Michelle Bridges 12 week Body Transformation which is 1200 cals a day! Although i haven't been on 1200cals a day as I plateaued, felt like a zombie and my workouts suffered. I work irregular hours as a cleaner, workout 6 days a week with two days being 1000cal burning sessions ,have a child with a disability that keeps me rather busy and my husband who is in the Australian Air Force is deployed, so sufficed to say I'm run off my feet!
163cms Tall
67kgs
30yrs old.
Diary is open if you have any suggestions, comments that would aid me in the right direction.

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Fancy that. Average woman would need the government average recommended calories to get to an average weight :)

There will probably be an initial increase in weight; this will be glycogen and water. All the time you're freaking out about the scale, remember it takes an excess 3500 cals to gain 1 pound of fat. When you're on a low calorie diet for a while, glycogen stores are depleted (which is incidentally why people usually see a sharp weight drop when they first start a low calorie diet). They fill back up when you eat more.

I don't strictly follow IPOARM, but revised my methodology based on it and have since seen consistent body composition changes - losing fat, building a little muscle (really not that much, though I am a 23 year old male - basically an anabolic steroid on legs) and increasing strength.

Edit: as Pu mentions above, if you find the numbers aren't working for you, your TDEE is probably off - simple fix; knock 200 cals off and try another month. Pu is talking about calorie cycling as an alternative which can work extremely well too, and I would also suggest reading about the Lean Gains Intermittent Fasting plan.
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    Fancy that. Average woman would need the government average recommended calories to get to an average weight :)

Not following you with that statement but thanks for the advice! :)
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    I created something like dan's "in place of a road map" a while ago, before his plan came out. Mine went in to more detail.

It does work, nothing wrong with it(both plans), the issue is what is your true TDEE? If your TDEE is 20% off. You won't lose weight.

I created a new method, which has worked great. You eat at maintenance one day, and then you have a low calorie day. If I was you, i'd do 1,200 one day 2,000 the next. Not everyone can do the low calorie day, but if you can. I'd recommend doing this. If you can't, then the standard 20% cut is fine.

Thank you I have also taken this into consideration :)
  • Donnarose82
    Options
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Works for me. I'm eating at maintenance for now and doing well, too.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I created something like dan's "in place of a road map" a while ago, before his plan came out. Mine went in to more detail.

I created a new method,

you are just so amazing
  • elizak87
    elizak87 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I am your height and weight and eat between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I had a steady weight loss.
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    TDEE according to http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    is 2756
    2204 with the 20% calorie deficit. It's a little confusing, different calculators are telling me different things!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    is 2756
    2204 with the 20% calorie deficit. It's a little confusing, different calculators are telling me different things!

Do you know your LBM? that's probably the best scenario - the 'most accurate' calorie calculator on scoobie's site.

General calculations are really hard to get right for EVERY person, because everyone is a little different in terms of their metabolism - even if all things are equal.

ETA - if I would get off my butt more often and get more active, my TDEE would be higher (Note to self, WORK ON THAT!) :)

That said, if you use your lean body mass (via a fat percentage tester on a scale or hand held device for example), at least it more closely estimates your BMR that way. (I have a lot of FAT LOL! a higher fat ratio than I should *sigh*) so the typical BMR calculators are generally off, and I have to go a little lower.

I know plenty of people post (female) that they can lose on 2000 a day, and I believe it. I tend to average around 1800 or so when I'm doing well, but, I also can afford a higher deficit as I have a lot more to lose.

Good luck!!
  • Donnarose82
    Options

I created a new method,

you are just so amazing

thanks, here you go
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/557201-how-to-lose-weight-correctly

Thanks that cleared up alot of confusion :flowerforyou:
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    is 2756

Do you know your LBM? that's probably the best scenario - the 'most accurate' calorie calculator on scoobie's site.

General calculations are really hard to get right for EVERY person, because everyone is a little different in terms of their metabolism - even if all things are equal.

ETA - if I would get off my butt more often and get more active, my TDEE would be higher (Note to self, WORK ON THAT!) :)

That said, if you use your lean body mass (via a fat percentage tester on a scale or hand held device for example), at least it more closely estimates your BMR that way. (I have a lot of FAT LOL! a higher fat ratio than I should *sigh*) so the typical BMR calculators are generally off, and I have to go a little lower.

I know plenty of people post (female) that they can lose on 2000 a day, and I believe it. I tend to average around 1800 or so when I'm doing well, but, I also can afford a higher deficit as I have a lot more to lose.

Good luck!!

I would like to try this out but would need to acquire calipers first. That's next on the TO DO list. Thanks :)
  • Donnarose82
    Options
    I am your height and weight and eat between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I had a steady weight loss.

Yes but everyones activity levels are different, i'd rather do this right as even though I have been eating 1400-1800 a day I stil find I am struggling. Thanks for the advice though :)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I used scooby and took the average of all the body fat tests I could, including my scales. I tend to overestimate rather than underestimate. Everything needs a little tweaking 'cause we're all individual.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Who here has used the "In Place Of a Road Map" method to losing weight? Using TDEE - 20% calorie deficit? Successful/Not Successful?
    Would like to give this a go but ofcourse I am terrified of gaining weight. Did some calculations and according to a 20% deficit of my TDEE i would need to consume 2000 cals a day! This is a scary number, especially since coming off Michelle Bridges 12 week Body Transformation which is 1200 cals a day! Although i haven't been on 1200cals a day as I plateaued, felt like a zombie and my workouts suffered. I work irregular hours as a cleaner, workout 6 days a week with two days being 1000cal burning sessions ,have a child with a disability that keeps me rather busy and my husband who is in the Australian Air Force is deployed, so sufficed to say I'm run off my feet!
    163cms Tall
    67kgs
    30yrs old.
    Diary is open if you have any suggestions, comments that would aid me in the right direction.

I was about to suggest 2k a day when looking at your numbers.
    It works.
    Just know that its a fat loss program so youll lose inches before pounds.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I am. 36yo, 5'4", 131.6 pounds, 20.7% body fat.

I'm currently at 1,800 calories, but seriously considering moving up to 2,000 now that I'm doing P90X.
  • cbendorf13
    cbendorf13 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This worked for me. I have lost nearly 50 lbs since June. Altered my 1200 calorie diet suggested by MFP to fit in with recommendations by Dan's thread. I consistently lost weight for 4 months. The last 2 months or so I decided to step away from MFP logging and see if this was something I could maintain. I have been fluctuating right around 172 lbs. I am planning additional weight loss based on numbers generated from sites suggested by Dan and will start logging again to lose. Dan's suggestions have a lot of good science backing them up. It was easy to maintain the weight loss even when not logging daily.
  • fugaj01
    fugaj01 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yes, IPOARM does work. I am down sixty pound. most of that using Dan's method of identifying my calorie intake. i eat about 30% protein, 30% carbs and 40% fat though. It is easy, I am not hungry or grumpy and never found weight loss this simple before.
  • tridiv
    tridiv Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Works like a charm, I have been doing it for the past 4 weeks I guess, MFP auto calculated by intake at 1950 calories, instead I used Dan's "In Place of a Road Map" which recalibrated my intake to 2500 calories a day and voila I was still losing weight almost at a 1 kg a week and feeling a lot more energetic that what I used to with a 1950 calorie day.

I had the same fear as you, the last thing I wanted was to gain weight especially with all the effort that went in, but I thought may as well take a chance the worst that could happen is I would gain a kg or two but was definitely worth the risk considering how much better I feel.

Remember to work out for sure though.
  • 2abnorth
    2abnorth Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump