Is having one 'bad day' a week a good thing?

Options
IDK I always hear people saying,"Treat yourself with one 'bad day' a week. This way, you're not as tempted." But after every Saturday I eat out I feel kinda sluggish, but at the same time I'm like,"Yay! I didn't have to eat salads and oatmeal today." Why do you guys think? Should you have one per week?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Some opt for a bad "meal" as opposed to a bad "day". I usually indulge on Saturdays when I go to my ILs house. They always have delicious wine, food with too much butter and olive oil, but it is SO tasty. I have also found I usually lose weight on days after I #1-rest from lifting and 2-go over caloric intake a bit. No idea WHY, but there you have it. I try to work cravings into my calories/macros even in the middle of the week. I had Chicken McNuggets this week, Del Taco last week. Seeing as I was eating this stuff multiple times a week and NOT counting the calories, it is a huge step for me. Not perfect by any means, but it works for ME. Do what works for YOU so this can be a long-term commitment. If that means a cheat day or meal each week, so be it.
  • almarsala
    almarsala Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    IDK I always hear people saying,"Treat yourself with one 'bad day' a week. This way, you're not as tempted." But after every Saturday I eat out I feel kinda sluggish, but at the same time I'm like,"Yay! I didn't have to eat salads and oatmeal today." Why do you guys think? Should you have one per week?
    There is no such thing as a "bad" day. Food is neither good or bad. Food is food. You're correct, you don't have to eat salads and oatmeal. You should be able to eat anything you want everyday. Within moderation of course.
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I eat a little heavier on my big lift days, but I try to never eat over my tdee.
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    If I do decide to treat myself I still try and keep it within my calorie goal or just slightly over, and it's usually only one meal not a whole day.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If it helps your adherence, do it. If it causes you problems getting back on track, don't.
  • asticoral
    Options
    I think its normal to indulge every so often, feeling sluggish as you stated, might be an indicator something you ate was "too heavy" and cutting back on the amount ( 1/2c. vs. 1c.) might be the ticket.

I can now eat mac n cheese without consuming the entire box, a goal for me..... peanut butter and cheese is still a cross to bear at times, LOL

If I have a day where I've gone well over I make the next day lighter and or work out more to even the score for the week.
  • JustANumber85
    JustANumber85 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    I hope you arent eating salads and oatmeal every day. I think anyone would get tired of it.
  • tashaa1992
    tashaa1992 Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    You can eat what you like in moderation, or make a healthier version of your favourite food? I never eat anything I don't like and I don't have cheat days because I eat what I like every single day. Eat how you plan to eat for the rest of your life.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as a "bad" day. Food is neither good or bad. Food is food. You're correct, you don't have to eat salads and oatmeal. You should be able to eat anything you want everyday. Within moderation of course.

What he said... you shouldn't have to eat food you don't really want to eat to lose weight..that's where people slip up. I usually have a treat a day, sometimes chips, sometimes cake..and I never guilty about it.. I also don't have bad days because I eat all my normal food..just smaller portions..
  • johannajebediah
    johannajebediah Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i've tried having one "bad day" but i find i often overindulge and it's actually harder for me to get back on track, because the next day i crave the sweets and junk foods.
    instead what i do is try to use an 80/20 or 90/10 rule on most days where i eat 80 or 90 percent healthy good foods, and i allow myself small indulgences each day. as long as your indulgences aren't high fat and aren't too high sugar, you shouldn't feel negative effects.
    a great website for low-cal healthy desserts is chocolatecoveredkatie - DELICIOUS and never puts me over calories

also, try making your own "junk foods" instead of buying chocolate bars or chips. you can easily make your own potato chips baked in the oven, or french fries or sweet potato fries and it's much healthier because nothing is fried in tons of oil.
  • bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I make sure to include 'treats' once in a while, within my daily calories.
    I found that when I would allow myself a 'cheat' day, then it would take me 2 or 3 days to get back on track.
    I would rather just eat in moderation, and add treats and count them in my cals.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My dad always gave himself Sunday's off. I don't think I can do that because I'm too afraid it'll give me license to just keep going. I'd rather have a little indulgence here and there.

Anyway - what I'm really trying to say is you have to find a way to make it work for you. I know with thanksgiving coming up, that's going to be my "indulgence" for the week.
  • Heather_Rider
    Heather_Rider Posts: 1,159 Member
    Options
    I eat what i want every day, but use portion control so i can.... but that being said, I "cheat" on Saturday. I drink beer and while i log my calories, i dont count them at all.

=)
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I don't get the point of it -- but I also don't live on salad and oatmeal. I try to eat in moderation *every day* -- not having salad/oatmeal days, and not having cheat days. I look at days in the context of a whole week -- I don't worry as much about counts for one day or another being over, as long as the week average is at or under target (or less than 10 calories *over* target). I'm seeing the results on the scale I'd like, so it works for me.

I think you need to look at what will be sustainable once you hit maintenance. Will you always want all salad/oatmeal days, with only one day a week where you can eat foods that you like? Or will you be able to eat in moderation every day?
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    I notice if I eat all my junk delicious food at once (binge) I feel dreadful and may gain some lbs. I also notice if I eat a lot of food (last night I had pizza, a huge bowl of ice cream with reddy whip< 0g fat, low sugar, 4g protein in the ice cream, spaghetti (baked with cheese) and a sandwich with mayo on french bread too Lol) Yet I split it up. I won't gain any weight. I doubt many people can do that unless they're active, or it could be giving it time to settle and start to digest that works. Not sure. I don't lose muscle when I do this once a week (TMI FYI: stupid weeks before TOM make me ravenous). I sometimes even lose a lb when I let myself eat anything I want for a night. That was all within a few hrs time. lol My husband gains when he doesn't eat enough, so I think I'd rather eat what I want for one day, exercise, eat right when I eat at home, and see how it works out.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me it could be a disaster. I have had a terrible day today and let emotional eating get the better of me. I knew I was doing it but couldn't help myself. This is the first time in ages and although I am annoyed I will forgive myself and do better tomorrow. However I could not do this all the time because I can already feel those old voices in my head telling me I have been bad and I should give up. I will not listen and will continue as I had done (even though I haven't been perfect last few days either) but I am determined to lose those 6 pounds so I will not let this affect me.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Oatmeal? It's tasty....

sheesh. :laugh: I eat it because I like it.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do it! But then I feel horrible the next day too. But I think it helps us stay on track the rest of the week. :wink:
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options

^ this.

the daily over/under on your calorie goal is almost meaningless. focus on the weekly and the monthly averages. if you eat 500 extra calories on Monday, just make up for it with extra exercise and/or trimming 500 calories over the next few days.

treat yourself to what you want every so often, so that you keep cravings and binges at bay. a scoop of ice cream here or there or a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup from time to time is not going to hurt yor progress. depriving yourself of things you want will lead to binges later that can hurt your progress.