Please help me structure my workouts

Options
kateyb
kateyb Posts: 138 Member
My main drive is weightloss, although toning is necessary too obviously.

I am aiming to go to the gym 4 nights a week for approx 45 minutes a time. (This is because of my schedule, the gym closes at 10pm and I can't physically get there till 9.15).

Now I've never really been one to work out - my comfort zone is on the treadmill, and I'm happy enough to just put in a steep incline (normally 13.5) and go at a speed of around (5/5.5) for 45 minutes. According to the machine, at my height and weight I burn about 550 calories an hour doing this, but I am aware that I need to vary things.

I do have access to the swimming pool as well, and love swimming so I am wondering if I'd be better off doing a combination of the treadmill 1 or 2 nights, swimming 1 or 2 nights or weight machines 1 or 2 nights, and if so what combination is likely to show maximum results.

They also have a vibro-gym/powerplates, which I have never used but have an induction booked in for. Apparently that offers the equivalent of a complete workout in only 15 minutes and is really good for weightloss, but that's just according to the marketing literature and receptionist at the gym, lol.

Any ideas???

The staff at my gym arn't exactly what I'd call helpful so I'd really appreciate some input from my fellow MFP'ers x

Replies

• snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hey,

My comfort zone is the treadmill on an incline like you do, but I do try and mix it up and go on the cross-trainer, bikes and stair walker (a killer!!) too. I'm also experimenting with interval training on each cardio machine. I found a good 'beginners' guide to interval training (that can be used on any cardio machine). I find it stops me from getting bored, and I feel like I've done more in 20 minutes of interval traning than 40 minutes on an incline on the treadmill

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/g/intervaltrainin.htm

Are you thinking of weight training too? I try to do this each time I go to the gym but focus on different muscle groups each time so my body gets chance to recover

Hope this helps! :smile:
  • marjaskow
    marjaskow Posts: 81
    Options
    The treadmil is great for cardio & weight loss, but by itself doesn't tone everything. But if you are limited for time you can still spend the time on the treadmil and tone. When I'm on it I'll have a set of 5 pound weights or more with me. You can do all kinds of arm stuff with them while walking on a steep incline, such as bicep curls or shoulder raise etc. Also slow down the speed and walk backwards or for a few minutes or each way sideways crossing one leg behind the other as you walk. Just a bunch of ways to trigger different muscles while walking. Even just turning your feet while you walk with your toes pointed outward will work your thighs.
    Weight machines are also great for working different muscle groups. Also any core typ exercises you can do on your own are great such as the dreaded crunches and sit ups.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Now I've never really been one to work out - my comfort zone is on the treadmill, and I'm happy enough to just put in a steep incline (normally 13.5) and go at a speed of around (5/5.5) for 45 minutes. According to the machine, at my height and weight I burn about 550 calories an hour doing this, but I am aware that I need to vary things.

I'm not sure if you do this but make sure when on an incline not to hold on to the machine, many people do this and it actually reduces the load, so the calories on the machine would be overstated by as much as 50%. It is better to go at a lower incline without holding on.

On the day's you do weights also throw in some cardio, maybe just 20 min of cardio and 25 min weights. With the options you put forth I would go with 3 days treadmill or alternate with other machine i.e. elliptical, and swimming once. 2 of the non-swimming days I would incorporate weight training and reduce the duration of the cardio session.
    as an example:
    Day 1,25 minutes weights, and 20 minutes cardio
    Day 2, Swimming
    Day 3, 45 Minutes cardio (treadmill or elliptical or 20-25 min on each)
    Day 4, 25 min weights, and 20 min cardio.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    Look at these sites
    http://health.msn.com/fitness/fit-zone
    http://www.exrx.net/Beginning.html

Do lower body one day, upper body the next and then rest. Throw cardio in there too and try something other than the treadmill. The elliptical or stairclimber are great work outs
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    My comfort zone is the stationary bicycle (I used to cycle 10 miles a day, so this form of exercise is easy for me). But that doesn't cut it for "exercise". So I now rotate the elliptical, the stair stepper, the cross trainer and rowing machine with the cycle.

For 6 months, I did both free weights and cardio on the same nights - 3 nights a week. But since I am on a plateau, I've been going to the gym 6 nights a week, alternating strength training with cardio nights. Still plateau'd, so can't answer to the weight loss factor, but the muscles seem to be getting a much better workout.
  • leelu
    leelu Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I know not everyone can afford it but i really recommend getting a trainer - they can program something that will push you a little and teach you to use more than just the treadmill