Afternoon Hunger

Options
My weak point is the afternoon, Between the house of 3 and right before dinner I am likely to over eat. Sometimes I grab two small snacks ( Like a banana and then nuts or yogurt, ect..) that has a combination of fiber and protein but that doesnt hold me over. Then when I go to cook dinner or am waiting to go out to dinner my mind caves and I end up eating a TON of food.

I have no idea how to help this. I am eating 400-500 calories for breakfast and lunch and if I can control this, I am getting over my diet crux.

I was thinking of having veggies or fruit on hand and just eating that to my hearts content so at least I am not grabbing higher calorie stuff when I do it.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    I also had a terrible hunger pains. After reading about low carb diets, specifically what Atkin had to say, I cut my processed carbs even more, but mostly, I increased the fat. I switched from 9% cheese to 28% cheese, and cream instead of milk for coffee, and that made a big difference. I also realized that since a banana is so high in sugar, it is best if I only eat a TBS at a time, like for a bite of dessert. My goal is to keep my blood sugar balanced, because the drops in sugar (after eating something that spikes the sugar) create the hunger pains, I believe. Two weeks doing this, and the only day I had that hungry feeling was when I had (high fiber) bread, and the one day that I just didn't eat enough fat.
  • Corryn78
    Corryn78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I also have this trouble. I bring breakfast/snack/lunch/snack with me to work, which includes two hard boiled eggs for breakfast, two pieces of fruit and whatever leftover dinner we had. I'm always hungry with a growling stomach on my way home.
  • Saxgal137
    Saxgal137 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe i do need to focus on fat more in the afternoon. I need 2 tbsp of nut butter or 2 eggs in the am to keep me full till lunch. Thanks!
  • tristahenry
    Options
    If you open up your food diary, others might be able to make suggestions on how to tweak your meal plan.

I get this often as well, especially when I don't have enough fiber in my diet - fiber keeps us full. I add the benefiber powder to my water and that seems to help. I will also always have a V8 on hand because for whatever reason, it fills me up. I also make sure I have a mid-morning snack and mid-afternoon snack (or two) all about 100 calories. For my body, it's important that I eat every 2-3 hours. If all else fails, I force myself to have a cup of green tea and then allow myself to eat whatever I want. Usually after the tea, I don't need to eat as much.
  • Saxgal137
    Options
    Fiber alone doesnt do much for me, it goes right through my system and I am hungry again an hour later.

I think I made my diary public, I have been tracking on and off because I have been experimenting with a few things but feel free to take a look. Let me know if you guys have any questions =)
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Water has been my best ally when it comes to killing cravings like that. A lot of the times I have found that I am actually just thirsty rather than hungry. I would suggest to have a glass of water. Hopefully it helps you like it does me. Granted there are times I am actually just hungry but water also helps me not eat as much as I normally would. Good luck!
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Try skipping breakfast. Make your first meal at 3pm.

http://www.leangains.com/2012/06/why-does-breakfast-make-me-hungry.html
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    How about tea? Caffeine will reduce your hunger...but it has cons too.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    This is also my worst time. I leave work at 5, so I tend to save some food for around 4:30. Melon I find to be the best, it's mostly water so fills you up quite a bit, I normally eat around 100 cals worth (and you can get a lot of melon for 100 cals).

Then, when I am making dinner, I chew sugarfree gum. It keeps your mouth busy and I the minty taste in my mouth puts me off snacking.
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    worked for me:
    1. suck it up and wait until dinner
    2. have a low calorie breakfast (i'm assuming you're not that hungry in the morning but are used to eating a breakfast because it's "healthy") the truth is, saving calories for later has helped a lot of people.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the link to this article! I've always felt like such an oddball because breakfast actually makes me far more hungry and likely to overdose on calories later in the day, even as I kept hearing, over and over, how you MUST have breakfast in order to be healthy. I really appreciated this read!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    This was me. Starving in the afternoons no matter what breakfast and lunch I have eaten. This week I have started drinking a protein shake with fruit in it around 2pm, this holds me over till about 6pm.
  • Saxgal137
    Options
    Ive tried most of these, maybe skipping breakfast will help me hold over after lunch. Tea just makes me hungrier amd so does anything not containing protien and fat
  • chani8
    Options
    It seems you are not tracking your carbs. And your "sugars" are high. My max would be 30 Sugars per day. The more carbs and the more sugars, the more likely your blood sugar will go up and down and you'll get hungry. Also, make sure to eat your 1200 calorie minimum, or whatever you think is good for you.
  • jjltrader
    Options
    Depending on your calorie total for the day divide it into 3 meals that contain about 60 to 70 percent of the total. Then use the remaining 30 to 40 percent for three snacks, morning and afternoon and evening. Load your high carb snacks for the mid morning and mid afternoon then protein in the evening. You should always reduce carbs throughout the day. Your highest carb meal should be breakfast (quality carbs). Then it should go down throughout the day. End the evening with a protein shake, Casein protein is best at night. Try mixed nuts mid afternoon, a good tied you over snack.

I disagree with the advice to skip breakfast and save those calories. I believe that eating breakfast starts your metabolism going. IMHO it isn't just about calories in/out, it is about what you eat when. Not all fruits and veggies are created equal. Berries better than a bananna, green beans better than potatos etc.

Generally all berries good and the greener the veggie the better.
  • Saxgal137
    Options
    I tend to be hungry no matter what. There are a lot of good suggestions here though. I just don't understand why if I eat 1/3 Cup of oatmeal with 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter, some fruit and coffee for breakfast ( I need the 2T of Peanutbutter or else I cant make it to lunch) , then a salad with olive oil for fat and some type of protein on top and usually some form of carb for lunch ( which tends to equal between 400-500 calories and which I usually eat between 11-11:30), by around 1 I am hungry again, and then at 3, and then at 4... ANd I am eating around 200 calories for each snack because I am so hungry. Then by dinner time I dont have enough left over and go over for the day. Snacking in the morning does me no good either, its better if I eat the 2 TBsp of peanut butter in the morning and wait till lunch because I will over snack in the morning.

If I try the mind over matter technique I started to loose it mentally and can't concentrate and then when I see a piece of food I cave and eat WAY more than I should.
  • tristahenry
    Options
    It seems you are not tracking your carbs. And your "sugars" are high. My max would be 30 Sugars per day. The more carbs and the more sugars, the more likely your blood sugar will go up and down and you'll get hungry. Also, make sure to eat your 1200 calorie minimum, or whatever you think is good for you.

I've heard that if you eat your sugars (high glycemic index foods) early in the day you'll be hungrier throughout the day. I have no proof other than my own body so it might not work for you but it's worth a shot.

I also disagree with the advice to skip breakfast. Eating consistently throughout the day maintains your blood sugar levels (like previous posters have said) which means you are less likely to binge and/or make bad decisions because you're starving.
  • chani8
    Options
    I've heard that if you eat your sugars (high glycemic index foods) early in the day you'll be hungrier throughout the day. I have no proof other than my own body so it might not work for you but it's worth a shot.

I totally notice this, too.

Dr Bernstein, the guy who created a strict diabetic diet, insists that diabetics keep their carbs very low in the morning, only 6 carbs.