First 5K

Options
I ran my first race today... ever. Yea for me!

Replies

• corys8646
    corys8646 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! The first of many.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Excellent! Running is addictive......
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Awesome - how did you like it? :smile:
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! What an accomplishment!
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    yeah, how do you feel? how was your time? will you do anther? share the details.
  • chicco57
    chicco57 Posts: 298
    Options
    congrats! well done!
  • Morgenlstar
    Morgenlstar Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Yay!! That's awesome!
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    The hardest part? Actually signing up. :) I didn't have anyone to go with, and I've never watched a race, so I didn't know what to expect. I've been thinking about doing a race for about 3 months - just been working up my courage. And then I found about about this race - and it really spoke to me. It was called "Freeze Your Cookies Off." It made me laugh, and I decided that's what I wanted for my first race.

I feel great, and can't figure out why I was so worried about running a 5K. I wasn't the fastest person, and I wasn't the slowest. My time was around 39 minutes (I didn't write down the exact time, put they'll be posting them). Now I have something to work toward.

If you're in a similar boat, my advice is to just go for it! And if you're in northern Utah, give me a shout and I'll run with you!

Next is to decide how often I want to run them, and figure out how to find out about them. And of course, improve my time. :happy:
  • ThePinkPretzel
    Options
    yay! congrats!! excellent time! i am running my first one on thanksgiving and doubt i will be that quick!! nice job! xx
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! And WOOT on it being a positive first experience!! I hope I feel the same when I do mine in December (doing a new year's eve run)
  • rubypoh
    rubypoh Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Next is to decide how often I want to run them, and figure out how to find out about them. And of course, improve my time. :happy:

There is a website called Active.com and there you can find races of all types in your area and around the country. I think you can even set it up to get email notifications of races in your area.

Keep up the good work. A 5k is something to be proud of. And I like your time. My first ever, and only at this point, 5K my time was 50 minutes. I had to walk a lot. I'm not much of a runner, yet!
  • mjterp
    mjterp Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS and WAY TO GO!!!
  • jwuornii
    jwuornii Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Congratulations, that's fantastic! I run my first real 5k race on Thanksgiving. Great to see a similar story!
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Great job!!! \o/ WHOO-HOO! Yes, signing up is the biggest hurdle!! haha! I'm running my 3rd 5K in December, the "Reindeer Romp" hehe ....I bought antlers to wear and maybe I'll find some red socks with jingle bells....yeah I'm a crazy woman! who cares? not mee........:bigsmile:
  • SharmaineP
    SharmaineP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hey me too!! :) I ran my first 5k today also! what a coincidence :P It feels good after running huh
  • dareacceptor
    dareacceptor Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I'm running my 3rd 5K in December, the "Reindeer Romp" hehe ....I bought antlers to wear and maybe I'll find some red socks with jingle bells....yeah I'm a crazy woman! who cares? not mee........:bigsmile:

Awesome! I'll have to see if we have something locally for the holiday season. I'm not sure I'm up to the dressing up part yet - but you should post a pic after your race!
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've got my 4th 5k race coming up next month - the Jingle Bell Run, and it's on our city's Christmas Tree Lane! I can't wait - santa hats, carolers, cookies, and of course, jingle bells.

I hope you can find a fun holiday run in your area! Careful, you'll be wanting to sign up for one every month, and then you'll start wanting to run a 10k, then a half marathon.... :bigsmile:
  • waylandcool
    waylandcool Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the race. I just ran my first race today too. The first one is the hardest one, it just get easier from here.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the inspiration!

I do a 5K on the treadmill once a week at the gym. The other days are cardio / strength. My latest time...48:37. Sucks I know, but before May of this year I had NEVER set foot in a gym in my life!

:-)

Congrats!!!!!!
  • KenishaFitness
    KenishaFitness Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!!!