Counting Caloriess

Options
when you are on your splurge day, how many calories do you ever go over? Maybe an estimate?& do you track those days? Thanks!

Replies

• mfp116
    mfp116 Posts: 108
    Options
    nah i dont bother tracking calories those are my days off!
  • gwicks54
    gwicks54 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I try not to go over unless I have had low days before. I just plan ahead if I know we will be doing something special or will not be home for a meal.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I usually have left over calories from the week so it all kinda evens out I try to be honest but sometimes its hard especially if you are eating something you didnt make so you have to guesstimate.
  • ryry06revolution
    Options
    On the splurge day, perhaps Saturdays, you can eat as much as you want. A phenomenon known as luxusconsumption takes place where extra calories are 'wasted' in excess. Some will turn to fat but for the most part the body can not actually manufacture much fat at once.

Eat whatever you wish.
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I don't have splurge days, just try to make sure that I treat myself within my calorie goal and preferably within my macros most days. I am contemplating not logging on Thanksgiving, tho, since I won't know what went into the dishes my relatives bring. Think I'm going to estimate and make sure I eat a little less the rest of the week and burn a little more. Also plan to take a couple of longer walks on Thanksgiving since I won't hit the gym.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have never went higher than my TDEE.
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I don't have splurge days, only splurge meals. I do track it and work it into my daily calories with other meals being small and health and making sure I exercise.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    No splurge days. Splurge days lead to splurge weeks and so on. No sense trying all week to stick to a budget and get a grip on cravings then undo it all on a splurge day.
  • Manapaws
    Manapaws Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    splurge days, i would not want to that, it is hard enough to stay on track without thinking of a day off. I may never go back.
  • LEIGHMAX
    Options
    I keep all my unused calories from during the week and add them to my weekend calories so I can have treats galore without going over !! I agree one day off can lead to 7 days off :smile:
  • kelseey73x
    kelseey73x Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Yes, that is very true, i have done it 3 times before. thanks!
  • FitandFab33
    FitandFab33 Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    On the splurge day, perhaps Saturdays, you can eat as much as you want. A phenomenon known as luxusconsumption takes place where extra calories are 'wasted' in excess. Some will turn to fat but for the most part the body can not actually manufacture much fat at once.

Eat whatever you wish.

Luxus consumption refers to excessive consumption- not any physiological event that prevents excess fat and calories from being processed within the body.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I normally don't go over by a ton - maybe 300-500? Normally it's more of WHAT I eat. For instance today I had a burrito bowl from Chipotle & chips NOMNOMNOM. It only put my whole day over by about 300. :)
  • Becky388
    Becky388 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Not a cheat day, but sometimes a cheat meal and I stay within my allowed calories for the day.
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    For big days, like Thanksgiving, I log food I know I am going to eat (a slice of pie, etc) over the 3 days prior. That way I end up creating a little more deficit before the binge. I will also occasionally do this with alcohol on thursday/friday if I know I am going to be drinking on Saturday. Just try to keep your total week in balance.
  • LosingMandy
    LosingMandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I don't have splurge days, only splurge meals. I do track it and work it into my daily calories with other meals being small and health and making sure I exercise.

I think this is a really good way to do it. A splurge meal is a treat, a splurge day where "anything goes" promotes and unhealthy lifestyle and food choices. And arent we all here to lose weight and make our bodies healthier? It seems like the concept of a no holds splurge day goes against this aim.

Not saying I dont have them myself, but they are not planned into my week, they are more of a fall off the wagon. haha.