Lifting at home

Options
We have a bench and some weight, also 25 lb dumb bells, but also have the free weights to make our own dumb bells. When I try to lift in the mornings, I don't know where to begin or get motivated to lift. I feel like I'm just wasting my time with the things I'm doing. I got the NRL4W but I still felt like I wasn't doing it right or I wasn't using enough weight or something. I felt like it wasn't working.

How do I get the motivation to lift at home? What are sme workouts I can do and how much should I start out at? Is what I have enough equipment to get a good lifting workout in?

Replies

• belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    I lift at home and love it!! You need to do some research. I had the same issues I didn't know where to start or what to do.

I do an upper/lower split with 2 days off.
    I started with a weight that I could only lift 6 times for 3 sets and once that became easy I moved up in weight
  • follmer20
    follmer20 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll have to look on YouTube for some exercises I guess.
  • ksumme
    ksumme Posts: 283
    Options
    What you have is definitely good enough to start. I have a trainer who pushes me harder than I seem.to be able to push myself. Each session I have a set of 3 to 5 exercises and use enough weight to do 12 to 15 reps. I do 'full body' work by incorporating a lot of lunges and squats.
    If you really have no idea on starting, I would suggest hiring a trainer you trust, just for a session or two. They can evaluate your strength and suggest starting weight for each muscle group/ exercise.

Good luck!
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    check out this link http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/how-to-videos/ I just stumbled on this site last nite and am giving very much thought to trying out their Angry Birds program. Interesting site, have fun!
  • Heather1899
    Heather1899 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Chalean Extreme. I had 5, 8, 10 pound dumbbells but then got some adjustables, 15, 20, 25.
    I think it is right for me right now. Heavier on lower body but use 8-15 on upper body. Also have a Total Gym so I play around with that.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You should have multiple free weights, not just a set of 25 lb ones. If you're just starting out, a set of 3 lb, 5 lb, 8 lb, and 10 lb free weights would be preferable.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I also have done ChaLEAN Extreme, and I would highly recommend it if you're not sure where to begin. The whole program is spelled out for you. What you have should be enough to get started with it. I used resistance bands, but if you have an adjustable set of dumbbells that should work.

If you're not sure about spending the money for the program, you can borrow it from the library and give it a whirl.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and started lifting heavy 5 weeks ago. I did a couple of months of strength training and used body wieght and hand weights. 5 weeks ago I started Stronglifts 5X5. You can google it. It's a program for beginning lifters. It's awesome. Good luck choosing a program you like.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    We have a bench and some weight, also 25 lb dumb bells, but also have the free weights to make our own dumb bells. When I try to lift in the mornings, I don't know where to begin or get motivated to lift. I feel like I'm just wasting my time with the things I'm doing. I got the NRL4W but I still felt like I wasn't doing it right or I wasn't using enough weight or something. I felt like it wasn't working.

How do I get the motivation to lift at home? What are sme workouts I can do and how much should I start out at? Is what I have enough equipment to get a good lifting workout in?
    [/quote

Your equipment is fine , Read through these links down Below
    The first one will give you a whole work out for the week

http://scoobysworkshop.com/womens-beginning-dumbbell-workout/

http://www.simple-workout-routines.com/

Good luck :smile: