Can "0" calorie fake sugars hinder weight loss?

Options
So I know that the artificial sweeteners are not good for you, but I'm wondering if they can thwart weight loss attempts?

I personally gave up the stuff for the most part, but someone I know who is diabetic uses it in everything, an I'm just curious if this may be hurting her weight loss efforts.

Anyone know?

Lauren

Replies

• kimharper13
    Options
    I’ve heard so many pros and cons and there is so much debate about artificial sweeteners. Here is my take on them.
    Many people will tell you that artificial sweeteners may affect insulin causing a spike in insulin production; however, that depends on the sweetener. The studies I have found show that aspartame, was shown early on to have a positive effect on insulin secretion. Sucralose (Splenda ) moves undigested through your digestive system without affecting insulin or blood sugar because your body does not recognize sucralose as a sugar because of the three chlorine atoms. Stevia does not cause a spike in insulin and may also improve glucose tolerance. Artificial sweeteners are not all created equally. An article published in the journal "Hormone and Metabolic Research" in 1987 reported that the artificial sweetener acesulfame-K (marketed under the trade names Sunett and Sweet One) increases the release of insulin. Artificial sweeteners might cause side effects such as diarrhea and stomach upset. You should not use artificial sweeteners, such as some stevia extracts, sold in alcohol if you are a diabetic.
    What does the scientific literature have to say about artificial sweeteners causing weight gain? In a study involving 78,694 women over a 1 year period, artificial sweetener users were significantly more likely to gain weight than nonusers. However, the weight gain averaged just a modest 2 pounds. Most of the advertising for artificial sweeteners is targeted towards people that want to lose weight. But do they actually help you lose weight? The addition of artificial sweeteners to diets pose no benefit for weight loss or reduced weight gain without energy restriction. In other words, without calorie restriction, artificial sweeteners have no weight loss benefit. With calorie restriction, there is no difference between sugar and artificial sweetener use.
    Artificial sweeteners provide no nutrition. They are empty “calories”. They are a processed man-made product. We can debate whether particular “natural” sweeteners like Stevia are OK to use, but the fact still remains that it’s processed food. If you must have a sweetener, try some honey instead. Honey at least has nutritional value and is a whole food. With all the negative side effects that show themselves decades after a sweetener is approved for use, I’d be weary of experimenting with any artificial sweetener. Studies show that artificial sweeteners both cause weight gain and can help aid in weight loss, but that the real determining factor is calorie intake. All things being equal then, you should be focused on the health benefits, if any, of artificial sweeteners.
    The real question you should be asking is if the product the artificial sweetener is included in provides you any kind of health benefit. Most of the products containing artificial sweeteners are processed foods and drinks. They may or may not have any calories in them, but calories are not the determining factor of your health. The choice is yours if you choose to use them, but I will continue to eat whole foods that are nutritionally dense – providing essential nutrients to keep my body healthy.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    So I know that the artificial sweeteners are not good for you, but I'm wondering if they can thwart weight loss attempts?

I personally gave up the stuff for the most part, but someone I know who is diabetic uses it in everything, an I'm just curious if this may be hurting her weight loss efforts.

Hasn't hurt my attempt.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Haven't hindered it for me. I have 2-5 packets of splenda a day, and 1-2 died soft drinks most days.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

Whether they are "not good" depends on dose and context. Given no intolerance (or PKU) and given that you keep your dose reasonable, there isn't any evidence that I am aware of, that they are harmful in humans.

As far as weight loss, it will not thwart your efforts unless it causes you to overconsume calories.

For many people, artificial sweeteners increase dietary adherence while decreasing calorie intake. This is a good thing.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Anyone know?

Lauren

Nothing thwarts weight loss as much as too many calories. Even so I try to limit the artificial sweeteners and mostly use stevia. I love the liquid vanilla and English toffee, and plain powder. Still I love sugar free pudding and I know it won't kill me to have it once in a while.

Some people might have adverse reactions to some of those products and that would be the only reason to avoid them. I like to avoid most "chemical" foods, but at the same time if a little bit of it helps keep my sanity while I'm trying to keep a calorie budget then fine, but still I try to use stevia most of the time. I had to cut out processed sugars for health reasons, but I've also seen that it does help me keep my calorie budget to not have them.
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info! :)
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    Nope hasn't affected my weightloss....
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options

what weightloss?

(lol check out his ticker everyone)
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Wow I guess it hasn't! lol good for you!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,804 Member
    Options

^^^^SHOWOFF!!!!, lol, I agree though It keeps me from wanting the real stuff.
  • Maximumresults
    Options
    no issues here
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I stay away from chemical sweeteners. I usually use domino organic sugar, high-quality honey, or stevia.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Simply... No.

Granted a little bit of real sugar is not going to hurt you, but as someone who formerly had blood sugar issues I can totally understand.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    It never stopped me from loosing. But the doctor suggested giving up the sweetners which I did and my headaches went away.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The problem might be the other ingredients that you're consuming alongside those "0 sugars". They're not a license to eat more stuff in general.

I just bought some No Sugar Added chocolates and 3 pieces have 240 calories! :sad:
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from artificial sweeteners because aspartame makes me feel bad, and that is the most used sweetener out there. But plenty of people have switched to no calorie or lower calorie sweeteners and it hasn't seemed to affect their weight loss efforts at all.

This is another one of those things, in my opinion, that is better in moderation and not all the time.
  • laughingnome
    laughingnome Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use sugar but I don't use enough to count either way I don't drink sodas just water and 2 teas a day haven't heard anything good about the artificial stuff
  • stang_girl88
    stang_girl88 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    When I worked at the hospital, I would ask the dietician tons of questions! What she said about fake sugars and weight loss is that it makes some people crave sweets more and some people it kicks the sweet craving. You just need to find out which side of the fence that you are on. For me, I do believe it makes me crave sweets more.
  • pichurria
    pichurria Posts: 11
    Options
    I was trying to make the decision whether to use agave nectar (about 30 calories) versus Splenda in my morning coffee. I was conflicted because by using Splenda I could save 30 calories, but then concluded it's not the agave in my morning coffee alone that's making me fat...for me, using real sugar is worth it because it tastes so much better.
    But then again if I had a real Coca Cola and a Diet Coke in my hand, I'd drink the diet because that would save me 150 calories.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Calories cause weight gain. If 0 calorie foods cause you to crave calories (other food) then it will hinder weight loss, otherwise no.