3 Day Military Diet

Options
Anyone ever heard of this? Or tried it? Here is the link:
http://blessedmommy.hubpages.com/hub/Lose-Up-To-10-Pounds-In-3-Days-On-The-3-Day-Diet

Essentially it outlines what to eat for three days. Nothing else. No substitutions and no additions. Remember to drink half your body weight in water (80 oz for 160 lb person) and include exercise.
You do the diet for 3 days. After taking a 4 day break and continuing with your normal diet and exercise routine, you can repeat for another 3 days.

Day 1
B -1/2 grapefruit, 1 slice toast, 2 Tbs peanut butter, coffee/tea
L - 1/2 cup tuna, 1 slice toast, coffee/tea
D - 3 oz meat, 1 cup green beans, 1/2 banana, 1 small apple, 1 cup vanilla ice cream

Day 2
B - 1 egg, 1 slice toast, 1/2 banana
L - 1 cup cottage cheese (or 1 slice cheddar cheese), 1 hard boiled egg, 5 saltine crackers
D - 2 hot dogs, 1 cup broccoli, 1/2 cup carrots, 1/2 banana, 1/2 cup vanilla ice cream

Day 3
B - 5 saltine crackers, 1 slice cheddar cheese, 1 small apple
L - 1 hard boiled egg, 1 slice toast
D - 1 cup tuna, 1/2 banana, 1 cup vanilla ice cream

I went ahead and checked and the food calories are 927 (Day 1), 897 (Day 2), and 901 (Day 3). Very low on calories which is probably why you lose the weight, but it claims to work because of the chemical combination of the foods.

Any thoughts?
(and trust me, I know that a fad diet is a fad diet - I am not asking because I think it would be the easy solution to weight loss), Just curious.

Replies

• bubbleskiwi
    bubbleskiwi Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    never heard of it. would probably be impossible for me to do.
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    well, for starters, if a soldier or marine ate this, they would starve to death. .......and before I get flamed, I only have experience in Army and marines, so don't know activity levels of AF, Navy, or CG, sorry.

but really, if you are active, it doesn't seem like "enough". If you are overweight and sedentary, it might be ok.
  • Heavensblessings
    Heavensblessings Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have seen it before and thought of doing it but didn't want to do it alone. I always do better when I know someone else is too and can keep me on track. My sister wanted to but she and her husband are trying to get pregnant and she was afraid to try jus incase she was pregnant already.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Half your body weight in water? That sounds dangerous!:noway:
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My first reaction is yuck! If I was going to limit my calories to that level, my dinner on day two certainly won't be two hot dogs. LOL

That said, if someone is eating normal calories levels for four days a week and reduced for three, it's not that bad. My calories consumed naturally fluctuate. This week was nuts. I had one day around 900 and another over 3400, but at the end of the week the average was just under 1900. So it all balance out.

The water should read 1/2 ounce of water per pound of body weight. :)
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wonder where it got the name of military diet? It is reminiscent of a diet my parents tried AGES ago, my Dad posted it on the fridge.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Why? You'd be miserable and low energy. You'd be unlikely to lose any significant body fat. And, as far as I know, there is absolutely no scientific basis for the "chemical" combination this diet purports to spur fat loss.

Weight loss without fad diets just seems to be a lot easier and a lot more fun.
  • grrlgeek
    grrlgeek Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I wonder where it got the name of military diet? It is reminiscent of a diet my parents tried AGES ago, my Dad posted it on the fridge.

How funny! I was digging through my old recipe book just last night and among all the hand-written pages of "sacred recipes" from childhood, tucked in the front cover, I found this diet and nearly exactly word-for-word.

It was a typewritten page, my mom must have typed it out. The title is "Mayo Clinic Diet." I think I tried it for about 4 hours when I was a teenager... and that was some 30+ years ago. Nice to see old chain letters are still going strong thanks to the internet!
  • LesaDave
    LesaDave Posts: 1,480 Member
    Options
    Half your body weight in water? That sounds dangerous!:noway:

It's half your body weight in OUNCES. So the 160 pound person would drink 80 OZ of water. I know...cuz I asked the same thing. :-)

I have one of mfp friends doing this now. She said it's hard, but you are supposed to lose up to 10 pounds in 3 days. It's just that you can't do it longer than 3 days.

But for the hot dogs, you have to have all ONE meat--like beef only or chicken only, but you can't have a hot dog that mixed the meats. I don't know what all that means.
  • Juashmom
    Options
    I know this diet well...I saw it and tried it for the first time when I was 12 (I'm 42 now)..i ts been called the sacred heart or mayo clinic diet as well..I used to do it with my step mother prior to going on vacation when I was kid and have pulled it out every once in awhille over the years...

It is actually a fad deit which isn't recommended but...
    I have ALWAYS lost 5lbs and have pretty much kept that 5lbs off for an extended period of time..I have never been able to do it back to back or even once a month! Maybe a once a year thing (haven't done it for almost 7 years)... I always thought of it as a great way to kick off a weight loss effort...lose a few lbs quick to give you a little push andit helps scale back the appitite a bit...

I've actually been thinking of using it again, possibly pulling it out as a plateu breaker or setting myself back on track if I have a bad week down the road..I honestly don't think it would hurt as long as you don't use it all the time.
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    I have one of mfp friends doing this now. She said it's hard, but you are supposed to lose up to 10 pounds in 3 days. It's just that you can't do it longer than 3 days.

Well, it's not 10 pounds of fat, I promise you this.
  • miche_smash
    miche_smash Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Seems to me that you would just gain the weight back right after you went off the diet. Just like any other fad diet. All you would lose is water and muscle and your body would hang on to fat because its not getting enough calories.
    What's weird to me is the hot dogs... I find it weird that hot dogs would be on any sort of diet plan.
  • MarineCodie
    MarineCodie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hot dogs... heehee so healthy - you probably have to eat two because it sparks your metabolism so much! :}
  • MIMITIME
    MIMITIME Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I remember this diet from the 1980's. At that time it was called the Heart Association Diet and a doctor is the one that actually gave me this diet to follow! I did it one time and by the third day, I was so hungry I could have eaten saw dust but I did lose the 10 pounds.
  • meepsterbird
    Options
    It's a strange diet. It goes by many different names (Cardiac Diet, Mayo Clinic Diet, etc.), but the premise is always the same. I attempted to try it several years back, but really only had a couple of "vanity" pounds to lose and lacked the commitment needed to stick with it. Another problem I had was the ambiguity in the foods--2 hot dogs...does that mean turkey, reduced fat, bun length....God forbid, those red hots....? Same with ice cream--my tendency would normally be to buy the reduced calorie version of the foods listed, but I didn't know if it was something to do with chemistry, or just severe calorie deficits. By day 3, I was pondering the exchange rate for a shot of whiskey, as the nightly ice cream didn't appeal quite as much as I believe it is intended to.

I'm sure many people have had success on this plan, though--that's probably why it keeps circulating.

And, by the way, I am not military, but my husband was a Marine....I seriously doubt the military would ever endorse anything like this.
  • mikki11978
    Options
    Actually, my friend who was in the military told me about it and I had to try it. He said they also call it cardiac diet, as they put overweight cardiac patients on it to loose lbs quickly before a heart surgery. They also say that this specific food restores chemical balance in your body... It works!!! If you exercise on top of it, it/s even better. I don't remember if I lost 10 lbs exactly, but I definitely lost weight . After 3 days my husband noticed I LOST WEIGHT!!!! After this quick diet you go back to the normal eating but you better watch your calories. On this diet you eat approximately 1000 calories/day, so if you immediately go back to 2500/day you'll get it all back. Also, I don't drink soda as I don't like it, but soda has a lots of chemicals that are no good for you anyway. Just drink tea, water, coffee...Diet says 2 wieners...you need to buy classic wieners which are made with turkey, pork and chicken..its not a regular Beef hot dog. http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmayer/hot-dogs/classic-wieners.html
    At the beginning its tough, but once your appetite is suppressed you'll be fine. When you feel hungry..drink tea, water or coffee.

Good luck!
  • Blair2374
    Blair2374 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    No chance of me trying it - tuna, yuck :(
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Actually, my friend who was in the military told me about it and I had to try it. He said they also call it cardiac diet, as they put overweight cardiac patients on it to loose lbs quickly before a heart surgery. They also say that this specific food restores chemical balance in your body... It works!!! If you exercise on top of it, it/s even better. I don't remember if I lost 10 lbs exactly, but I definitely lost weight . After 3 days my husband noticed I LOST WEIGHT!!!! After this quick diet you go back to the normal eating but you better watch your calories. On this diet you eat approximately 1000 calories/day, so if you immediately go back to 2500/day you'll get it all back. Also, I don't drink soda as I don't like it, but soda has a lots of chemicals that are no good for you anyway. Just drink tea, water, coffee...Diet says 2 wieners...you need to buy classic wieners which are made with turkey, pork and chicken..its not a regular Beef hot dog. http://www.kraftbrands.com/oscarmayer/hot-dogs/classic-wieners.html
    At the beginning its tough, but once your appetite is suppressed you'll be fine. When you feel hungry..drink tea, water or coffee.

Good luck!

Key phrase ... "was in" ... and I'd bet a low ranking, short term servicemember because the multiple names given to this diet are part of the ever changing scam needed to keep new people buying in as each previous edition is debunked. PT Barnum was right and the diet peddlers count on the demographic he described.

The fact you resurrected a thread after nearly two years of inactivity .... wow.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    It's a stupid fad diet that doesn't do a dang thing besides restrict calories. Nothing special about it beside the fact that it likes to change names and is in NO way associated with any name it is given. Be smart and don't do it.
  • soldiergrl_101
    soldiergrl_101 Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Im Military and I don't eat like that lol give me the real food!!!