Need to lose a few, FAST..Not eating back exercise cals...

Options
Hey All,
I hope someone takes the time to read this.. I have lost 34 lbs w/the assistance of this site (52 lbs since my all time heaviest) and have done so soley w/diet, I did not exercise.. My life situation is changing and I would like to drop a few lbs (im being somewhat realistic w/my goals) in the next 2 wks. I started exercising yesterday, just 20 mins a day on the Elliptical but its better than nothing which is what I was doing... Now, on to my question. I know everyone says to eat your exercise calories back but w/wanting to drop a few lbs very quickly... Will not eating them back help expidite my loss? I know it sounds crazy and believe me Im not on the 'get rich quick scheme or get thin fast scheme' I realize doing it the RIGHT way, a way that will withstand the test of time is doing it the 'old fashioned' way, DIET AND EXERCISE.... (I KNOW, what a concept.. ;) The reason behind me really needing to lose these lbs quickly is because I will be changing jobs and need to fit comfortably in my dress pants, which were all purchased when was @ my 'skinniest' and they do currently fit BUT are still snug in the waste. Its IMPORTANT I LOOK GOOD but for my sanity and comfort I need to be comfortable as well...
So will not eating back my exercise calories for the next 2 wks help expidite the loss??? Once I can comfortably fit in to my pants I will resume back to my 'normal way' where I still lose but at a slower pace..
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!
Chelsea!

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat back my exercise calories. I stick to a 1500 calories a day diet no matter how much I exercise.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    In 2 weeks? Maybe a pound or so. Not much, but with 20 minutes on the elliptical, you're not burning that much either so I definitely wouldn't worry about eating them back.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I never eat back exercise calories. I don't even log my exercise. I go to the gym every day and spend 2-3 hours there on average. What's the point?
  • jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could buy a new pair of pants or two to wear temporarily until the old ones fit? Check a resale shop so you don't have to spend a ton on pants you will be out of soon.

"A few pounds" in "a couple weeks" may or may not be doable, depending on what a few pounds and a couple weeks really mean.

You're doing great so far, keep it up!
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I don't ever eat mine back, but I only burn a couple hundred a day. Maybe if you drink extra water it will release some bloating and the pants will fit better? Just a thought! Also, I would say your best bet to lose a few pounds quickly is to really amp up the workout, especially if you haven't been doing much. Ease into it by adding 5 minutes a day or something. Good luck!
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies :) When I saw a few wks I mean 17 days to be exact!!! I used to have wks where I might lose 3 lbs in a wk.. BUT I was also heavier, Im closer to a 'healthy weight' soo I know the lbs will most likely not come off as quickly as they used to. Ive been doing 20 mins on the Elliptical (burning about 250 calories a session) but I can bump it up to 25-30 and I will def start drinking MORE H20!!! I'd like to lose 3 lbs. Which is doable. Its weird, the last 3 lbs I lost made a HUGE difference in how pants fit and ones that didnt fit do now, just slightly too tight in the tush/tummy areas. Ive been doing crunches as well... Im hoping I can rid myself of 3-4 lbs. I know it will be TOUGH but I really have to!!! I dont really have $ to spend on new pants, and I've also been looking EVERYWHERE now its not the waist thats the problem but im only 5'4 and almost every pair I find is too long! Im going to stick to a 1200 calorie diet and not eat my exercise calories back and HOPE for the BEST! Once my pants fit nicely I can give myself a little more freedom!!!
    Thanks for reading/responding!!!! Wishing everyone success!! Also, I've been on MFP since April and only have a few friends so anyone who is looking to add a new friend, request me :) I'd love to have motivated/supportive women on my list!!! :)
    Thanks,
    Chelsea :)
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I don't think not eating back those few exercise calories will hurt as long as you are set to a reasonable goal in the first place. Good for you for starting to exercise! I'd focus on eating really clean for the next few weeks, lots of protein and fiber and water to fill you up or you will feel lousy and might binge later. And get a pair of Spanx for those pants! :wink:
  • an8e
    an8e Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    exercise can cause water retention, so work hard, but whatever you do: DO NOT WEIGH YOURSELF EVERYDAY for the next couple of weeks!!!

you will be making progress, but it can be heartbreaking to work out for an hour or two and see you have increased on the scales: its only water and will sort itself out in a couple of days!!
  • schondell
    schondell Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Not everyone eats back their exercise calories, you don't have to.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Just keep in mind that weight loss doesn't always equal size loss.
  • WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback ladies :) When I saw a few wks I mean 17 days to be exact!!! I used to have wks where I might lose 3 lbs in a wk.. BUT I was also heavier, Im closer to a 'healthy weight' soo I know the lbs will most likely not come off as quickly as they used to. Ive been doing 20 mins on the Elliptical (burning about 250 calories a session) but I can bump it up to 25-30 and I will def start drinking MORE H20!!! I'd like to lose 3 lbs. Which is doable. Its weird, the last 3 lbs I lost made a HUGE difference in how pants fit and ones that didnt fit do now, just slightly too tight in the tush/tummy areas. Ive been doing crunches as well... Im hoping I can rid myself of 3-4 lbs. I know it will be TOUGH but I really have to!!! I dont really have $ to spend on new pants, and I've also been looking EVERYWHERE now its not the waist thats the problem but im only 5'4 and almost every pair I find is too long! Im going to stick to a 1200 calorie diet and not eat my exercise calories back and HOPE for the BEST! Once my pants fit nicely I can give myself a little more freedom!!!
    Thanks for reading/responding!!!! Wishing everyone success!! Also, I've been on MFP since April and only have a few friends so anyone who is looking to add a new friend, request me :) I'd love to have motivated/supportive women on my list!!! :)
    Thanks,
    Chelsea :)

3 lbs = 10500 calories
    in 17 days, you need to expend that many more calories than you ingest.
    the way to do that is with lots of cardio exercise... approx. 600 calories worth per day. that means running for an hour. every day. or eating 300 below your sedentary BMR and running a half hour every day. it can be done, but keep in mind that your weight will vary from day to day due to water retention and other issues. even if you can lose this amount on paper, 17 days from now when you step on the scale, there's no guarantee that you'll weigh 3 lbs less than you do today.
  • brighteyes31143
    Options
    LOL I LOVE IT!!! I never thought of SPANX!!!!!!!!! I just went back through and looked I've lost 9 lbs in 6 wks...I have been more active but also exceeding my calories by a lot (2000-2600) on some days... Soooo.. My thinking is IF I stay SUPER ACTIVE and take the advice given; Healthy eating, LOTS of H20, Increase Exercise and just stick w/it... I might not only be able to meet my goal BUT exceed it!!!!
    Here's for trying!!! Thanks ladies :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    2 weeks is not really enough time to make meaningful, lasting changes to your body. Do yourself a favor and buy a pair of cheap black intermediate work pants that fit now. Pursue it the healthy way. Even if you really cut to lose quickly, it will be next to impossible to keep that weight off, and you will be testing the seams of the pants anyway.