looking for a fruit cake recipe...PLEASE

Options
Hi all,
I am desperately trying to find a good fruit cake recipe, all i really want is the cake portion of the recipe as i have 3 tubs (225 grams each) of deluxe mixed fruits which is pineapple, melons and cherries, I have some shredded coconut I want to use and some whole pecan nuts i want to crunch up to put in there, but for the life of me I do not know how to make the actual cake part to put all those into. Plus don't forget the good old spiced rum which i plan to soak that fruit in for a while.

Online recipes all call for a cup of this fruit, a cup of that, 20 million eggs, and I honestly can not seem to pick out just the cake portion from all the fruit ingredients to put them together, or i find a good one and its for some awkward number of 9 loaves (like gramma's homemade recipe in the family cook book) How the heck does one divide a recipe by 9 and hope to have it turn out proper? I'm just so frutrated.

Anyone have a good recipe they could share? OH and I'm not looking for one that is all slathered in icing and stuff...tee hee, for obvious reasons since we're all dieters here. I am hoping to make my fruit cakes sort of a bit healthy so at least I get *something* out of eating them :D

Replies

• besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    why?
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    lol im just kidding. but I dont have one. good luck :)
  • tellascott
    Options
    why?
    LOL, it's quite alright, it's definately a love or hate food. But those store bought one's are just vile nowadays. Could they make them any sweeter if they tried? And i do love my Christmas fruitcake so decided to try and just make my own this year without all the sweet junk the store ones have, and with my own lovely rum. If one is to eat fruitcake...they seriously should get a good drunk on from the darn thing. If I insist on eating something jam packed with calories, the least I can do is get a good fun drunken time from doing it.
  • linda213norris
    Options
    I`m looking for mother`s old Japanese fruitcake recipe and I remember as a child it was awesome! I`ll get back with you when I locate it.
  • LoraleiDean
    Options
    Christmas Cake Batter Only: Makes one 6" round pan

1/2 cup butter
    1/4 cup packed brown sugar
    1 egg
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/8 teaspoon baking soda
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    2 tablespoons milk
    1/4 cup molasses

2-3 tablespoons dark rum

1) .Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Butter a 6x3 inch round pan, and line with parchment paper.
    2) .In a large bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Beat in egg. Whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; mix into butter and sugar in three batches, alternating with molasses and milk. Stir in soaked fruit and chopped nuts. Scrape batter into prepared pan.
    3).Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes. Cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then sprinkle with 2 tablespoons rum.
    4).Cut out one piece parchment paper and one piece cheesecloth, each large enough to wrap around the cake. Moisten cheesecloth with 1 tablespoon rum. Arrange cheesecloth on top of parchment paper, and unmold cake onto it. Sprinkle top and sides of cake with remaining rum. Wrap the cheesecloth closely to the surface of the cake, then wrap with paper. Place in an airtight tin, and age for at least 10 weeks. If storing longer, douse with additional rum for every 10 weeks of storage.

Hope this works out for you........
  • AnjaZ89
    AnjaZ89 Posts: 235
    Options
    i like this one and you can prepare it with any fruit you have on hand! recipe is about 180cals per serving :D

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/peach_blueberry_cobbler.html
  • tellascott
    Options
    These are both terrific! Thanks so much, now i have something to work from and create my masterpieces from.