Any good candy substitues?

Options
So here is one of my problems... I am addicted to sweets. When I try to completely cut out my sweets in turns around to bite me because I'll end up going over board on them one day. Any good advice? Thank you!

Replies

• agamy4
    agamy4 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have such a sweet tooth too! I started eating dried fruits. Dried mangos are my favorite. If you close your eyes and concentrate really hard, it may seem like candy :)
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    So here is one of my problems... I am addicted to sweets. When I try to completely cut out my sweets in turns around to bite me because I'll end up going over board on them one day. Any good advice? Thank you!

I used to be SO addicted to sugar. I'd stop at a convenience store on my way to work and get coffee and a bag of candy almost every day.
    I don't have any, anymore, but I do chew gum for my entire drive (a few pieces - I have a long drive to work). Instead of candy in my desk, I keep a bag of dry roasted edamame or chick peas (it's not sweet, but it satisfies my need to crunch on something).

I have a cut up apple or pear almost every afternoon, and that helps a little too. I honestly don't really miss it too much since breaking the sugar habit.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem, i have tried sugar free but it doesnt work for me too well. SO instead i will allow myself to have a little only of dark chocolate or 1/2 cookie, 1/2 cupcake. You get the idea. But not restricting myself gives me more control. My hubby and I will share it so it takes away more temptaion. I will pass it up alot when i have it in the house, because i know i can have it another day. No restriction, just keep it small amount. Good luck!
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    i like to freeze fruit to have as a snack, it is a good tasty frozen treat. i like frozen bananas coated with vanilla yogurt, or frozen mango yumm. you could try to make an alternative to a reeses cup with some chocolate protein powder and some pb made into a protein shake too, that helps with chocolate cravings
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    I just eat the candy...1 or 2 pcs of snack size usually does the trick for me.. dried fruit works awesome.. we have dehydrator and do our own here...

don't deny yourself..just eat less...
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    smaller amounts of candy.

Buy it individually.
  • ctbloom
    Options
    Had the same problem when I was losin weight. I hate cellery so whenever I thought about candy, I immediately went to the taste of cellery and I lost my addiction instantaniously. But fruit is an outstanding substitute. your body wants glycogen levels at a certain level, hence the addiction to fast digesting carbs.
  • shm1289
    shm1289 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    If you like butterfingers you could try slim fasts peanut butter bars. They are delicious and taste the same! They're only 100 calories. If you're a chocolate lover, definitely try Skinny Cow. They have candy bars for 150 calories or less and you would never know it with how good they taste.
  • Shrinking_Stacey
    Options
    Wait a minute, candy is my substitute for sex. How's this gonna work? There's only so much dried fruit a girl can eat. :smirk:
  • JLLike
    JLLike Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Kind Fruit and Nut Bars -- lots of protein and some have chocolate. I have a friend that has a sweet tooth gave her some to try and she said that has helped her.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Grapes!! Frozen Grapes and Blueberries are great too! Almost like a popsicle!
  • Julicat6
    Julicat6 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Fresh or frozen fruit dipped in just a TBS of Hershey's special dark syrup..mmmm!
  • Tammygreenspan
    Tammygreenspan Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    try myoplex lite chocolate protein shakes or the powercrunch protein bars both have low sugar and more protein than carbs they will help curb the sweet cravings
  • LosingMandy
    LosingMandy Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Plain Greek Yogurt with a scoop of chocolate protein powder. Tastes a bit like cheesecake if you have a good imagination. haha. Its helping me curve my cravings.
  • CkepiJinx
    CkepiJinx Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Try freezing grapes for a sweet treat ;)
  • olives28
    Options
    - chocolate protein shakes (they have them for 110 calories and low carb)
    - calcium chews (like tootsie rolls)
    - fruity gum
    - fruits (they taste sugary and really yummy like pears)
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan of the frozen fruits, I'd rather have fresh or 'canned' (I like the del monte fruit naturals), but I love dried fruits. Kroger (Fred Meyer) sells a "tropical trail mix" made by American Importing Co that is pretty good. It has chopped dates, dried pineapple and mango, raisins, and coconut flakes. I usually mix it with some granola or oatmeal to make it go farther, as it is fairly calorie dense.

I also go for granola, my favorite bought one is a wild blueberry flax seed granola. You can get it at the bulk foods section of whole foods. I'm going to experiment with making my own granola over the coming week. If it's worthwhile, I'll post a recipe.

I used to keep a Zone bar around but they can cause undesirable odorific effects, if you know what I mean... Hope this helps, and may God bless you.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I'll have fruit-- granny smith apples and strawberries pretty much make a great substitute for me since I usually go for fruity, sour candies. I also usually have a square or two of dark chocolate a day-- it's not really all that low calorie but it is better than most other candy. When I do want candy, I make sure to buy only ONE bar. I'll usually split it with somebody and the damage isn't too bad. I find that if I only keep enough for a serving around me, I'll stretch it out and I won't over do it when I feel like I just have to have a sweet. If you search around online you can find some really easy and not terrible treats to bake up too.
  • MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Quaker has chocolate covered granola bars with peanut butter or caramel and such. 1 bar is 150 calories I believe.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    Dried mangos are super sweet. I basically have no sweet tooth, but on the rare occasion that I'm craving sweets, just one piece will suffice. They're pretty sweet for dried fruit. I think they taste like candy...and so does my husband, who is addicted to sweets, no joke. He could probably eat a whole sheet cake and still want more.