Any Grad School Students?

Options
I was wondering if there were any other grad school students around... especially ones who work full time. It'd be nice to have more people to relate to. Sometimes it's stressful to fit in a workout when you work long days, go to school and have homework waiting to be done! Maybe we can share time management tips and just support each other.

Replies

• wellnessbiddy247
    wellnessbiddy247 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I work as a full-time special education teacher and am also a grad student. :) I totally get what you mean with time management - let's support each other!
  • jennybaby89
    jennybaby89 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I totally didn't see this before I posted on your topic! Haha. Wonderful. :) Great to have someone on the same page. Life can get so overwhelming at times! I fit in my first workout in awhile today, so fingers crossed I can keep it up!
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I work full time. I also am getting my MBA. It's 10:17PM on a Saturday night and I just turned in a paper. Yay!
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    erikaaaaaaaa Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Me, me, me! I don't work full time, but I do have a GA that's pretty demanding. I'm also working on my thesis and doing another experiment/research... for fun.
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    Haha. I spent today doing a home visit for work, starting TurboFire and writing a Literature Review on treatment for heroin addiction. Still not done... instead I am browsing the site. I should probably clean my house, too.. but I am just so exhausted by the end of the day!
  • wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    YES! Thank you for posting this. I am a music teacher and a grad student. Support and time management tips? Yes, please! And it's nice to meet you all :) I just finished a research paper today too!
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    Erika, what's your Thesis on?
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    It's great to see so many people on the same page. It can be so tough! Oh research papers. And finals coming up. AND GROUP WORK? Ugh. Does anyone else find group work absurd in grad school? It's exhausting trying to work around everyone's schedules!
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    Options
    Erika, what's your Thesis on?

How personality traits influence a person's ability to lie and detect lies.

Experimental Psych, here!
  • avir8
    avir8 Posts: 671 Member
    Options
    Yup *raises hand. Grad student here dragging along, it feels like I've been in school for-evah!!!
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    How personality traits influence a person's ability to lie and detect lies.

Experimental Psych, here!

Neat! I am thinking about getting my PhD in Cognitive or Counseling Psych. I am really interested in attachment styles in foster children, but it's hard to find a professor to take me on. I guess I'll stick with my Masters and dream of opening a non-profit. Ahh. Ambitions.
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    Yup *raises hand. Grad student here dragging along, it feels like I've been in school for-evah!!!

I feel like I'll be in school forever! I should have my Master's next December and I think I want a break to focus on my marriage and getting a job. Then maybe a PhD.
  • skintimate32
    Options
    I guess it's not REALLY the same thing, but I do work and go to school full time (undergrad) and it's HARD!!! I haven't been able to get in a workout at all lately and I feel terrible about it. :(
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    I guess it's not REALLY the same thing, but I do work and go to school full time (undergrad) and it's HARD!!! I haven't been able to get in a workout at all lately and I feel terrible about it. :(

It's all the same! My sister works part time and is in her 2nd year of undergrad. She's so stressed and has no time for anything either. It's hard to find balance. People joke that college students don't have time for school, a social life and sleep... but what about work and working out!? Hahaha!
  • skintimate32
    Options
    It's so true!! When I was just going to school my first year and wasn't working, I managed to combine my workout/social life by doing zumba with my friends. It was so much fun, it felt like a girls night out party everyday and it felt good knowing that was how I spent my study breaks. Now I hardly get to do either.
  • ShaeLovelyy
    Options
    Im not in grad school yet but i will after 1 and a half more years in college haha then i will be going to PA school. Its saturday night and i turned down a frat party...to write a paper!! fun fun!
  • erikaaaaaaaa
    Options
    Neat! I am thinking about getting my PhD in Cognitive or Counseling Psych. I am really interested in attachment styles in foster children, but it's hard to find a professor to take me on. I guess I'll stick with my Masters and dream of opening a non-profit. Ahh. Ambitions.

NICE! Have you looked into Developmental PhD programs? Maybe you'll find some more interest there :/ . I just submitted my last PhD application earlier this week, so I know what it's like searching around for what you want. Now it's just the waiting (and freaking out!) game.

I think your ambitions sound great. Plus you can always request that people call you Master Jennybaby. Definitely a perk!
  • jennybaby89
    Options
    NICE! Have you looked into Developmental PhD programs? Maybe you'll find some more interest there :/ . I just submitted my last PhD application earlier this week, so I know what it's like searching around for what you want. Now it's just the waiting (and freaking out!) game.

I think your ambitions sound great. Plus you can always request that people call you Master Jennybaby. Definitely a perk!

Bahahaa. Master JennyBaby. ;)

I haven't looked much into Developmental Programs... we don't have one near by. I should look into it though! I did a lot of Developmental Psych in my undergrad. I mean, the issue with getting my PhD is I'm limited. My husband and I are pretty settled and don't want to move. I mean, if a chance came along we could definitely move (we own a duplex, so it's easy enough to rent out our side)... but I'd rather not. My family is here and his family is close enough. *sigh* Husbands. They ruin all the plans. ;)
  • karmahead
    karmahead Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Law school here! Glad to see other students :)
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I'm in my final year of my masters in rehabilitation counseling and I work (only part time though, my program doesn't really allow for a full time work schedule). this is my final semester of coursework and then next semester I just have internship and my masters paper to finish up my program! Anyone can feel free to add me, it took me a while, but I've FINALLY figured out the balance and have been doing well at getting it done!

On that note, its 10:45pm and I'm working on one of my papers and planning on being in bed by midnight. All my non grad school friends are heading out to the bars haha