Do You Have Your Cake and Eat It Too?

SeaRunner26
SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
Do you eat back the calories that you burn from exercising and why do you choose what you do?

1) None
2) Some
3) Half
4) Most
5) All or more

Replies

• SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    What a good question! You're really smart!

I usually go for #4. I eat back most of my calories, because exercising makes me very hungry, but save a few to help create a caloried surplus for the day to accelerate weight loss.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    It is a good question.

For me, it all depends on the day.

If I'm still hungry and I have workout calories left then I usually eat a treat like Reese's cups or just eat a bowl of cereal.

On the larger scale, I would say I eat them back some (2) of the time. For my weight loss, I haven't noticed any real impact between eating them back versus not eating them back.

But some people swear by eating them all back so who knows!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Hahaha...

I usually go for #4 as well. Pretty much because I've learned it's the best way to maintain my current weight. I also crave healthier, lighter food after a workout.
  • dunc289
    dunc289 Posts: 54 Member
    Not really, and sort of.

I set a daily calorie limit that roughly took account of my exercise habits. (2300, 5'11, age 47)

Actually, it's probably a little low, because there was no setting for me.
    (Crossfit 4-5 times a week, surf on off days. Occasional running/staggering)

Then I eat that 6 days a week, and have an eat as much as I like day at the weekend.

So far I've gone from 215 to 185 in around 6 months, and I don't really feel like I'm dieting.
    Still drink, eat chocolate, but less bread, less cake.

Cooking for myself is cheaper, so I never eat processed, except when I have to eat fast food because I'm out.

Through the data on MFP I have learned that if I skip breakfast, I'll top up with sh1t calories all day long, and go over.
    It's better for me to eat a crappy breakfast, than none at all.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    4!

I'm a firm believer in TDEE/ Eat More to Weigh Less and eating back most of my calories keeps me loosing steadily without being hungry. I usually stay just about 100-150 under goal as a cushion for any potential under estimating. I usually get around 1500-1700 on non workout days. If I eat too little, I get cranky and my boyfriend and cats hide from me. And then I start to suck at the gym and get even crankier. ;)

I also realized this time around that I don't want to be thin, per se. I want to be healthy, happy, fit and not guilt-ridden over food. I needed to stop being afraid of eating. Eating is good. Eating isn't optional. Therefore, I should enjoy it. So, I do. The only thing I've really made an effort to cut down on is sugar and overly-caloric drinks. They're now a "sometimes food" as Cookie Monster would say.

edit: I should note that I budget more food on workout days and use a Fitbit for a general idea of caloric burn.
  • JosephVitte
    JosephVitte Posts: 2,039
    Depends on the day, depends on how hungry I am. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, it just depends. Sorry If I'm too vague, I think you'll understand.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    #4...depends on the day though too. Sometimes I eat more of them than I should (you know that!)...sometimes I eat less of them. I mostly base the amount I eat back on what fitbit.com says because going by that goal seems to be helping me lose more so than going by my goal on mfp.
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    none.... why? just because this is the way it works for me, and im perfectly satisfied with my daily calories.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Did somebody say cake?

I eat most of mine back because it makes sense to me to do that. And also because I often need them to eat the way I want to eat without feeling deprived.

And if I don't need them for my normal meals then it's nice to have a little treat occasionally so I don't feel I'm missing out on anything.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    I think I'm the only one that doesn't really like cake... Brownies yes, but cake is too dry.

Anyways, I didn't used to eat back any exercise calories but now that I'm so close to my goal weight, I do.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    #4 for me... just depends on what I am in the mood for..but yes I have my cake and eat it too... daily..
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    All the calories! Because food is fuel, and it's yummy!

Though once in a while, I'm not hungry, so I don't eat them all, but mostly I do.