Hamburger Helper

Options
jdavis193
jdavis193 Posts: 972 Member
I just have to see how many people love hamburger helper!!!! I just had beef stroganoff!!! It's so yummy!! It may be cheap but i love it.

Replies

• Cranny
    Cranny Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    We have Beef Pasta every Monday night at my house. It's my hubby's favorite - and my favorite to cook- quick and easy.

It's been a "ritual" at our house for years - that IS the Monday night eats!! With either some hot rolls or fresh baked bread. Add to that a class of ice cold milk!! Yummm.

We have the Cheeseburger Mac once in a great while. Love to find HH @ kroger - 3 for $5 - good to stock up!
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I haven't had hamburger helper in over 10 years, and it's funny you posted this comment. I saw a commercial last night for it and thought it would be so good to have it again. I may have make some soon.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    haha! love it too! i have 2 kids so we eat that! they like the cheeseburger kind, whatever its called. but yes i eat that too! not as much as i used to .. like the WHOLE box but still eat some! i just have veggies too!
  • 100x2xLose
    Options
    I'm not a Hamburger Helper person, but I do have a serious weakness for Kraft Dinner. No matter what I do, I can't shake that habit!

Especially with hot sauce and hamburger added to it... mmm...
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I ate them as a child, but this stuff is horrible for you, full of salt, refined sugar, fat, chemicals, etc. That is one mistake I will not repeat with my child.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    We just did the whole wheat hamburger helper but used ground turkey instead. Very good and it helped to knock out a few cals and fat grams.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    its nice to know other people eat "real" food, as in not just fruits/veggie/fish etc etc, i mean lets be honest, with 2 kids i have to eat sometimes what we have and what they like. also $$ makes us get what we can afford!! HH ISNT the healthiest choice BUT eating less of it and adding veggies or something and i think its ok still!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Aw, hamburger helper has such good memories for me. I ate it all the time as a kid and when my bf and I started dating, he decided to "cook" for me one day & that's what he (we) made. :) Yum! I like making stroganoff from scratch though. Cook the noodles, add the ground beef and let it cook and add some beef bouillion cubes, drain once beef is done, then add sour cream. YUM!
  • jdavis193
    Options
    There is something that everyone eats that is bad for you. Nothing wrong with that you eat in moderation. That's why most people gain there weight. They think there serving is a few plate. It's one cup!!!! That's where we go wrong.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    How I miss Ole Faithful. We haven't had it in years.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    we have HH at least once a week. We use ground turkey instead, and often I add fresh veggies. The stroganoff is awesome with sliced mushroom!
  • tinasullens
    tinasullens Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    It would be ok to have this as a cheat meal once a week but I wouldn't make a habit out of it if you're wanting to lose weight or be healthy. I'm sure the whole grain version is a tad better, but still, I would not have food like this more than for your cheat meal once a week. And still stay within your calorie range!

I don't deprive myself of my favorite things, but moderation and portion size is important. So enjoy it every now and then.
  • gadgetgizzmo
    Options
    Hamburger Helper. Yum. Our favorite is the cheesy hashbrowns. Of course it is not all that low in calories and not the healthiest for you, but sometimes I just need something easy to make and easy to measure and count calories. Lately though, we have been enjoying the tuna helper which is a little lower cal and still just as good.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I really dislike Hamburger, but I love Venison Helper :wink:
    Much healthier, since deer meat is so lean. I like the Tuna Helpers too.
  • ♥dawnwestbury♥
    Options
    didnt know they had a whole wheat version, i did switch to WW pasta and the kids didnt notice, i'm sure they would with this either....whats with the turkey meat? never had it, is it different in taste alot?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    didnt know they had a whole wheat version, i did switch to WW pasta and the kids didnt notice, i'm sure they would with this either....whats with the turkey meat? never had it, is it different in taste alot?

I used 97% lean turkey meat last time. I didn't like it much.
    When I used the 85% lean turkey meat, I didn't mind it.
    Still much healthier than ground beef.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Nom nom nom! Cheesy Italian Shells is my fave. I usually cut down the amount of milk called for, and use lean ground beef. The real killer is the sodium, and there's no way around it. I have it maybe once a month, and it is so delicioussssss

The last time I had it I had Stroganoff and I added tons of sliced mushrooms and peas. You could even eliminate the beef altogether and just use the mushrooms as a meat substitute. I am just sure to drink several more glasses of water if I know I am having HH for dinner!
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options

I used 97% lean turkey meat last time. I didn't like it much.
    When I used the 85% lean turkey meat, I didn't mind it.
    Still much healthier than ground beef.

The 85% lean ground turkey is only healthier if you compair it to regular ground beef, not extra lean ground beef. Even though it is more expensive, I go for the extra lean ground beef myself. It has less calories, fat, and cholesterol than 85% lean turkey and I just don't like the 97% turkey.
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Anyone else remember a flavor called Beef Romanoff? My parents used to make that instead of the Stroganoff and it was so good. I just haven't seen it in a long time.
  • jdavis193
    Options
    It would be ok to have this as a cheat meal once a week but I wouldn't make a habit out of it if you're wanting to lose weight or be healthy. I'm sure the whole grain version is a tad better, but still, I would not have food like this more than for your cheat meal once a week. And still stay within your calorie range!

I don't deprive myself of my favorite things, but moderation and portion size is important. So enjoy it every now and then.

It's all about moderation. I still eat everything but just fewer. I measure everything out. I went from 134 to 110 in 10 mo. I have a 10 month old daughter. I was usually 125 prepregnancy.!!!