Low carb, high fiber, low sodium foods

Options
I'm looking to cut back on two major things in my diet: carbs and sodium. And I need your help.

What are some great low carb, high fiber foods? How many carbs do you eat each day?
What are some great low sodium options? What do you set for your sodium intake?

Replies

• myrahonbarrier
    myrahonbarrier Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    can't wait to hear the answers for this....trying to do the same. But it sure doesn't seem like low carb/high fiber go together :(
  • loadsandloads
    loadsandloads Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help but I have a sheet from DH doctor that says he can have as many carbs as his weight. ex: wt 150 carbs 150. I don't necessarily agree with this as personally I don't deal well with carbs. I have learned though if they are "natural" carbs as opposed to chips/fries and things like that it doesn't seem to bother me as much.

I aim for 100 carbs day but typically exceed due to eating more fresh fruit these days. I've been eating blackberries and they seem to be fairly well balanced with carbs/fiber. I also like to occasionally have LaTortilla wraps as they are high fiber and then I can put whatever I want in them. Sometimes put some hummus on them and load up with veggies then I have the feel of having bread and crunch of eating ....win, win

I don't know if any of this helps or not but thought I would share

Have a great day! :smile:
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Calories matter more than carbs.

Protein and Fiber help with feeling less hungry (THIS is the basis of the low carb diets! Not the preposterous idea that carbs are bad for your health).

Also worth noting that Fiber is a carb...

(It is actually the same exact chemical formula as glucose, but arranged only slightly differently)
  • angelalf1979
    angelalf1979 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Bump. Need to know this too!
  • angelalf1979
    Options
    What are some great low sodium options? What do you set for your sodium intake?

I've just learned to read the labels!! The recommended daily sodium intake is actually less than 2300mg a day
    Some sites say 2500 but 2300 is what I shoot for. Its hard some days bc seems like everything and I mean everything has fricken sodium in it!! Its frustrating for me bc my body likes to retain water if I'm just a mg over my sodium and I cant weigh myself properly for about three days after a high sodium day. I know your struggle!!

Also it is just as important to get your recommended daily potassium (4700mg). That is what flushes out your excesd sodium. Balance low sodium with high potassium. There are many fruits and veggies that contain high amounts of potassium. If I am behind on my potassium amounts, I crank it up with a serving or more of V8, the low sodium kind. ;)
  • Anastacia1119
    Anastacia1119 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • schaapj2
    schaapj2 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Edamame....high in soy protein too!
  • angelalf1979
    Options
    Just discovered low carb, low sodium, high protein food... GREEK YOGURT. I ate a cup of it today and I surpassed my protein percentage which I never do. It was like 24g protein and 9 carbs. Not bad sodium content either.
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Vegetables are what you're looking for. Broccoli, cauliflower, squash, spinach, kale, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage, etc.
    There's a ton you can do with veggies to make them into meals.

Grilled asparagus with poached eggs and parmesean cheese
    Mashed cauliflower with garlic
    Broccoli fritters (broccoli, egg, a tiny bit of flour (almond meal if you really want to be super low carb), cheese, garlic)
    Roasted brussel sprouts with bacon
    Squash spaghetti with meat balls
    Kale stir fry
    Cauliflower crust pizza
  • HausfrauB
    HausfrauB Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    The most amazing low carb / high fiber food I've found is....coconut flour!

1/2 cup is all you need to make a single layer cake. Yes, I said cake!

Here's the nutritional breakdown for 1/2 cup coconut flour:

496 cals
    16g total fat
    20g protein

68g carbohydrates - gross
    -44g fiber
    24 g carbohydrates - net

24g of carbs in an entire cake (assuming that you use liquid stevia) is amazing!!! Divided by 12 that's 2g net carbs per slice!

What's not to love? :)
  • MandaKayMakesIt
    Options
    Bump for more responses

Love the edamame idea--didn't even think of it! And I am trying to get more veggies in--I can't stand most of them (surprise!). I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt, apples, etc...what else y'all got? :)
  • kaervaak
    kaervaak Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes with citrucel powder (psybicillum husk) are a great way to start your day.

Milk, vanilla whey powder, citrucel and some greek yogurt to give it some creaminess. Tastes kinda like a creamsicle.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I have high blood pressure so I'm only supposed to have 1500mg or less per day.

My fav food is homemade tortilla pizzas made with homemade sauce and tons of veggies and mushrooms. I use part skim mozzerella cheese but I use the finely shredded and use less of it to keep the sodium down. You can also buy low carb tortillas but I've never tried them.
    Basically I've learned that in order to keep my sodium down, I have to prepare nearly all of my food and never use anything out of a can.
  • sportybrewerschick
    sportybrewerschick Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    BUMP!
  • cactuscallie
    cactuscallie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I try to get a lot of my carbs by eating unsalted or low sodium vegetables which also are high in fiber. People sometimes don't realize how many carbs are in vegetables and that you don't have to eat much pasta, bread, rice, etc., to get your carbs. Plus veggies have lots of vitamins, antioxidants, and such, that our bodies need.
  • cactuscallie
    cactuscallie Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    We also like to use Flatout flatbread Light Original and Healthy Life bread for sandwiches. Low carb and high fiber. Tastes great!
  • rose313
    rose313 Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Brown rice
    Oatmeal
    Whole wheat bread
    Whole fruits
    Whole vegetables
    Peanuts
    Low fat yogurt
    Milk
    Whole wheat spaghetti
    High fiber cereals
    Lean meats like chicken and turkey
    Hard-boiled egg
    Mixed nuts with raisins

A lot of these have healthy fats as well, but be careful not to go over your fat percentage goal either. I eat a normal sized amount of these types of foods daily and I never go over my fat, but it also depends how much you eat and what you like.
  • tifanico
    tifanico Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Calories matter more than carbs.

Protein and Fiber help with feeling less hungry (THIS is the basis of the low carb diets! Not the preposterous idea that carbs are bad for your health).

Also worth noting that Fiber is a carb...

(It is actually the same exact chemical formula as glucose, but arranged only slightly differently)
    I would love to know what are your sources for this. In some cases the amount of carbs DO matter. If you are just looking to lose weight, then this advice would apply. If you had a condition like PCOS or diabetes, managing carbs is absolutely the most important thing no matter how many calories are you consuming.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Great thread, great food ideas, thanks
  • chrtyA
    chrtyA Posts: 39
    Options
    Good ole beans and lentils (dry-then cooked) 3% DV sodium, 7% DV carbs and 23+% DV protein. Does that count?