Thanksgiving worries

Options
as we all know, thanksgiving is right around the corner. that means feasting and having fun with family and friends, what i'm worried about is totally screwing myself over on my calorie count, anyone have any tips for how to keep the calorie count low this holiday season?

Replies

• queensturg
    Options
    Going over in your calories on one day won't throw you off too much, you certainly won't gain weight after just one meal; it's when you get in the habit of consistently having "bad days" that you'll start to gain weight. Try not to worry and just enjoy your day, but if it makes you feel better you can always pre-log your food into your diary before you eat so you know how many cals you'll be eating and then you can make that your limit for yourself. Turkey is a really healthy meat anyways! :)
  • treatyoselftoslim
    Options
    thanksgiving is all about celebrating abundance. i say take the day off or choose one thanksgiving food you can't live without. if turkey's your thing, go wild (actually, that would be great since it's a lean meat!). i'm not against just taking it off completely, but like i said, i tend to overdo it, so i'm think i'll choose one thing to indulge in: pie! that's my kryptonite. but if you deprive yourself completely of the holiday, you might wind up craving it and binge later on. better to say: this is my indulgence, and i will not go crazy on leftovers. set clear limits ahead of time. that's my two cents. and yes, i've been thinking a lot about it too! weigh yourself the morning of or the day before to remember why you're exercising self-control in general.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    A couple of things: Don't wolf down your food. Try eating your food more slow than normal, this will give your brain time to register that your stomach is full and you won't eat as much. You can also just eat smaller portions of each dish being served, that way you won't feel like you're depriving yourself of anything. Or, you can just eat super light at breakfast/lunch and save all your cals for dinner.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    IMO, Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are way to special to worry about. If you are really worried about the one meal- workout that morning and you'll need the extra cals back.

You'll usually see the scale move after a meal like that from sodium intake, making you retain water- which will go away after a day anyway. The actual weight gain from a single meal is rarely noticeable.

Enjoy the Holidays and enjoy family/friends. Worst case scenario is you'll gain a little weight and have a reason to be motivated the following week at the gym.
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I never worry when it comes to the holiday dinner. I just have a little bit of everything I want. I do not take large portions or go back for seconds. I even have desert I just take a small piece with a little whipped cream or ice cream. I do not try all the deserts offered I pick one. Just try to get a workout in the AM and enjoy yourself and keep reminding yourself that you do not have to eat the appetizers offered and its not the end of the world if you do.
  • rogers8702
    rogers8702 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    just work out in the am or pm if possible. enjoy the holiday!
  • allsetnow
    Options
    I too will have a little of everything that tempts me at Thanksgiving. It would just make me feel too deprived not to. But I decided a few days ago just to be really "good" (stay within my calorie limits with healthy food and exercise daily) in the days leading up to Thanksgiving. That way I think I will be able to indulge that day without feeling guilty, and not feel like I am on some sort of slippery slope of overeating. The important thing for me is to feel in control of what I am eating, and to get right back on track after the indulgence.