HRM?? Any one know of good brands?

Options
I'm looking to buy one that won't kill my budget but I know it will work. Any advice?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Polar. I have the ft4 and love it.
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are but FT7 is cheap on UK A maxim at the moment.
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Ive got a kelly holmes HRM. I brought it last year from tesco direct. It cost me £27, its lush and pink, very accurate. It does as good of a job as those expensive FT7 or whatever they are!
  • Omi_16
    Omi_16 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Polar - any of them are great. I have an FT40, friends have an FT4 and love it. I don't think you can go wrong. I'm trying a Garmin Forerunner 110, which is a GPS with a HRM as well, as I'm starting to get serious about my running and want to track my times/distances better, but for general fitness, you can't beat Polar!
  • ebowlotus1960
    ebowlotus1960 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Polar developed the first HRM, they are very accurate, especially for calorie burning but if it's purely rate you need all monitors are pretty accurate for that. I had one of the tesco ones and found it over-estimated calories by 50% compared to the polar. Obviously no monitor will calculate 100% accurately but 600 cals is about right for what I do compared to 1000.
  • shytrevoak
    shytrevoak Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you all for your input! It's incredibly helpful!!
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    My family has 4 Polar FT-7 and all are very happy. Be sure to get one that has the chest strap that sends a signal to your 'watch' device. Those are the more accurate over non chest strap types.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I heard great things about the Polar FT4 so I got one from bodytronics.com, but I can't seem to get it to work. I went to polar's website and tried what it said in the troubleshooting and when that didn't work I contacted bodytronics. The told me contact Polar for more troubleshooting, I did and still haven't heard anything back.

Long story short if you don't need support Polar might be good but if you know you might need help Polar/bodytronics support is less that helpful.
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your polar ft4 I got mine from bodytronics too and it's been working great - you must have got a lemon :( - I love mine!
  • jayne_mel
    jayne_mel Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I just bought the FT4, love it. Was super easy to set up and use.
  • bbgughj
    bbgughj Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7 , My first ever HRM. I've been Impressed with it so far.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Polar. I have the ft4 and love it.
    ^ this =)
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear you are having trouble with your polar ft4 I got mine from bodytronics too and it's been working great - you must have got a lemon :( - I love mine!

Yeah i'm not sure, I really just want to know why and if the whole thing is the problems or which piece but I can't get an answer. As far as I can tell the transmitter will not connect to the watch (the heart is empty). Every time I to measure heart rate it comes up with "Check heart rate transmitter" I have made sure there is enough water on the strap and I've even switched the battery on the transmitter. Beyond that I have no clue and I can't get an answer.
  • harleigh67
    Options
    I have a wrist watch one from Walmart for $27 its okay , but you have to continue to check it every 10 -15 minutes for it to give you an accurate reading which is annoying, I have looked into several, yes the chest strap is most accurate, yet you have to be able to get chest strap around you depending on size or get used to wearing it on bra, the fit bit only tracks steps with altitude no HRM so you may 10,000 steps at day at work like everyone else but never got your HR in do the burn zone so all you really tracked was the amount of calories burned daily which MFP allows you to do by setting your your activity level based on type of work you do, I am looking into the one shown on here all the time and if you click the ad that is off to the side for the BODY MEDIA FIT it gives you a discount for being MFP member...you are looking at between $75-$150 for a decent one that allows you to just exercise with out having to push its buttons for readings, & to be able to input info into computer without having to type it all in...in Jan. I am getting it! I saved a little each month in a jar
  • adianeschu
    adianeschu Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    bump