Can't run

Options
I have no idea how to deal with Shin splints. I bought an elliptical because i just could not run. I did it very well at first but then my shins started to truly hurt. (This is not an excuse). I wanted to run. I used to get real grumpy because i wanted to go for a jog but i just could not do it. That is why the wife let me spend to get the elliptical.

I was hoping i could pick your brains for solutions to shin splints. I have heard a lot of things but i really need some real advice from people that know.

Thanks.

Replies

• HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Get fitted for proper shoes because your gait and how you're landing may effect you being prone to shin splints. Also when you do get them ice and stretch; repeat. I had really bad splints when my shoes wore out and after icing, stretching properly and getting the right shoes I haven't had issues since.
  • francesiax
    Options
    Rest! That is the key thing. You cannot do any exercise that puts pressure on your legs. Try swimming if not then nothing for a couple of weeks. Go to your GP to find out if there are any creams or tablets that could help speed up the healing process, If after that it still hurts then go back to your GP for further advice.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    Thanks

I forgot to mention one thing. I have a slightly unnatural gait. Not a big deal really. Most people can't really notice when i walk. However my feet angle out slightly. Tows pointing away. My wife likes to joke with me about it. Don't know if this might have something to do with shin splints but gait was brought up so i thought i should mention it.

My shoes are well worn. Old even. And if importent, i Have always had flat feet. No arch.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I fought shin splints and won....proper shoes with proper insoles are KEY. If you didn't buy them at a running store, most likely you have the wrong shoe. Second, I had to do what I called "tip toes." I would do this randomly through out the day, (yes people look at your funny but who cares.) Stand flat footed, raise up on your tip toes and back down. I would do this 10 times and several sets throughout the day.
  • Brighamy
    Brighamy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I also suffered badly with shin splints, and after much research discovered ther were various factors causing them, the main one being trying to do too much too soon. First off - invest in a really good pair of trainers, from a shop where they look at your walking/running motion and advise on your needs. Secondly - try doing lots of stretching and exercises to build up the front/sides of your shins - a good exercise is to lie on your back on the floor raise each ley in turn about 1ft off the floor, and write the letters of the alphabet in the air with your toes. also try balancing on a step wiwith just your toes and balls of your feet on the step, and raise and loweryour self. Lastly - break yourself in gently with the running and slowly build it up. Hope this is of some help.

regards

John.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Thanks

I forgot to mention one thing. I have a slightly unnatural gait. Not a big deal really. Most people can't really notice when i walk. However my feet angle out slightly. Tows pointing away. My wife likes to joke with me about it. Don't know if this might have something to do with shin splints but gait was brought up so i thought i should mention it.

My shoes are well worn. Old even. And if importent, i Have always had flat feet. No arch.

Old shoes are going to be killer on your body! I never wear my shoes past about 9-12 months and at that age I don't even consider mileage. The material in the shoes starts to break down with time as well as mileage. Like I said in my OP, fitted shoes are key! The store should put you on a treadmill and film your gait and show you just what you need. Check with the stores return policy, I know my local fleet feet has a "gotta love it" guarantee.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I have the dreaded shin splints and went to the doctors and was told to take painkillers and most of all plenty of rest its been near a week now and feel better but still at times feel a slight pain not sure if its to do with shin but its hit and mis but will be glad to get back to running
  • c2111
    c2111 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I too suffer with shin splints, I dread them :( What I have found is:- I had a break of running(2 weeks) and then started slow, and I got new running shoes, in the last 3 weeks I have had one slight twinge but nothing like what I went through. So rest your legs for a few days, get fitted for shoes. I also did the toe raise exercise I have no idea if it helped, a few other posters have mentioned it, Im sure its on utube just type in shin splints. Goodluck and happy running I hope you get there, theres nothing worse than not being able to do what you love. Btw when I started again, I had rest days every other day, I think that has helped too.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

I too have flat feet with no arch. You likely will need what the running shoe industry calls "Motion control/ Stability shoes" Many running shoe companies make this kind of shoe. I found Brooks and New Balance to be my 2 favorite. They look like shoes Frankenstein would wear but the comfort you feel trumps the look.
  • pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    I fought shin splints and won....proper shoes with proper insoles are KEY. If you didn't buy them at a running store, most likely you have the wrong shoe. Second, I had to do what I called "tip toes." I would do this randomly through out the day, (yes people look at your funny but who cares.) Stand flat footed, raise up on your tip toes and back down. I would do this 10 times and several sets throughout the day.
    ^^

AND no one has mentioned HEEL striking
    When you run shorten your stride and dont land heel first land mid foot or ball of foot
    heel striking and improper shoes is the main cause of shin splints
    rest ice streatch and when pain is gone start back slow 2:1s rest day inbetween runns two if anything is still sore
  • smanda65
    smanda65 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It was suggested to me to look on you tube by a marathon runner. He used to have shin splints but found excercises and stretches that ' cured' him. Shoes are important but foot planting should be looked at also.
  • emily_bird
    Options
    1# Try for an easier pace and lower setting. It might be too much too soon.
    2# Check that your feet are in the right place within the foot area.
    3# Stretch
    4# It might be that a treadmill is better suited to you at this stage.
    5# Check that your shoes aren't too tight.
    6# Try to mix another form of exercise in and do the elliptical every second day ?

Good luck!
  • emily_bird
    Options
    I just read some of the comments, and I definitely agree with making sure that your heel is striking down correctly!Try to stand straight and make sure that your gait is straight. Basically, try and have good form.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Compression socks. Go to amazon.com and search cep compression socks. Read the reviews. Then buy some :-) I started running pretty aggressively from the beginning, and they kept me injury free. I went for a week thinking I didn't need them, and had Achilles issues. I've been using them ever since recovering from my istake, built up to 15 miles with no injuries, and won't even run a short run without them.
  • sarahc001
    sarahc001 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I also would change your gait to minimize heel striking while you run. But I imagine this issue is irrelevant on an elliptical.
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    1# Try for an easier pace and lower setting. It might be too much too soon.
    2# Check that your feet are in the right place within the foot area.
    3# Stretch
    4# It might be that a treadmill is better suited to you at this stage.
    5# Check that your shoes aren't too tight.
    6# Try to mix another form of exercise in and do the elliptical every second day ?

Good luck!

I run outside. Sorry if my post was confusing. I only purchesed the elliptical to use BECAUSE of my shin splints. I do not get shin splints while on the elliptical. It is non impact. Does any one have any suggestions on shoes that are not super expensive?
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I suffer from shin splints 24/7, but only on my left leg. That foot overpronates, or tips in at the heel area, and my shoes are worn. I know what to for that!

My most damage occurs overnight. Now that I'm thinner, I sleep like the dead, and on my stomach. The only position my foot can take is totally pointed-laid out flat. Throughout the night, every time I wake I force myself to get out of that position and get my foot to a 90-degree position, and the pain is MUCH LESS.

So...think about the less obvious things that could be effecting you adversely, they all sure add up to lots of pain sometimes.
  • repmlrs
    repmlrs Posts: 154
    Options
    see a doctor. and get fitted for shoes like everyone says. if u just try to run through it you can really end up messing yourself up cuz the muscle is pulling away from the bones and stuff. it happened to me untill i got good inserts for my shoes. and when i over jumprope. stretch ure calfs deep and normal
  • AngelaBianco82
    AngelaBianco82 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Great Topic! I'm having the same problem and I'm taking a break till I heal. I know how defeated you feel when you have just started and now you have to stop. Don't feel bad!
  • taekwonkenpo
    Options
    see a doctor. and get fitted for shoes like everyone says. if u just try to run through it you can really end up messing yourself up cuz the muscle is pulling away from the bones and stuff. it happened to me untill i got good inserts for my shoes. and when i over jumprope. stretch ure calfs deep and normal

Most of the advice i heard at first was to just push threw it. I tried to just walk/run or take breaks. But it took a week or longer sometimes for the pain to subside. I am definitly not going to push through it. Been there done that. It don't work. It felt like my bone was going to fall off my leg. Which is not that far off from what is really happening.