Hurt knee interrupted workouts... I've lost all motivation

Options
Hey guys,

So as a change up to my workout routine, I began the Insanity program a little over 3 weeks ago. I was doing great for a couple weeks and making progress and seeing results, and then last week (a week ago from wednesday) my knee, which has been hurting on and off for the last couple of years, really began to hurt. Minus a two mile run last monday, and the general walking I do during the day, I haven't been doing ANY exercise in hopes that I'll wake up and my knee will be fine (which is what has always happened before) and I'll be back to the videos. The problem is that my knee has been hurting more and more, even walking up and down stairs and sitting down, every single day. At least for a week and a half, it's been affecting my diet negatively and putting me into almost a depression because I can't workout and I mentally want to punch myself into a wall. I don't know what to do, I don't know which exercises I can do without hurting my knee more... I even tried an elliptical for a little while but it hurt because it requires I bend and unbend my knee.

I'm also afraid to see the doctor because I'm scared of being told that I can't workout for a while and I'll gain all my weight back. It was around this time last year that I stopped dieting/working out and gained all my weight back and I'm TERRIFIED of that now.

:( Help me.

Replies

• CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, a recumbent exercise cycle is a very low impact way to get exercise with a crummy knee. That's what I use while I wait for my partial knee replacement surgery.
  • eandrsmom
    Options
    I have been right there with you for the past few months. My cardio has dwindled significantly (I can only do the recumbent bike a few times a week) but I have kept up with my lifting. And I have made sure to keep on top of how I am eating. I have lost about 15 pounds since then, so it is definitely doable. Don't panic or get down. If you need to, just go into maintenance mode until you feel better. But don't push it, otherwise you will end up in physical therapy and sidelined for a lot longer than you need to be!!!! Good luck!!! :wink:
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I would see a doctor just to be sure you aren't doing permanent damage to your knee that might require surgery. Always listen to your body, a minor setback is still better than a major one. Also don't be hard on yourself for not working out, a lot of people here are losing a lot of weight through eating better alone.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about not workingout as at the moment I am having to stop running due to shin splints in my left leg and I did not want to go to the doctors but had to as it was not shifting and they told me to take pain killers a nd most of all no running for 2-4 weeks and thats been a killer for me and its only been a week but hope to be back for my 5k run next saturday as long as my leg lets me so please go to your doctor they know whats best
  • fitmom_pam1976
    fitmom_pam1976 Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you! I am terrified that I will gain all the weight back since I have stopped exercising due to a bad knee pain. I have gone to the doctor and he recommended an xray of the knee. I get my results on Tuesday. I hope this is just a minor set back. I miss my regular exercise routines so much!!! I will try hard to get back on track even without the exercising! I am going to try the bike as suggested. We can do this!!!
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I wear elasticated tubular bandage on both knees when exercising as I have a problem with both knees. Using the bandages during exercise my knees are fine and do not give me any pain. Then with some exercise I just take it easy until I know they do not jar my knees too much.
  • Fnarkk
    Fnarkk Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to work in a physical therapy department and have seen many such injuries expecially from someone who has just started a high impact workout like insanity. It could be as little as tendonitis or as bad as a ligament/meniscal tear but there is no realy good way to find out unless you know what you are looking for. I would go to a doctor or a professional who can accurately diagnose your problem and give you a solution to fix it. Most of the time, surgery is not required and instead an alternative workout plan is recommended. Swimming is great for a low-med workout against moderate resistance-- really depends on how hard you push yourself in the water. Also, start checking out the knee supports at your local drugstore. Due to some slight indiscretions (I was whacked in the knee with a broadsword) I have patellar instability and occasionally have to use one due to severe pain; HOWEVER, I had it checked out just to make sure I didnt chip it which would have been really bad. Don't worry, this is just a minor setback. You WILL recover. Peace.
  • Chellbelle60
    Options
    You have to get treatment for the knee-some ultrasound therapy for example. Find a good sport physiotherapist. Meanwhile you can do some weights or some boxing exercises. Don't panic there are alternatives! Wishing you a speedy recovery!
  • jenndymond
    jenndymond Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Be careful. Insanity (with most polymetrics) is infamous for causeing knee and joint injuries. As tough as it is see your doctor you dont want permiment damage. I work with acrobatic artists and they ice everything all the time. Most swear my it. Swimming is a good alternative if you want to keep up easy in the joints and have you see the backs of they athleates? Hot!

Take care of that knee.

.jd
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    For the last two months I have had chronic pain due to a shoulder injury. It doesn't take much to aggravate it so my exercise has been limited to one thirty minute walk or walk/run about every ten days. In the last two months I have lost seven pound just from keeping track of what I eat. I figured that if I'm going to be lying around watching movies and feeling sorry for myself, at least I can have a goal of losing the LAST ten pounds so that my suffering isn't a complete waste of time.
  • Bernadettetoo
    Options
    Hey guys,

So as a change up to my workout routine, I began the Insanity program a little over 3 weeks ago. I was doing great for a couple weeks and making progress and seeing results, and then last week (a week ago from wednesday) my knee, which has been hurting on and off for the last couple of years, really began to hurt. Minus a two mile run last monday, and the general walking I do during the day, I haven't been doing ANY exercise in hopes that I'll wake up and my knee will be fine (which is what has always happened before) and I'll be back to the videos. The problem is that my knee has been hurting more and more, even walking up and down stairs and sitting down, every single day. At least for a week and a half, it's been affecting my diet negatively and putting me into almost a depression because I can't workout and I mentally want to punch myself into a wall. I don't know what to do, I don't know which exercises I can do without hurting my knee more... I even tried an elliptical for a little while but it hurt because it requires I bend and unbend my knee.

I'm also afraid to see the doctor because I'm scared of being told that I can't workout for a while and I'll gain all my weight back. It was around this time last year that I stopped dieting/working out and gained all my weight back and I'm TERRIFIED of that now.

You really need to get that knee looked at. It could something as simple as fluid and can be drained. Using it and not knowing what is wrong could lead to more problems. Think about it and good luck.:smile:
  • RunningOnPurple
    RunningOnPurple Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Please go to the doctor. Knowing will be much better than not knowing. Besides, if you don't go, you might be damaging it further by trying to exercise or even just walking with it hurting so much.

If a doctor tells you that you can to mild exercises, I would recommend water aerobics. I have a torn meniscus in one knee and I do both shallow and deep water aerobics throughout the week. I can also tolerate some walking, but have been advised by a doctor to steer clear of walking a 5K. Even so, there are some exercises that I can do and most likely you will find that there are some that you can do, too.
  • m_shuman
    m_shuman Posts: 179
    Options
    First of all see a doctor. Secondly lay off the high impact exercises. Running is the worst thing you can do if you have knee or back pain. It is very high impact. Thirdly, get on a bike. Biking is very low impact and it is one of the things doctors reccommend even to people who recently went through knee surgery for rehab.

Just because you are having pain in one of your knees dosen't mean you should stop exercising completely. Sometimes this is the worst thing we can do. Have you considered a routine where you work your arms and abs only? You could do this using free weights and an exercise ball. Good luck please go to the doctor and get this checked out.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,

Believe me, this is incredibly frustrating. I can't comment on what exactly is wrong with your knee, but seeing a doctor ( unless you live in the UK, where they only treat ingrowing toe-nails, coughs and colds) you will gain a better understanding, and then physiotherapy or even an osteopath can help your knee to recover and eventually heal.

It DOES feel so very frustrating..I am a new runner and suffered a knee injury that prevented me from running for 10 weeks and I missed my first half marathon....but I did seek the right treatment and did gain an understanding of what is 'over training', and now ran a half marathon 3 weeks after recovering.

Please don't do further damage by thinking you will wake up one day and your knee will be magically healed..thats not going to happen...but do seek qualified medical help and also consider doing alternative exercises whilst you recover, like swimming, bike riding etc.

good luck!
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    see a doctor
  • kimharper13
    Options
    First of all ---- GO TO YOUR DOCTOR!!! You need to find out for certain what is wrong with your knee so it can be corrected and you can get back to doing the cardio you enjoy. I speak from first hand experience; I was walking 5 miles a day until one day my knee was bothering me a little. I figured I could just "walk it out"and did my usual evening 5 mile walk. By the time I finished my walk I was in tears and the next morning could not walk at all. Two x-ray and an MRI later the doctor determined I had a stress fracture at the top of my tibia. That put a 10 week hold on my walking and lower body strength training. To say I was bummed is putting it lightly. But instead of letting it stop my progress I looked for other ways to work out. I was able to find an indoor pool that I could join for a very low monthly fee and I started to swim. I found out that I loved it, I know swim and hour and a half 4 to 5 times per week. At the gym I had to stay off the treadmill and elliptical so I did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike. I hated it at first but I found if I mixed up my workout by increasing and decreasing the resistance I found I really could burn some calories and get a great cardio work out. Now that my fracture has healed and my doctor released me I have decided to combine the swimming and biking with something I've never done, running, and have started to train to do a sprint triathlon in the summer. This is something I don't think I would have ever thought of if I didn't have to find new and different ways to exercise. Therefore, I feel the fracture ended up being a blessing in the long run. So, you can make lemonade out of this or you can just suck on the lemons. Don't let this setback get you down, find a way around it and you will be stronger in the long run. You can do it!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to go to the doctor. If you have taken a break from exercise for a full week and it still hurts, then you really ought to have it looked at. I was getting pain in my knee joint from doing the 30 day shred, and so I added two rest days in between 30ds workouts, just walking in between. That solved the problem. But if it keeps hurting for a week or more, it's time to go to the doctor.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I completely understand you not wanting to go to the doctor. I avoid them until it's no longer possible myself. However, if you want to find out if your knee will heal on it's own, you have to actually give it time to heal on it's own. Sounds like you are trying to push thru when it sounds like you should take some time to rest the knee. Give yourself two or three weeks of letting your knee rest and see if the pain seems to be subsiding (truthfully, it sounds like it's doctor time, but i don't know your pain threshhold so I can't say).

Second, you won't gan all your weight back because you had to lay off exercse for a while. You'll gain it back if you overeat. Budget your calories accordingly.

Best of luck.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I've had two knee injuries in the past four years which required surgery. Was I bummed about not working out for a while? Of course! But it's just a bump in the road.

Bottom line is, you need to see a doctor and rest that knee. Ice it, stay off it, and let it heal. Your doctor will give your more detailed advice but don't be afraid. As another poster said, it might be a minor setback but you'll get past it.
  • Lady_Bane
    Lady_Bane Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I tore my rhomboid bad. I weight lifted around it. Sit on a bench, and lift some upper body weights!