Quantifying results without the aid of a scale

Options
So I've been here for a little over four months now. Throughout that time I've had a couple lapses (drinking, overindulging in pizza, etc...), but for the most part I stuck to it. I haven't seen the scale move much, though I've lost quite a few inches in various places, including my gut and waist.

Here lately I've been in a bit of a slump; I've put on a few pounds, but still lost inches. While I'm happy I lost the inches I was hoping to be further along in the weight department that I am (scale dependent mindset). So to help move that needle some more I've refocused my efforts on healthier eating choices, removing the things I can't help but binge on, and adding elliptical cardio on my non-jogging days.

This is where I quantify four months worth of results without the aid of a scale (NSV). Just before I started my journey I got on the elliptical and went maybe 15 minutes at resistance level 3. I managed to get in just under a mile, at around a 19 to 21 min/mi. This morning I managed to do a 5k (3.1 mi) at a pace of about 10 to 11 min/mi on resistance level 5. Oh, and before I started my journey, when I went 15 minutes on the elliptical, I threw up afterwards. Now I'm like, "Was that it?".

So I beat around the bush quite a bit, but the ultimate lesson I learned this morning is that even if the scale doesn't move much, and even if the inches aren't moving a whole lot, it doesn't mean that significant progress isn't being made. Don't lose focus, stay motivated, and most importantly keep kicking life's *kitten*!

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Pictures and clothing size are what I am going by! No one cares or even knows the number on the scale, they only know what you look like...
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    Glad you were able to break free from the mental slavery our mind falls into due to the number on the scale. I had a month and a half plateau with the scale but during it my lifting increased by 25% minimum and my biking distance and time increased by 12 miles and 30 minutes. So it's very healthy to use a couple of different methods to measure progress instead of focusing on one number.
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Im so glad you posted this, knowing Im not the only one. I have for the past 3 weeks had no inch loss or weight loss and like you Ive lost 26inches since august but only 7lbs. I cycle (spin/mountain bike) and I lift weights and I started Tapout XT 3 weeks ago, so with no "progress" I felt stuck this week however, I am stronger have more stamina and Im fitter. Thanks for sharing this it has cleared the fog a bit :)
  • Siekobilly
    Siekobilly Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I figured I couldn't be the only one who wasn't seeing the scales/inches move even though I was making progress. That's ultimately what drove me to post the topic. Glad it helped someone :)
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    the scales LIE! I believe you have made great progress..you have lost inches and your body is much more efficient and capable of doing the workouts which were once difficult.

I am a firm believer in inches rather than numbers on a scale. yesterday, I weighed 3.4 lbs MORE after running a half marathon run than i did when Iw eighed myself before I went for my run .go figure! LOL
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    Cosigningヾ( ´ー`)
    Pictures and clothing size are what I am going by! No one cares or even knows the number on the scale, they only know what you look like...
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    get naked look in the mirror and look at the extra inches your gained on your love muscle...
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Scale is far less important that body fat percentage... That is the number we all need to see drop. Best wishes on your journey.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Scale is far less important that body fat percentage... That is the number we all need to see drop. Best wishes on your journey.

This. I decided to get a hydrostatic body fat test done every 30 days a few months ago. At this point; I consider it a better indicator of my progress than a scale.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!