Calories In VS Calories Out Not Equal Weightloss??

Options
From my fitbit it shows in a week:

Total Cals Burned = 13422
Total Cals Eaten = 8467
Deficit = -4795

If the science works, how can this not equate to at least 1 lb of weightloss?

Replies

• avocad0
    Options
    Don't get discouraged, you might be holding water weight.
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    its same with me I have a deficit of 7000 calories a week which should be 2lb a week loss but generally i lose 1lb
    the reasons being
    1.BMR is an estimate
    2.Fitbit estimates calorie burn using your BMR as a base rate so if thats wrong in first place so will the calorie burn fitbit says you reach :)
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It is possible your not eating enough. My BMR is 1615 and if I burn say 500cals on that day, it means I need to eat 2115 cals just to net my BMR cals. Need to fuel your body for such expenditure of cals by exercise.

also you may be losing inches
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    An open diary would help.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,220 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of things from water retention to incorrect calorie amounts estimated from activity or calories consumed. I am guessing it would be water retention. For many people they can be in a calorie deficit for several weeks and not see a significant change on the scale, then suddenly for no apparent reason there is the "whoosh effect" (not my description by the way) and they lose a bunch of weight faster than their weekly calorie deficit would account for. If you have been measuring your food portions carefully, keep at it, the weight will come off, bur realize weight loss is not linear.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Muscle, water, undigested matter, ponies...

You are focusing too much on the trees for the forest. It will come off.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    its same with me I have a deficit of 7000 calories a week which should be 2lb a week loss but generally i lose 1lb
    the reasons being
    1.BMR is an estimate
    2.Fitbit estimates calorie burn using your BMR as a base rate so if thats wrong in first place so will the calorie burn fitbit says you reach :)
    This is most likely the case. As the others say, it could be water as well. Weight loss is not linear.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    1lb isn't a massive amount as above - I can easily drink a pint of water, squash, beer etc. That's over a pound instantly added.

Then there's the question of how accurate the fitbit is - it just calculates steps I think? But not all steps are created equal. And it has to use this as a guestimate to give you actual calories burned. For me, using a HRM to calculate calories, I've been finding that as I've got fitter the figures have gone down.

Then there's the question of accuracy of food entered - even if you're entering direct from manufacturers figures, they could still be out.
  • 4kuykesh
    4kuykesh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am certainly not giving up and will keep at it, at times is so darn frustrating!! :explode: :blushing:
  • tcalamity
    tcalamity Posts: 89 Member
    Options

Then there's the question of accuracy of food entered - even if you're entering direct from manufacturers figures, they could still be out.

^^ This is very true - I weigh everything I eat
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Even weighing everything - can you be sure that the potato you just weighed definitely has the same calories as the batch last week that were picked earlier in the season, or even came from a different farm etc?

It's all one big 'fudge', but it does sound like you're on the right track even if the bathroom scales aren't being so kind.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've found that week to week can vary quite a bit. BUT month to month is usually quite accurate.

here's 6 months of actual data since I started broken down by month
    actual loss
    total: 34.6

net calorie loss:
    total: 122985

projected loss:
    total: 35.1

As you can see it is very close. Notice that it can vary by a pound or so month to month on projected vs actual.

I did this by putting it on a spreadsheet. its easy to do, and only takes a few minutes to setup. this is MUCH better than my fitness pal reporting which frankly sucks. they should improve that.

One very important note is that I set my BMR to 2500 calories. It should have started at 3000ish and gone down about 7 calories for every pound I lose. If I used what the online calculator says for BMR my calories "loss" would have been much much higher, about 70,000 calories higher, or another 20 pounds in weight loss. I think there are so many variables in loss results.

I'm still very happy with my results, and now that I know to use 2500 for my BMR the numbers almost come out right on. Perhaps you should adjust your BMR so that you can adjust your expectations too?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The reason is because you're going off of what a fitbit says. Those things are not nearly as accurate as people believe and typically lead to overestimated daily burns.
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    also, not sure what impact Thyroid removal can have on weight loss. I'm sure you've researched that though. :)
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I apologies for the long post but I didn't have a lot of info to go on. Here are something to look at:

1)One thing I read about the fitbit is that is a glorified pedometer. The problem with pedometers is it doesn't measure how much energy you put into take those steps (did you just lift you feet and put them back down or did you move your body and take a full step), how fast you did them, how your Heart rate. I have also heard that it can tell you your took a bunch of steps when you are just sitting the your car on your way somewhere. The calories estimates can be off greatly. (Please correct me if I'm wrong but these are the reason I decided not to buy this product)

2)Now on the flip side, are you estimating your food intake? Or are you measuring it out? If you have a huge calorie deficient and just want to lose weight, you aren't concerned with how fast then ball parking it might be ok. But if you have a very limited amount of calories to work with and/or are concentrating on how fast I strongly recommend getting some good measuring cups and a kitchen scale and be vigilant. I have found I have also helped me learn to estimate better for those occasions you don't have them (like at someone else's house for dinner).

3)Another thing to look at isn't just you BMR like Tracey suggested. This can be a problem, but going farther. What activity level do you have yourself listed as? As a rule of thumb if you want to enter it DO NOT include it in you estimate of your activity levels. Example, Let's say you have yourself listen as moderate activity level and you put yourself there because you are always on the move at work. Then you are wearing your fitbit while you work. You take 5000 steps at work. You go home and enter those steps, but this is NOT what should be done! You are basically counting those calories twice. Once in your estimate of you activity level and the second time when you enter exactly what you did. If you plan to enter the exact what you did, don't include it. if you enter every calorie you burn then put your activity level as sedentary (i know that sucks but that is what you should. If you are counting twice and eating what it tells you then you are eating way too many calories.

4)Then after you check those thing make sure you are drinking enough water, especially if you have high sodium intake as that will make you retain water. Do not count caffeinated beverages, although caffeine is a diuretic that helps against water retention if you have not had enough water they will cause the process of water retention.

5)If you have added more exercise to your day you may have gained some muscle, even doing cardio. Muscle weighs more than fat. Other things that can impact the scale are when you weigh in, what you are wearing. If you weigh in to regularly then you will see much more fluctuation. What you ate the night before. Meat and fiber take longer to digest and can stick around for awhile. As well as bathroom habits.

6) Measure! Sometime we lose inches not weight, seeing those numbers change can help you when your scale isn't behaving.

7) There is another theory that as fat cells enter very fast the body is thinking they will be filled up again so it moves water into them as a place holder until they fill back up. This theory help explain the yoyo effect as well. If they stay empty long enough this water will release and you suddenly drop weight. This process is different than regular water retention and drink extra water won't help. What will help is unknown because it is just a theory, one that make a lot of sense, but still not proven.

TLDR: Check that your calories in and calories out are correct. Tons of things can impact the scale, don't get hung up on the scale being a little off if you know you are doing the correct thing. Drink plenty of water and don't give up. The scale will eventually catch up to where it should be.
  • 4kuykesh
    4kuykesh Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good information, Thanks for the suggestion!
  • traceygl1967
    traceygl1967 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I apologies for the long post but I didn't have a lot of info to go on. Here are something to look at:

1)One thing I read about the fitbit is that is a glorified pedometer. The problem with pedometers is it doesn't measure how much energy you put into take those steps (did you just lift you feet and put them back down or did you move your body and take a full step), how fast you did them, how your Heart rate. I have also heard that it can tell you your took a bunch of steps when you are just sitting the your car on your way somewhere. The calories estimates can be off greatly. (Please correct me if I'm wrong but these are the reason I decided not to buy this product)

2)Now on the flip side, are you estimating your food intake? Or are you measuring it out? If you have a huge calorie deficient and just want to lose weight, you aren't concerned with how fast then ball parking it might be ok. But if you have a very limited amount of calories to work with and/or are concentrating on how fast I strongly recommend getting some good measuring cups and a kitchen scale and be vigilant. I have found I have also helped me learn to estimate better for those occasions you don't have them (like at someone else's house for dinner).

3)Another thing to look at isn't just you BMR like Tracey suggested. This can be a problem, but going farther. What activity level do you have yourself listed as? As a rule of thumb if you want to enter it DO NOT include it in you estimate of your activity levels. Example, Let's say you have yourself listen as moderate activity level and you put yourself there because you are always on the move at work. Then you are wearing your fitbit while you work. You take 5000 steps at work. You go home and enter those steps, but this is NOT what should be done! You are basically counting those calories twice. Once in your estimate of you activity level and the second time when you enter exactly what you did. If you plan to enter the exact what you did, don't include it. if you enter every calorie you burn then put your activity level as sedentary (i know that sucks but that is what you should. If you are counting twice and eating what it tells you then you are eating way too many calories.

4)Then after you check those thing make sure you are drinking enough water, especially if you have high sodium intake as that will make you retain water. Do not count caffeinated beverages, although caffeine is a diuretic that helps against water retention if you have not had enough water they will cause the process of water retention.

5)If you have added more exercise to your day you may have gained some muscle, even doing cardio. Muscle weighs more than fat. Other things that can impact the scale are when you weigh in, what you are wearing. If you weigh in to regularly then you will see much more fluctuation. What you ate the night before. Meat and fiber take longer to digest and can stick around for awhile. As well as bathroom habits.

6) Measure! Sometime we lose inches not weight, seeing those numbers change can help you when your scale isn't behaving.

7) There is another theory that as fat cells enter very fast the body is thinking they will be filled up again so it moves water into them as a place holder until they fill back up. This theory help explain the yoyo effect as well. If they stay empty long enough this water will release and you suddenly drop weight. This process is different than regular water retention and drink extra water won't help. What will help is unknown because it is just a theory, one that make a lot of sense, but still not proven.

TLDR: Check that your calories in and calories out are correct. Tons of things can impact the scale, don't get hung up on the scale being a little off if you know you are doing the correct thing. Drink plenty of water and don't give up. The scale will eventually catch up to where it should be.

Some great advice here I have myself listed as sedentary and then if i wanted I could eat back excercise calories (usually dont)
    I also use a hrm for excercise as fitbit does not measure intensity
    In all honesty my fitbit is there as a reminder to keep moving only
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    This thread gives me hope about this community. Great advice everyone!
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Your body retains all sorts of liquid (water) and solids (waste). The math DOES equal out, however, you just need to be patient. For instance, one week where I should have lost a pound I didn't--but the next week I also should have lost a pound, but I lost 2.

It happens all of the time, yes it's discouraging, that's why you should measure inches as well!
  • LennyInFlorida
    Options
    Although, this reminds me of the time I was eating these 6 whole wheat big fig bars...

It said they were 60 calories each, but after doing further research, the whole foods place that sold them never cut them down so I was eating 120 calories each. I did this for a few months lol...