Best Salad Dressing?

Options
I've only begun my weight loss journey, and was wondering which salad dressing is the healthiest? I'm a bit picky though. Not really a fan of Italian, or any Vinegrette type dressings.

Thanks all!

Replies

• kellybones
    kellybones Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I really like the Bolthouse Farms yogurt based dressings - about 80 cal/2T for the ranch. They're kind of hard to find though.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I've only begun my weight loss journey, and was wondering which salad dressing is the healthiest? I'm a bit picky though. Not really a fan of Italian, or any Vinegrette type dressings.

Thanks all!

I used light ranch....before I switched to italian vinegrette.
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i am picky about salad dressings and would rather use the real deal just less of it.

my favorites are

naturally fresh brand
    ginger
    classic caesar

with beef
    maries blue cheese (yes i know this one is a killer calorie wise)

home made ranch (that one i do make with low fat mayo)

most of those are really thick and i thin them out with water (not the ginger) and enjoy them that way :)
  • ialmostfell
    ialmostfell Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I REALLY like Bolthouse Farms Creamy Yogurt Chunky Blue Cheese Dressing. It's 70 cals/2 tbs. and it's SO delicious. It's the kind I used to buy before I started dieting just because I liked the taste. I haven't had any of their other yogurt dressings, but I'm sure they're also good.
  • chaamigo
    chaamigo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    i will have to try the bolthouse bleu cheese
  • imdamom
    imdamom Posts: 42
    Options
    I like Wishbone's salad spritzers. I use their balsamic vinaigrette but they also have a honey mustard. They are like 1 to 2 calories per spritz and cover well. If you like Blue Cheese, Wishbone Chunky Fat Free Blue Cheese is really good and you can't tell it's fat free. It's only 35 calories per 2 tbsp serving.
  • mamacassi
    mamacassi Posts: 131
    Options
    I prefer not to waste my calories on dressing to be honest. I make my own, or try a low cal one. Cream based will be triple the calories. If you're serious about weight loss sometimes you have to expand your tongue and try new things. Not that yogurt is bad but if you eat a lot of salad it's wise to be cautious about what youre topping it with. They have really yummy recipes too. try spark recipe and find a homemade maybe?
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I don't like any light salad dressings as they taste nasty. I just use less of the real thing. With Ranch dressing, Hidden Valley Ranch I mix some with water to make it easier to drizzle a little over my salad. Once in a while I will use good Balsamic vineger & olive oil but I have be careful with vineger as I have acid reflux issues if I have too much of it. Or as my husband does with regular dressings dip your fork in the dressing then into your salad bite.
  • imagymrat
    imagymrat Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Presidents choice fat free honey dijon dressing, 30 calories a tablespoon, and sooooo yummy! I even cook with it, makes a mean pork loin in the crockpot!
  • countingdown
    countingdown Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Newmans Own Honey Mustard is pretty good (70 cals per serving)
  • suejonestx
    suejonestx Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Although I haven't tried it, some say squeezing a lemon over salad is a good dressing. Paul Newman makes a sesame ginger that's delicious and low-cal (http://www.newmansown.com/product_detail.aspx?productid=14)...use sparingly though as it is mighty flavorful.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms makes dressings with a yogurt base- they have a ranch, blue cheese, honey mustard, and several others. I absolutely love them- they're relatively low calories, and low in sodium. They're in the produce section with the Marie's dressings (near the bagged salads).
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    To some this may sound a little gross, but I uses a TBSP or 2 of homemade ranch dressing (make with fat free or low fat mayo) or low fat or fat free store bought dressing and then I add about 1/4 cup of low fat (or fat free ) cottage cheese. I have the flavor of the ranch dressing, a little texture and added flavor of the cottage cheese, "lots of dressing" (for a big salad) and not as many calories. Will be good to try for some but not for others. I also like to use green olives and some of the juice for my dressing. I am a bit strange (so everyone tells me) but that is what I like. Also try some Strawberry infused aged balsamic vinegar over your salad and add a touch of good quality olive oil to make a simple vinaigrette. Lots of flavor and small on calories.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I like earth fare organic raspberry vinegarette
    2 tsps
    Calories 30 Sodium 45 mg
    Total Fat 2 g
    Total Carbs 3 g
    Sugars 3 g
  • DG82
    DG82 Posts: 105
    Options
    I just recently bought Girard's Light Champagne Dressing and it's TO DIE FOR!!! Lol I had a co-worker in my cube while I was eating lunch and she smelled it and said it smelled so good that she went out and bought it this weekend too, hehe!! It's only 60 cals/2 tbsp. so not horrible (especially considering how horrible Ranch is in terms of being loaded w/cals). It tastes amazing and I wouldn't really classify it as a vinaigrette so much per se, but if if this is available @ a Giant Eagle (that's where I bought mine) or another national grocery chain I would definitely recommend it!! It's my newest love in the dressing world!! Woot! :-)
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    i love to made my own with pureed fruit (like pears or raspberries), salt, dash of sugar and oil. or litehouse certified organic is great! the blueberry pomegranate is 20 calories for 2 tablespoons. i believe they also have a blue cheese.

salsa works for a salad dressing. cottage cheese is another good one.
  • Whiskey5JDA
    Options
    i have tried Ken's Fat free ranch dressing. even the light ranch dressing is loaded with calories. you could also try to thin your dressing with some skim milk. that seems to work. what ever you use just keep a tight track of your calories. There are all kinds of Fat free dressings out there. just gotta keep your eyes peeled. My favorite. Kraft fat free zesty italian
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    I gotta find me some of this! Mmm... organic...

I suggest something organic, or making your own. Most brand name dressings are full of weird stuff (my scientific term for chemicals) and loaded with sugar.
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    A lot of bottled ranch dressing has MSG. Some people think it's harmless, but it caused a serious vitamin B deficiency in my dad (this is the simplified version) to the point that he had blackouts (he was a pilot so it was most inconvenient) and all sorts of other dire side effects so I stay the heck away from it - I mean look what it does to meat.

Some great ideas here. I'd love to hear about some more fave home made recipes.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I gotta find me some of this! Mmm... organic...

I suggest something organic, or making your own. Most brand name dressings are full of weird stuff (my scientific term for chemicals) and loaded with sugar.

Earth Fare is an organic grocery store in NC, SC, TN, AL and GA.