Disabled Diabetic 1 getting motivated.

Options
Hi I'm Davidea James and I have become disabled this year due to my diabetes. I have been a diabetic since I was very young and my sugar was never under control. Because of this I have had 2 amputations this year and have not been able to walk without a walker since. I also have severe eye problems and I am just waiting for the time when I cannot see at all. I have always been obese and wanted to lose weight but I never found anything to motivate me. This year my life changed in so many ways so I thought I would change my body size as well. I am aiming to lose 199 lbs in a year but right now I would settle for just a 29 lb goal. One step at a time. If anyone wants to chat with me I'm pretty much always available on here and on Facebook.

Replies

• philomen
    philomen Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    :smile: :smile: :smile: so sorry to hear about all your health challenges.what strength yoy show in going forward to better your life.
  • lwagnitz
    lwagnitz Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options
    You're so strong. I wish you the best of luck. You've gotten through so much; you can get through this, too.
  • metalloz
    metalloz Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know how hard it can be to control type 1 diabetes-I struggle myself. I have had it for 14.5 years and been lucky enough to not have any complications as of yet. Lately I have been really struggling to get my blood sugars under control as exercise can actually make things worse to begin with i.e. hypos.

Please feel free to add me and we could be a support system to stay motivated :)
  • robynrae_1
    robynrae_1 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I is great that you have decided to make a change for the better. Being diabetic is a hard thing to live with, and has huge health impacts, as you know.
    You can of doing this!! Take it one step at a time and try not to get too overwhelmed.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    You are soooo courageous! Wishing you all the best!! :flowerforyou:
  • SunnyAndrsn
    SunnyAndrsn Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your health problems too. Diabetics hold a special place in my heart because I'm married to a Type I.

Keep up the hard work, I know it's even harder with trying to control your sugars. You CAN do this!
  • Davideajames
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the words of kindness and encouragement. I am looking for friends so if anyone wants to add me I accept all friend request on here as well as facebook. You can find me under my first and last name. I am excited to get some of this weight off and keeping my sugars down. My biggest problem is the fact that right now I am in a nursing home so they control what I eat and my medicines and sugar when I was out I had no control over those things because I could not afford to eat right or take the meds much less my glucose monitor. I sure pray that this time things will be different since I found an exercise that I absolutely love and I can do it constantly without leaving my home. I bought bicycle peddles and I use them for my legs and arms. Plus resistance bands that I use to build muscle. They are all great and easy to use. I literally never liked riding a bike because of the seat now I don't have to worry about that. Greatest 25 bucks I've ever spent in my life.