Daily Calories less than BMR?

Options
Hi all!

I felt like I was doing really well at some point. I lost weight consistently, planned some of my meals and lost 10 pounds without driving myself nuts and feeling like I was on a diet. I really thought I understood this process because I was losing weight.

In the past couple of weeks I haven't been doing so good...I've been slacking on planning and haven't been fitting in exercise where I can, and I gained back 2 pounds.

I recalculated my calories based on being 10 pounds less than when I started and according to MFP, I should now consume 1360 with my deficit. Scoobys workshop calculators said the same, but also calc'd my BMR at 1455.

I always understood this process as you need to consume at least your BMR. What gives? Do I follow my calories according to my goal and consume less than my BMR now?

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    it would be worth giving the following a go:

Katch-McArdle BMR: Considered the most accurate formula for those who are relatively lean.

Use ONLY if you have a good estimate of your bodyfat %. <
    if you don't measure your body fat its as inaccurate as the rest.

calculate your body fat here
    http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf/

KM BMR
    http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/katch-mcardle-bmr-calculator/

your BMR is the number of cals your body needs in a coma, so BMR x 1.2 = TDEE (your maintenance for a non exercise day)

TDEE x .8 = safe deficit

adding the bodyfat % to the equation is important as it makes it more accurate.

side question:

do you / how do you log your exercise?

how did you calculate your deficit? (you have to slow down a bit on the weekly loss when you are getting closer to your goal, and keep exercising too)

I have consumed well below my BMR before, not on purpose but it did make me very tired, especially when my body needed to heal etc. I was waaay under, like 250-350 under. probably the scoobys one is a bit high. the katch macardle is the best formula, my nutritionist uses it.

if your BMR is estimated 1455 its more like 1400-1500 or possibly more. you would probably just start to feel tired if you were too far below your BMR.

try it and see, track your weight-loss and energy levels, and if its falling off and you look like amy winehouse, up your intake lol.

oh and eat back your exercise when your not totally full like me right now.

oh and a final note - I got down to 75kg, and have gone up and down by 1kg (2lb) from 76-75kg for quite a while. my super tight shorts fit better and I feel stronger and more muscular. maybe you have a bit more muscle, and your measurements are changing even though the scale is the same/a poop and a brunch higher.
  • leelee0623
    Options
    Thanks Nikilis! HA I think your right ...2 pounds is not that big a deal and I probably should eat a bran muffin :laugh:

I went ahead and did all my calcs and got the same as MFP...1390 cals per day. I used a 20% deficit.

I try to add my exercise, but sometimes its hard to figure out how to calc my calories lost. I typically do different dvds at home (cardio max, power yoga) or throughout the day I will do 50 each of crunches, squats, pushups...jumping jacks. I don't have a set exercise schedule and I really need to get myself on track with this. I also run around after my daughter all day, so I definitely burn something!
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    I try to add my exercise, but sometimes its hard to figure out how to calc my calories lost. I typically do different dvds at home (cardio max, power yoga) or throughout the day I will do 50 each of crunches, squats, pushups...jumping jacks. I don't have a set exercise schedule and I really need to get myself on track with this. I also run around after my daughter all day, so I definitely burn something!

sounds like you could do with a HRM or tracker for your exercise. I have a FitBit which I find useful ( www.fitbit.com ) to track day to day exertion + a whole bunch of other things.

mmmm... some of those exercises would be tough to track, I do push ups and I do track them but they dont have a value because they are strength exercise. pushups are like 1 cal each. you could probably find values for them on the net tho. if you do 50 of each that could add up to a good 150-200+ :)
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    What's your deficit? If your goal is correct, and you only have 12 more lbs left to lose, My guess is your deficit is too high for your weight and goals. Really, with only 12lbs to lose, you should be having a max deficit of 250 cals, with your eye on the prize of moving towards maintenance. If your deficit is too high, you will fall in to the trap of getting to maintenance, and then not being able to maintain it. You should be tapering down your deficit right now and tapering slowly. If your current deficit is set to 2lbs/wk (1,000 cals) cut it to 1lb/wk (500 cal deficit) and stay there for a couple weeks. If it's already at 500, cut to 250.

Just remember, losing weight is actually the easy part- maintaining the weight loss is hard. Set yourself up for success by making the right preparation choices today.
  • leelee0623
    Options
    So if my cals to maintain are 1700 and MFP calc’d 1360, this calorie deficit may be too high?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you have less than 20 pounds to lose, so you should definitely be eating above your BMR. My advice is to eat 300 calories under your TDEE for six weeks, then see where you are from there. You will have trouble losing weight with such a high calorie deficit when you are this close to your goal weight. Only truly obese people can get away with a huge deficit.
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    So if my cals to maintain are 1700 and MFP calc’d 1360, this calorie deficit may be too high?

What is your height, weight, age, and activity level? something sounds off...
  • leelee0623
    Options
    height is 5 4’, weight is 152, age 33 and i put lightly active. i try to exercise some during the day and sometimes i can do a video for an hour...i dont have a set exercise schedule.
  • joanne70
    joanne70 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • emzack
    emzack Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Yes, at some point MFP will recommend a calorie deficit below your BMR. It happens when you are close to your goal weight. Personally I don't lose weight when I eat net calories below BMR. I would recommend making your goal less than 1 pound a week so that your net calorie goal does not dip below BMR. Also... check out this post. I follow this plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Yes, at some point MFP will recommend a calorie deficit below your BMR. It happens when you are close to your goal weight. Personally I don't lose weight when I eat net calories below BMR. I would recommend making your goal less than 1 pound a week so that your net calorie goal does not dip below BMR. Also... check out this post. I follow this plan.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

I agree with the above. If I was you, looking at the numbers, I would probably go with something around 1500 calories, 1450 being the lowest I would ever intentionally go. I would also suggest trying to be a little more active, even if it means just a little more walking throughout the day.
  • leelee0623
    Options
    According to Fat 2 Fit Radio calcs, my BMR is 1460 and TDEE is 2010. If I take a my TDEE of 2010 and reduce it by 20%, I get 1608. Where the heck did MFP get 1360 then?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    According to Fat 2 Fit Radio calcs, my BMR is 1460 and TDEE is 2010. If I take a my TDEE of 2010 and reduce it by 20%, I get 1608. Where the heck did MFP get 1360 then?

MFP doesn't use a %age reduction, the formula just is a straight subtraction of calories based on how much you want to lose - so they calculate your TDEE and then subtract 500 calories for 1lb/wk, 1000 cals for 2lbs/wk, 250 for 0.5 lb/wk, etc. Also, MFP expects you to add exercise calories to your base, so the activity formula to calculate TDEE is slightly different from other sites.