BMR, TDEE & Calories to consume?

Options
Hey everyone, I'm so sorry because I know that there have been about a million posts on this topic, but I just need to confirm that I am doing it right!

My BMR is calculated to be 1314, and I recently purchased a FitBit which shows a value of 1900 on an average day (so I assume this is my TDEE). So if I eat my BMR calories of approximately 1350 and burn approximately 1900 calories a day via living and walking, I should have a net calorie burn of 500ish calories per day, and lose approximately 1 pound a week. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• TJbubbles23
    TJbubbles23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning, so I hope I explain this ok...

Use this link to calculate your BMR and TDEE http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx. It's basic, but I found it the least complicated.

You can never eat less than your BMR (this is how much your body needs just to function your organs etc.)

If you are aiming to lose weight you should take your TDEE minus 20% (more is not recommended). As your TDEE takes into account your exercise, you then don't do anything with those calories except track them for your own knowledge. That means in MFP don't look at the net calories after you add your exercise, just look at your food calories. Don't cheat yourself on the exercise though, you should do what you say you will when you complete the TDEE.

To lose 1lb you need a 3500 calorie deficit, so your TDEE minus 500/day (as long as this doesn't take you below your BMR or TDEE minus 20%).

I don't have a fit bit so don't know how it works - sorry!

Hope this helps!
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone, I'm so sorry because I know that there have been about a million posts on this topic, but I just need to confirm that I am doing it right!

My BMR is calculated to be 1314, and I recently purchased a FitBit which shows a value of 1900 on an average day (so I assume this is my TDEE). So if I eat my BMR calories of approximately 1350 and burn approximately 1900 calories a day via living and walking, I should have a net calorie burn of 500ish calories per day, and lose approximately 1 pound a week. Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks so much!

Yes, that is correct.
  • RainbowBrightww23
    RainbowBrightww23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks you two!