How do you measure portions?

Options
Do you use a tool? cups? Your hand? Special plates?

I can't use my eyes anymore....its not working.

Replies

• kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've got one of those cheap-o food scales that measures out ounces, plus measuring spoons and a 1/4, 1/3, 1/2, and 1 cup set. A couple of times a week, I'll eyeball my portion, then measure it to see how close I was. I'm getting pretty good! Hopefully I won't be chained to measuring everything forever.

If my weight loss stalls out at some point, I'll probably get one of those electronic digital scales that will measure out grams. So far - no need.
  • Cyngen
    Cyngen Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Food scale, measuring spoons, measuring cups when at home. If i go out to eat I eyeball it somewhat. For instance, I order a 6 ounce filet and I wish to have 4 ounces only, I will sort of calculate the portion based upon the whole, and don't take into account any shrinkage due to cooking.
  • JlSimon22
    JlSimon22 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I use measuring cups and an electronic food scale for everything. It really does help. Sometimes I'm surprised by how much I can have for the serving size and it helps you learn to better gauge when you are eating out. It definitely helps me.
  • shutterbug282
    shutterbug282 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I've got food scales as well as cups. (:
  • joeysox
    joeysox Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    scales are the most accurate and if eating out just stop when full or asked for a smaller portion x
  • kaypat09
    kaypat09 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Food scale and measuring cups! Things like tablespoons I have always eyeballed (and obviously that hasn't hindered my weightloss).
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Digital kitchen scales. I weigh everything, down to the last gram. I wouldn't trust my eyes for a second because unfortunately they're guided by my stomach!

When it comes to something like pasta or casserole, I've already plugged the recipe into MFP so I know the calories I'm playing with, so I just rely on my eyes. I only cook for me and my husband so it's usually either half or a quarter of what's in the pot. I just make sure he always gets the bigger bowl!
  • margojr4
    margojr4 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I use a scale, cups etc. Most of our bowls, glasses and plates I've pre measured so I know to use the 8oz glass for milk, or the blue bowl for chips or the coffee mug for frozen yogurt.

Have you seen these?? http://www.slimware.com/

Super cool tableware that helps portion control and are very decorative! Asking Santa for a few items this year ;)
  • MelBristol
    Options
    Kitchen scales with digital display. You can weigh anything on them from about 3grams to 1.5kg.

I must tell you I was really shocked realizing how much peanut butter and honey I'd put on my toasts. By using the scales, put plate and toast on the scale, press button so it's at zero, put spread on to weigh it and then spread it, I've halved the amount.
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Measuring cups but I honestly don't weigh anything, I don't even own a food scale. I just eyeball it and it seems to be working just fine
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    Food cup measurements, measuring spoons and a scale that does both grams and ounces. That seems to work the best.

Monica
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Scales, I weigh EVERYTHING!
  • TravelDog14
    TravelDog14 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I use a digital kitchen scale that zeros out so I can easily add food to my dinner plate and zero it out between adding each item I'm putting on the plate.

When making my lunches on work days I weigh out the portions the night before and pack it then.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Food scale and measuring cups.
  • ohheyy125
    ohheyy125 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I use a scale, cups etc. Most of our bowls, glasses and plates I've pre measured so I know to use the 8oz glass for milk, or the blue bowl for chips or the coffee mug for frozen yogurt.

Have you seen these?? http://www.slimware.com/

Super cool tableware that helps portion control and are very decorative! Asking Santa for a few items this year ;)

THAT'S COOL! thanks!
  • RobynBourgeois
    Options
    Scales, I weigh EVERYTHING!

Exactly! Hubby has even started helping me weigh food!
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I have a $5 food scale from Target. It works just fine! I use it for anything that isn't a liquid, in which case I use cups or spoons.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I use a digital kitchen scale that zeros out so I can easily add food to my dinner plate and zero it out between adding each item I'm putting on the plate.

When making my lunches on work days I weigh out the portions the night before and pack it then.
    This plus measuring cups/spoons. I've gotten better at eyeballing, but still refining technique. I've found that I've been overestimating small measurements (e.g. 2 tbsp of ketchup is more than I thought), and underestimating larger measurements (8 oz of tilapia is way more than I was actually eating!)
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I weigh my proteins, use a tablespoon to measure out my dressing/oils, and eyeball my veggies.
  • two_octopodes
    two_octopodes Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm another weigher. I use a food scale (grams and ounces), measuring spoons, and measuring cups. I can be a pretty good eye-baller when I'm being honest with myself, but I find it waaaayyy too hard to give into temptation when I do things that way. Much easier to just keep using my tools and only resort to guessing when food prep is out of my control (like when eating out or if someone else does the cooking).