Can exercise make you gain weight?

Options
I've noticed that when I work out really really hard I gain a pound. What?!? Yesterday I did 90 minutes of crossfit and hiked for an hour (carrying a dog for half the hike), and burned 1300 calories. I ate healthy food, but a lot of it, but I was still 300 calories under my goal. I gained a lb. I did eat a large portion of the calories right before going to bed. This has happened before, when I worked out for 1.5 to 2 hours, doing high intensity cardio and lifting weights.

When I don't work out hard and don't eat much, I lose weight.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Huiminlovesfood
    Options
    I have heard that it is due to your body retaining water. That happens to me too. I would like to hear more opinions from the others!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Short answer, yes, but it isn't fat. Longer answer http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/200544-why-do-you-sometimes-gain-weight-when-starting-a-new-exercis

Solution, stop weighing yourself every day if you are going to be bothered by 1-3 pound weight gains that have nothing to do with putting on fat.
  • edennew
    edennew Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I have heard the same and wonder if that hasn't been happening to me that last couple of days. I gained 2.4 for no reason but have been hitting the weights hard so maybe gaining muscle? I have heard that if you're working muscle, the body holds water.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,080 Member
    Options
    Yes, lean mass can be gained whilst losing inches (body fat)

p.s. if you weigh every day then weight fluctuates...for example I can be 6 pounds heavier over the day (morning compared to afternoon) if I consume more carbs than usual...even a large number 2 can be heavy...so can drinking lots of water make weight fluctuate...
  • hestia1986
    Options
    The food also weighs just being there in your system :) i wouldn't call it gaining weight because, if you wait a bit you are bound to lose it again after it's done being digested.
  • ronwmiller
    Options
    I've noticed that when I work out really really hard I gain a pound. What?!? Yesterday I did 90 minutes of crossfit and hiked for an hour (carrying a dog for half the hike), and burned 1300 calories. I ate healthy food, but a lot of it, but I was still 300 calories under my goal. I gained a lb. I did eat a large portion of the calories right before going to bed. This has happened before, when I worked out for 1.5 to 2 hours, doing high intensity cardio and lifting weights.

Any suggestions?

It's possible to gain weight while lifting weights if you're building muscle. While it's true that 1 pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat, muscle is also more dense. Knowing your BMI accurately will help you determine if you're gaining weight due to muscle or fat. You also don't say when you weigh yourself. Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is recommended because it's often your lowest weight of the day. Positive psychological motivation. Try to think long term rather in terms of day or two. You didn't gain this weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

It's possible to gain weight while lifting weights if you're building muscle. While it's true that 1 pound of muscle weights the same as a pound of fat, muscle is also more dense. Knowing your BMI accurately will help you determine if you're gaining weight due to muscle or fat. You also don't say when you weigh yourself. Weighing yourself first thing in the morning is recommended because it's often your lowest weight of the day. Positive psychological motivation. Try to think long term rather in terms of day or two. You didn't gain this weight overnight and you won't lose it overnight.

The likelihood of gaining a pound of muscle while in a calorie deficit faster than losing fat is pretty much nil. Putting muscle on is very difficult for men, and doubly so for women due mainly to their much lower testosterone levels. Weight gain that soon after a hard workout is water, pure and simple. Once the microdamage to the muscle is healed, the water will be released and weight will come down.