Holiday Survial Tips---Got any?

Options
The first social event of the holiday season for me is tonight. I'm wearing my favorite new outfit to remind myself to not eat too much :). What are some of your favorite tricks to remind you to stay on track during the holidays?

Replies

• ronwmiller
    Options
    The first social event of the holiday season for me is tonight. I'm wearing my favorite new outfit to remind myself to not eat too much :). What are some of your favorite tricks to remind you to stay on track during the holidays?

The holidays are always a challenge. I found a blog that had some good tips. It's what I'm going to do this year.

http://www.urgravity.com/Blogs/
  • SafioraLinnea
    SafioraLinnea Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    My approach to Thanksgiving went like this (as a Canadian, Thanksgiving was last month)

Cook the meal, but make other people taste test/check for done-ness of the food. You'd be surprised how many calories are consumed in the preparation of the food while taste testing!

Serve the meal myself -- if I'm actively moving around, getting people things, and doing the dishes/dishwasher, I'm not eating as much.

Ensure there is plenty of great veggies available, including a green salad. I eat a full plate of green salad first, then I go and clean a bit, and then come back for the more calorie dense typical holiday food. I fill up on the veggies first!

Serve my food onto a smaller plate, and use regular large spoon to serve -- tricks my brain into thinking I've got more food when I don't.

I personally skip dessert or just take a bite from someone else's pie. I'm not a big dessert person, but I used to sit and eat it with family because that is just what was expected that I do. My family is pretty respectful so I don't have to worry about them being judgmental. Usually they're pretty happy to eat their dessert while I clean up after the meal. Its nice because I don't have to watch them eat it, and the cleaning up gets done. Win-win situation.
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Check this out!

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/SiteData/docs/DietHolida/887898c986392468/Diet Holiday
    %202012%20Newsletter.pdf

I had to put a line break in there because it wasn't showing the whole url. So just make sure you take the space out right after the word "holiday" when you paste it into your browser.
  • booboo68
    booboo68 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking so I know exactly what's on the menu and I pre-logged earlier today and figured up exactly how much of what I could have and still have a dessert. Moderation was the key to my being able to log. This allows me time to know that I can't go crazy eating all day! Plus while the turkey is baking, I plan to go for a run but NOT eat back my calories. I'm determined to come out ahead of the game!

If it helps any. I logged what I WANTED versus WHAT I COULD FEEL GOOD ABOUT EATING and let me just say doing it that way first is a real eye opener. Like almost 4000 calories worth of eye opening!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    Load up your plate with veggies and make sure to have a salad and plenty of water before the rest of the food. Also, log log log! You can always make up for the party later-just make sure to do it at some point :)
  • skinnyforhi
    skinnyforhi Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    On the main holiday dinners-Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, and Christmas-I give myself permission to indulge but not eat until I'm stuffed or uncomfortable. Every other event I plan to not show up hungry (I don't save or bank calories, it just doesn't work for me personally) and have a nibble here and there and maybe a glass of wine. It doesn't sound fun but I would rather keep making progress and just enjoy the holidays on the actual days that they fall on.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    I'm going to try to eat sensibly...but i won't deny myself anything that looks good, that I only eat once or twice a year. If I go up a pound or two, who cares? i'll get them next week. A few days of great dinners won't undo a year's worth of work. The only leftovers I will take, however, are turkey...no rolls, cakes, pies, etc.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I'm cooking so I know exactly what's on the menu and I pre-logged earlier today and figured up exactly how much of what I could have and still have a dessert. Moderation was the key to my being able to log. This allows me time to know that I can't go crazy eating all day! Plus while the turkey is baking, I plan to go for a run but NOT eat back my calories. I'm determined to come out ahead of the game!

If it helps any. I logged what I WANTED versus WHAT I COULD FEEL GOOD ABOUT EATING and let me just say doing it that way first is a real eye opener. Like almost 4000 calories worth of eye opening!

What a great idea.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Eat something with protein and fiber about 30-45 minutes before you leave.
    Don't eat any portion size larger than your fist.
    Fill your plate with lots of colors mainly from fruits & veggies.
    Wait 20 minutes before going for 2nds.
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Don't drink your cals.

Have a fun meal rather than a fun day (or days or weeks).

Don't skip the exercise because it's a holiday. You'll thank yourself later.

:flowerforyou:
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    I'm going to use the same trick I've been using every time I'm tempted. Whenever I record a new low weight, I think about it all the time and let that be my inspiration. Right now, 30 pounds lost! I just keep that in the back of my mind and let it inspire me to do what I need to do every day.

As for the holiday dinners coming up, I'm going to do like I've done with the occasional dinners out (I don't go out to eat that often). I will indulge a little but not on stuff I don't REALLY love. And I will do my best to log everything after. One day like that here and there hasn't slowed my progress in any appreciable sense and I believe the holidays won't either.

I may bank some calories too, that has worked for me in the past.
  • thingeringer
    thingeringer Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Check this out!

http://www.beckdietsolution.com/SiteData/docs/DietHolida/887898c986392468/Diet Holiday
    %202012%20Newsletter.pdf

I had to put a line break in there because it wasn't showing the whole url. So just make sure you take the space out right after the word "holiday" when you paste it into your browser.

^ great link. Thank you
  • ErinGBragh
    ErinGBragh Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    You're welcome :smile:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    This one is easy!

1) live your days during November, December and January like you would any other day of the year.
    2) On Thanksgiving eat as much as you want (youve been dieting for a while now and youll probably lose a pound the next day due to leptin etc...)
    3) In January get to the gym early because of all the new people who are joining for a few weeks. Dont worry...they probably wont be in your way for too long.