BMR? Help please!

Options
I NEED ADVICE!
Someone recommended a website to me (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/) to find out my BMR and all. It came out to 1468.0.
SO. I scrolled down to go to a different part of the website (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/harris-benedict-equation/) to figure out how many calories I should be consuming. It came out to 2275 calories. Then, if you read what it says above all the calculations on the website, it says to lose weight subtract 500 calories from 2275. Which comes out to 1775 calories.

So, I usually consume around 1000 calories a day.. 775 more calories is a lot. Should I eat that much? Will I gain all the weight I've lost back?

PLEASE HELP

Replies

• WinnerVictorious
    WinnerVictorious Posts: 4,735 Member
    Options
    i don't think you used the Harris Benedict equation correctly.

unless your JOB requires you to be on your feet moving around for 40+ hours every week, use the sedentary multiplier of 1.2x and then treat your specific cardio exercises as "negative calories".

for example, in your case...

1468 x 1.2 = 1761

on days where you don't do your cardio exercise, eat 1761 - 500 = 1261 calories
    on days where you do your cardio exercise, add that to 1761 and then subtract 500 to find your calorie goal for that day

in other words, if you do 400 calories worth of cardio today, then 1761 + 400 - 500 = 1661 is your calorie goal today

this is actually what the MFP calculations do automatically when you log your food and exercise, which is why people using the MFP tools and not outside websites say that you should eat back those exercise calories.
  • CJSCHUYLER
    CJSCHUYLER Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Agree with the above post for the BMR. Just use the calculator for BodyFat. MFP's calculator for BMR is pretty accurate and easy to follow system.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You won't put any weight back on,don't worry!

Eat more protein, you can for example, have salmon. It has more calories than other kinds of fish and good fats that won't make you fatter.
    You should never eat less than your BMR.

I understand where you are though,because i find it hard to eat over 1500 calories without adding any fats other than olive oil.

But really, you should never eat under your BMR. If you work out you have to eat even more calories. If you don't you won't starve to death but your body will ask for more fuel sooner or later (if you don't feel hunger it will make you notice by making you feel more tired, sleepy and with less endurance).

Start eating the correct bmr calories. At more yoghurt,add some low fat cheese to your meals, add a bit more oil on your salad. Add a day or two per week to eat that fatty food you loved.

Also,i have to say that by judging by your pic you don't look like you have to lose fat. You might as well eat normal food (stay away from the junk) and start lifting weights to tone up. Weight training will make you lose lots of the fat you don't seem to see dissapearing from your body, and will help you have more definition and look leaner.
  • divacat80
    divacat80 Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above posters! I didn't realise you weren't using the equations right. :)