Not your traditional "success story"...

Options
Just thought I’d post this, and if it helps even 1 person to stick with it, then it’s worth it.

I joined MFP one year ago today. I’ve never been “overweight” and always been athletic and concerned with eating well. In the last 2 or 3 years I slowly put on about 10 pounds. I decided to join MFP mainly because I wanted to look my best on a cruise that we had scheduled for April 25th of last year. When I joined, I was 153 pounds.

Today, one year later, I’m 154. Have I failed? Nope. Have I wasted a year? Absolutely not. Between March and August I lost 13 pounds- I weighed 140 and was only 5 pounds from my goal weight. In June, I decided out of the blue to start Couch to 5k. In August, I ran my first 5k- although it sounds silly, it was one of the happiest days of my life.

In September, I started having stomach problems. I didn’t think much of it, but noticed that there were an increasing number of days where I was hungry to the point where NOTHING would satisfy me and I would essentially pig out and feel out of control the entire time- something I had never, ever done before. After several doctor’s appointments, tests, procedures, and blood tests taking a total of 5 months, I found out just last month that I am gluten-intolerant. My stomach problems were a result of my body being unable to process or handle gluten.

On January 1st, I weighed in at 160. 7 pounds heavier than I was when I started MFP last march.

Today, I can run 5 miles without stopping, I have a Quarter Marathon scheduled for next month, I have friends that I’ve made on MFP that are the most supportive group of people I’ve ever “met”, I have learned SO much about nutrition and what “being healthy” means, and I have not quit. Today, I weigh about 154. For the last month or so, I have stepped up the intensity of my workouts big time- we’re going on the same cruise this year on the same day and I have the same motivation. However, the scale has not budged in over a month. Frustrating? Yes- beyond belief. Will I give up? Hell no.

I have 21 pounds to go (again!) until I reach my goal weight. And I can confidentially say that I WILL reach my goal weight. The gluten issue is a HUGE learning process, and although it’s overwhelming at times, I’m getting there and I know that I am healthier and healthier by the day. I refuse to let it stop me.

Am I one of MFP's “success stories”? Not in the traditional sense, and some might not think so at all. But, if I haven’t quit- not even for a day- an entire year later and slightly heavier than I was a whole year ago, then anyone can (and should) stick it out.

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    That is awesome!! Stories like this keep me coming back and not giving up! Way to go :drinker:
  • kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful! Way to go!!!!
  • aerome
    aerome Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    That sucks that you have the gluten intolerance, but at least you know about it! You should be very proud that you're sticking with it!

Props to you!:drinker:
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    That's wonderful, and I'm glad you found the issue hopefully rather quickly! More and more people are becoming gluten intollerant. At the restaurant I work at we make quite a few items that are gluten free! Congrats on the healthy lifestyle and all of your many accomplishments!!!
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    I'm glad u wrote this, I think u were successful in trying to keep a healthy lifestyle and becoming more active. a lot of ppl want the pounds to shed quickly and easily and when they see that doesn't happen, they give up.

Keep it up, I'm sure when u get a hang of what changes u need to make with ur new condition this will become much easier.

Keep up the great work.
  • Lisa0711
    Lisa0711 Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Sometimes people can get caught up in wanting to reach thier goals and wating to reach them as soon as possible, and feel bad when they don't. I know I've been setting goals and not reaching them "on time" for YEARS (I'm only 21... ) But in the past I would get discouraged and quit, but not this time, not in the past 2 years I've seriously been on this journey. The end result has everything to do with what you learn along the way, and it seems like you've been through a lot, but your positive attitude will carry you through it. Congratulations on what you have accomplished and learned, and especially for your outlook on this journey!

Good luck reaching your goals, you'll get there!
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,618 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for posting this! Your attitude is my goal - to be fit and healthy by exercising and eating right. The weight loss will (sometimes frustratingly slowly!) come eventually.
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the support and well wishes. As I said, my goal is simply to motivate other to keep fightin' the good fight...
  • Happyoceangirl
    Happyoceangirl Posts: 1,993 Member
    Options
    Inspiring and encouraging - and doing exactly what you intended this post to do. Many thanks!
  • CrazyAdventures
    CrazyAdventures Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Wonderfully stated. Congratulations! It isn't all about weight, it's about fitness, and you've proven that! I bet you some of it is muscle, too. I know I'm more muscular than I was before babies, so I know the scale won't ever match, and I'm okay with that, so long as I'm healthy and fit.

I would love to know more about your gluten issues. My son is being tested as we speak.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    Wonderfully stated. Congratulations! It isn't all about weight, it's about fitness, and you've proven that! I bet you some of it is muscle, too. I know I'm more muscular than I was before babies, so I know the scale won't ever match, and I'm okay with that, so long as I'm healthy and fit.

I would love to know more about your gluten issues. My son is being tested as we speak.

Feel free to send me a message if you have questions :flowerforyou: I'll do my best to answer them!
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I think your pretty awesome . I remember when you completed the c25k, I know what an awesome feeling it is too! you are healthier than ever before, even if the scale doesnt say what you want it too! :flowerforyou: You will get there!
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    I think your pretty awesome . I remember when you completed the c25k, I know what an awesome feeling it is too! you are healthier than ever before, even if the scale doesnt say what you want it too! :flowerforyou: You will get there!

Thank you so much :flowerforyou:
  • tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Kelynn, you rock! We get so hung up on the scale and what is says, and forget that our bodies are our vehicle in life. Your vehicle may not be as light as you would like at this moment, but it has gotten an amazing tune up over the past year, which means that it will last you a lifetime, which is the important thing. You have overcome a lot of hurdles, and with a winning attitude! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!