Plain Water versus Flavored Water (i.e., Crystal Light)

Options
I am not a fan of plain water so I add the five-calorie Crystal Light packets to my water.

Question: Since I am not drinking "clean" water (the Crystal Light is loaded with aspartame and other additives), should I count the Crystal Light water as my water consumed, or should I count it separately and only count plain water as my water consumed?

Does it make a difference?

Thanks, in advance, for your input and advice. :smile:

Replies

• FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make any difference. It's water. If the drink has calories, log those as well.
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    Options
    You can count the crystal light water as water consumed. The basic idea is to consume enough fluids to stay hydrated, so adding something to water is fine. I add flavored stevia drops -- yummy!
  • chinakat72
    chinakat72 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Setting aside the debate over additives like Aspartame, Splenda etc, water doesn't necessarily have to be "clean" to count. What you are counting is the water content, regardless of what else is in it. Technically, your daily water intake can come from soda, milk, Kool-Aid, juice, etc. It can also come from fruits and veggies. The trick is getting enough water content in the healthiest way possible. Even though it's technically possible to get most or all your water from the food you eat, drinking plain water is a good way to ensure you have enough fluid, and it can also help curb your appetite. I personally feel that if you won't drink plain water, a little flavoring is better than not drinking water at all. But, there are lots of opinions out there and I'm sure you'll hear a lot of different ones in this post!!
  • Pixie8504
    Pixie8504 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have often wondered the same thing. Thanks for posting the info
  • kittenbobitten
    kittenbobitten Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I would count it as water too. I am addicted to soda and can't really drink plain water without feeling like it is SO boring! So I do crystal light full flavor in a bottled water. Then when I am halfway done I refill it with water to dilute it some so I can get used to the more watery taste. Hopefully one day I can drink water plain!! LOL!
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Doesn't make any difference. It's water. If the drink has calories, log those as well.

Thanks for the advice on logging the calories. I just re-examined the packets, and it's five calories for only 1/2 packet and I've been using the whole packet in my water. I've been drinking 8-10 packets' worth of water a day for an extra calorie intake of 80-100 calories. Yikes!
  • ladybugcoupons
    Options
    I am not a fan of water either, but I recently tried "SmartWater", it's distilled. I actually like it. No metallic taste, very smooth.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

Thanks for the advice on logging the calories. I just re-examined the packets, and it's five calories for only 1/2 packet and I've been using the whole packet in my water. I've been drinking 8-10 packets' worth of water a day for an extra calorie intake of 80-100 calories. Yikes!

Whoopsie! Well now you know. You might want to look into the liquid flavorings - like Mio or Dasani or whatever that are zero calories. (although they likely have hidden calories too.) Or just log in those 80 calories and work around them....
  • MaggieSporleder
    MaggieSporleder Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of plain water so I add the five-calorie Crystal Light packets to my water.

Question: Since I am not drinking "clean" water (the Crystal Light is loaded with aspartame and other additives), should I count the Crystal Light water as my water consumed, or should I count it separately and only count plain water as my water consumed?

Does it make a difference?

Thanks, in advance, for your input and advice. :smile:

I always counted it as water. But left me tell you after cutting out the chemical sweeteners I feel SOOO much better. :)
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Just log the water and add the packet of crystal light as a snack or something :)
  • julimonster
    julimonster Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    You can count the crystal light water as water consumed. The basic idea is to consume enough fluids to stay hydrated, so adding something to water is fine. I add flavored stevia drops -- yummy!

I just started using Mio, it's like kool aid for grownups:drinker:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

^^this
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I'm the same way.

My rule of thumb is if it is caffeinated don't count it because caffeine is a diuretic that if you don't have other forms of water can cause water retention, the point of drinking water is to help reduce the water you are retaining. also watch out if it contains Sodium because that can cause water retention too. Bottom line if you notice the scale not moving down and there isn't a reason for it up your water intake and see if that helps.

I would recommend trying Mio water flavorings
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Just log the water and add the packet of crystal light as a snack or something :)

exactly, I use the Hawaiian punch packets, they are awesome and log it under snacks.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    My rule of thumb is if it is caffeinated don't count it because caffeine is a diuretic that if you don't have other forms of water can cause water retention

This is actually a common myth. According to the Institute of Medicine, "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages." But, as you said, it is important to check for sodium, not so much for in sodas, but in soups and whatnot.

So basically, water is water, whether it's in coffee, soup, or an orange. There's so many ways to get it in that the 8 cups a day rule doesn't hold up. If you feel hydrated and your urine is light in color, you're good to go. No need to "force-feed" yourself water.
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    This is actually a common myth. According to the Institute of Medicine, "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages." But, as you said, it is important to check for sodium, not so much for in sodas, but in soups and whatnot.

So basically, water is water, whether it's in coffee, soup, or an orange. There's so many ways to get it in that the 8 cups a day rule doesn't hold up. If you feel hydrated and your urine is light in color, you're good to go. No need to "force-feed" yourself water.

Very interesting, Thanks for this. I myself still won't could them, but this may put my mind at ease for those days I can't make it to my 8 glasses.

Also FYI some club Soda's do have sodium in them not much but some (I like putting Mio in them and have a Soda like drink)
  • rozvanmeter
    Options
    So, does my daily vodka tonic count as water, as well as its calories????
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    @zentha-Yes, and luckily it takes about 11 12 oz sodas to dehydrate you! I remember my entire food properties class was surprised when we learned that, as well as the fact that caffeine isn't dehydrating. It's interesting how some things become so pervasive. Even these days, I still sometimes feel like my coffee is making me dehydrated, even though I know that's impossible :)
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I would say if it has calories in it than it would be a snack. It is good that you are getting the hydration but I would say if it is 0 calories than count it as water and if not count it as a snack. Just my opinion.
  • annams76
    annams76 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Also, water that has flouride in it actually taste better than regualr water, well unless you live in like Alaska where the tap water is amazing.