Stylish Inexpensive Clothes For Guys

Options
neverstray
neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
I have always had an appreciation for guys that can be fashionable in their clothing, but still remain aloof. I really love the look, but I never had the energy for it. Lately, however, I have been working very hard at noticing what kinds of clothes look good on me. Normally, I just buy what I like, but I have never paid attention to form and fit at all. I just wear what ever. I am now choosing clothes more carefully and attempting to dress more fashionably.

As I delve more into this world, I find that it is a little more expensive because I want more things. So, with that being said, where do guys shop where they find nice fashionable clothing, but also reasonably priced?

I'm talking about casual clothing, like nice jeans, long sleeve collared shirts, nice sweaters. Not T-shirts. That kind of thing. Casual dinner party clothes.

Right now, I'm looking at Target and Old Navy. But, it's hit or miss there. We have those discount places like Ross, but that's like shopping at Wal Mart. The experience is a huge turn-off.

My taste is more Lucky, A&F, True Religion, or Desiel. But, I don't have that kind of budget.

Replies

• Topsking2010
    Topsking2010 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Men's clothing is a lot cheaper than women. That being said no way would buy men's clothes from Walmart or Target.

The key is finding quality clothing on sale.

K& G

Macys

Van Heusen

Also checkout the outlets.

Good luck
  • PJ_73
    PJ_73 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're from the other side of the pond because I don't know some of those stores or brands!

I would agree with the gentleman above if you really like certain labels and find things on sale, or last season's fashions that are in discount stores.

Do you guys have TK Maxx? Known for their big labels and small prices!
  • neverstray
    Options
    Thanks. So, just look for sales at malls and outlets?

Ugh! I hate malls. Lol. I guess that's why I have trouble with this. I may go the online route. I've had mostly good luck that way.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Assuming you're from the other side of the pond because I don't know some of those stores or brands!

I would agree with the gentleman above if you really like certain labels and find things on sale, or last season's fashions that are in discount stores.

Do you guys have TK Maxx? Known for their big labels and small prices!

We do, it's call TJ Maxx over here.

Thanks.
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I was going to suggest Target and Kohl's but like you stated, it's hit and miss there. (Even with women's clothing)

How about H&M or Banana Republic or Express? Also....not sure as far as men's clothing but JC Penney is super affordable and I always find something I like when I shop there.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I was going to suggest Target and Kohl's but like you stated, it's hit and miss there. (Even with women's clothing)

How about H&M or Banana Republic or Express? Also....not sure as far as men's clothing but JC Penney is super affordable and I always find something I like when I shop there.

Great suggestions.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I've done a lot on ebay lately. For months I threw stuff in the shopping cart, and in the past few weeks I actually purchased things.

Most were $15-$20 and come from Hong Kong, China, or Korea. The shipping is usually free, which makes the price even more appealing.

The quality is always decent, and since it's less then half the price you'd pay for something similar here, I don't feel too bad about buying a few things.

I've gotten a lot of fashionable fall/winter jackets and hoodies for myself. Fleece hoodies/jackets, dress shirts, even plain colored winter hats for <$5.

Only downside is they're physically smaller people...so sometimes their small-xxl ranges can be anything from like 25"-38" in the waist or chest, so things don't even come close to fitting me.

I'm about a 36" waist and 44" chest, so would venture to guess half the nice products I find come large enough for me.

Also, the styles are a lot nicer then I'd find around where I live (small town), and so unique that nobody will ever have the same thing.

If you're familiar with ebay at all, I highly recommend it. I've bought all my christmas presents and clothing there this year. About 20 things. Just learn to filter out auctions vs. buy it now, and view by lowest price.

Some of the nicest articles of clothing I own have come from ebay. Most notable were a silver/grey pair of slim-fit sharkskin pants from a suit set ($150ish for the full suit like 6 years ago). I always get compliments from women when I wear them.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I've done a lot on ebay lately. For months I threw stuff in the shopping cart, and in the past few weeks I actually purchased things.

Most were $15-$20 and come from Hong Kong, China, or Korea. The shipping is usually free, which makes the price even more appealing.

The quality is always decent, and since it's less then half the price you'd pay for something similar here, I don't feel too bad about buying a few things.

I've gotten a lot of fashionable fall/winter jackets and hoodies for myself. Fleece hoodies/jackets, dress shirts, even plain colored winter hats for <$5.

Only downside is they're physically smaller people...so sometimes their small-xxl ranges can be anything from like 25"-38" in the waist or chest, so things don't even come close to fitting me.

I'm about a 36" waist and 44" chest, so would venture to guess half the nice products I find come large enough for me.

Also, the styles are a lot nicer then I'd find around where I live (small town), and so unique that nobody will ever have the same thing.

If you're familiar with ebay at all, I highly recommend it. I've bought all my christmas presents and clothing there this year. About 20 things. Just learn to filter out auctions vs. buy it now, and view by lowest price.

Some of the nicest articles of clothing I own have come from ebay. Most notable were a silver/grey pair of slim-fit sharkskin pants from a suit set ($150ish for the full suit like 6 years ago). I always get compliments from women when I wear them.

I will definitely try eBay. I buy a lot of music gear there, so I am very familiar with it. My ex buys her jeans from eBay all the time.
  • Tricep_A_Tops
    Options
    Do you have a Gabrial Brothers store in your area? You can get $400.00 worth of expensive name brand designers for $ 100.00
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Oh, just remembered I visited my brother for his wedding in Toronto.

We got $50 coupons as part of the wedding party for Moores. The store also regularly has a 50% off, or 'buy one get one' free deal.

I purchased 2 pairs of shorts, 2 jeans, 2 dress shirts, 2 sunglasses, 2 belts and I forget whatever else, and I wanna say it came to well under $200 if I recall correctly.

If you know anything about hemming, a lot of their longer pants go from like $100 or more to $20 because nobody fits them. The pairs I got, I simply cut 8-10cm off the bottom, and used hemming tape (iron it to make a hem, takes like 30 seconds) and instantly had some nice pairs of perfect-length pants, while saving literally a few hundred dollars. I did like 6 pairs of dress pants in a few minutes in the summer. Youtube it if youre unsure.

So take advantage of things like that. I didn't really need sunglasses, or shorts, jeans or anything else...but looking in the clearance or sale sections, I saved so much. They woulda costed $500 or more that day.
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    My taste is more Lucky, A&F, True Religion, or Desiel. But, I don't have that kind of budget.

For Lucky (my personal favorite!) try Lucky Outlet, Macy's, and stores such as TJ Maxx and Marshalls. I've even seen them in Costco on occasion.
    If you know anything about hemming, a lot of their longer pants go from like $100 or more to $20 because nobody fits them.

^^^ Also, this.
  • neverstray
    Options
    I wonder if I should wait for Black Friday. Ugh! I'm such a bad shopper. I just want what I want when I want it. I want to go today. But, I feel like it might be worth it to wait for Friday. But, it's convenient now, not then.
  • Grandmasboy2852
    Options
    I try to avoid buying cloths online - Especially if your trying to find something form fitting unless you know the brand and know that it will fit how you want it to... but I honestly cannot tell you the last time I bought cloths... hahaha Normally I just wear whatever is given to me - be it my girlfriend or random Xmas presents and what not. Who knows what I would be wearing if I had to go out and shop!
  • neverstray
    Options
    I try to avoid buying cloths online - Especially if your trying to find something form fitting unless you know the brand and know that it will fit how you want it to... but I honestly cannot tell you the last time I bought cloths... hahaha Normally I just wear whatever is given to me - be it my girlfriend or random Xmas presents and what not. Who knows what I would be wearing if I had to go out and shop!

Well, as I said, I've been like you, but now I want to take control and give myself a "look" and some style. Not just bagging jeans and an over-sized t-shirt, which is my "style" right now. I don't think people would categorize me as a slob, but they probably would categorize me as not very clothing conscious at all. Lol. I'd like to change that. I just think with my weight loss and hitting my goals and starting to look and feel great, I want to pair that up with some tight looking clothes - by "tight", I mean awesome, not literally tight, lol.
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Black Friday is one of the best times to buy clothes during the year. I was watching a segment on the news about what is actually worth venturing out for... clothes and electronics were the items they said were good on Black Friday, with toys and all else actually cheaper 2 weeks before Christmas. Most of the stores have their BF ads online now so you can get an idea of what's on sale, as well as what will be on sale throughout the long weekend.
  • neverstray
    Options
    Black Friday is one of the best times to buy clothes during the year. I was watching a segment on the news about what is actually worth venturing out for... clothes and electronics were the items they said were good on Black Friday, with toys and all else actually cheaper 2 weeks before Christmas. Most of the stores have their BF ads online now so you can get an idea of what's on sale, as well as what will be on sale throughout the long weekend.

Ok, I'll be patient. Good idea.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Have you tried Aeropostale? Theyre not too expensive, especially if you shop in the clearance section on their website. Most people say Aeropostale is just for teens but I've seen older people wearing clothes from there. My stepfather is 35 and still shops there. Just a thought
  • jmc0806
    jmc0806 Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I've been buying a lot from Nautica and Polo lately but that's because we have a new huge outlet mall that opened this year, so they have great prices
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    H&M normally has pretty cheap stuff. I think the quality might be not so great, but some things there are great, both price wise and quality wise.

Target's line of clothes also isn't bad for the price.

My recommendation is to find some styles that look good on GQ and/or esquire, and try and find those looks at different stores. Don't just try and buy the outfits that the mannequins are wearing, but try and put together your own outfits. It will save you money in the long run. Plus you will end up with a more versatile wardrobe.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You should try stores like Nordstrom Rack, and Loehmann's.

Discount designer stores. Still not cheap, but you can pick up a pair of True Religion jeans there for about $100, instead of the usual $220. I mainly shop at Nordstrom Rack for my fella. Howe (great brand for sport coats), diesel, CK, etc.

You won't have an enormous wardrobe this way, but a few key pieces that are really versatile. I recommend starting a pinterst board and saving men's fashion images that you like. You'll be able to see trends in what you like that way and shop appropriately.

Also try: ZARA, H&M, Forever 21 Men, and JCrew. JCrew has a fantastic outlet store too.