Advice please - why am I struggling to lose weight?

Options
Firstly, thanks for reading! This is my first post, but I am freaking out so I am hoping you can give me some advice...

Here's my story...

In May 2011 I weighed about 72kg (~160lbs) and decided to do something about my weight, with my goal to get below 60kg (~130lbs) before I went on a holiday in late September 2011. I started tracking my diet and fitness on MFP (you can see it is still in there) and reached my goal - yippee! I then maintained my weight for a year, up until September 2012 I was mainly around 59kg (~130lbs), I didn't track my diet or exercise, but ate fairly healthily and rarely exercised. In October 2012 we had visitors stay with us for a month... I decided that I would be polite and eat and drink what they drink - surely 1 month wouldn't be that bad??? Wrong!!! When they left I had gained 4.3kg (~10lbs) :o(.

With another beach holiday planned for Christmas, I really need to lose weight! I ideally would like to get to 57.5kg (~125lbs) and be more toned. I thought I would start to track my eating again, be very strict on my diet (where possible) and ramp up the exercise.

I have started my plan of healthy/cleanish eating - minimising carbs, trying to avoid processed and refined foods, eating 5-6 meals a day, combining lean protein and complex carbs, avoiding soft drink, and not eating or drinking after 9pm. I am also exercising at least 5 times a week for about an hour (doing P90X, 30 Day Shred or exercise bike for off days). I am also drinking at least 2L of water every day.

The thing is I lost a little bit of weight as soon as I started this approach (late October), but now I am gaining weight? I know I haven't been doing this for long and I need to be patient, but I am really worried that I am doing something wrong... Last time I never gained weight and consistently lost 0.5kg+(~1lb) each week, something just seems off??? I don't want to wait too much longer before I check because if I am doing something wrong I won't have time to fix things and see results before Christmas if I leave it too much longer...

My BMR (according to MFP) is 1375, or if I use the method on here - http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/metric-bmr-calculator.php it is 1406.3... If I say I'm sedentary it is 1687.56 (then I would need to count my exercise), or it is 2179.77 if I say I am moderately active (then I couldn't count my exercise). I aim to eat 1200 calories/day regardless of whether or not I exercise.

Other things to note are that I am gluten, dairy, nut and soy free because of allergies. I sometimes travel for work and when I do it is near impossible to eat how I want to so when you see occasional blow outs that is why, this should only happen 1-2 times a month. I am also trying to minimise social engagements, but will have a few given that we are coming into the holiday season. I am going to limit alcohol and portion sizes, but I can't completely avoid everything :o).

If you wouldn't mind giving me some feedback on my approach and/or what I am eating, I would be eternally grateful... I am still very much a learner when it comes to diet and exercise to lose weight and I know so many people on here have great knowledge!

TIA xx

Replies

• TJbubbles23
    TJbubbles23 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have been researching literally all day... I am wondering if I am not eating enough?

I read a lot from http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 and http://scoobysworkshop.com/ and based on the calculations I should be eating somewhere between 1450 and 1650 calories (depending on variables). If I use the method of taking my TDEE and minusing the calories I would need to to reach my goal (0.7kg/week = deficit of 770/day), I get closer to 1400...

So I was thinking to aim for about 1500/day, maybe slightly less on days I don't exercise?

Does this sound right?
  • ChrisC8181
    ChrisC8181 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This same thing has happened to me where I lose weight then gain it back quickly. I think the most important part of any "diet" is that it is sustainable and one that you can continue doing- not something that you only do for a period of time and then revert to different eating habits. Your body may be telling you that it is happy where it is. I do not think that you should decrease calories too much, unless you're trying to do this for a specific event. How tall are you?

About 8 years ago, I lost the last 10 lbs but changing my exercise routine--I added in running everyday and took up pilates and yoga. I was eating healthy at the time (around 1600 calories/day) and it was only when I added in the running, yoga, and pilates, that I was able to lose 10 lbs. Important to note that I did not eat my calories back so ate around 1600 regardless of whether or not I exercised. Of course, now I'm about 45 lbs heavier and trying to lose weight again, but I found that those last 10 lbs came off by maintaining my calorie count around1600-1700 and taking up running, yoga, and pilates. Good luck!
  • jcolier
    Options
    Maybe you are too stressed about reaching your goal by christmas? Losing isn't always a quick thing. Relax, eat healthy and exercise, and dont get on the scale every day. Good luck!
  • ladybugcoupons
    Options
    Two thoughts come to mind:
    (1) Muscle weighs more than fat. Sometimes the scale doesn't explain to you WHY you went up, but maybe there is a logical reason.
    (2) Rule out any medical or hormonal reasons.
  • Takoushe
    Options
    I have the problem as you do but I have thyroid problem have your doctor check your thyroids you may have hypothyroidism
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough. I saw a day where your net was only 400 calories! Also, you're not eating enough protein. You have your setting at a wonderful number, yet you barely even eat half of that - why?

If you work out, you NEED to eat at least half or more of those calories back and keep your net at 1200 or more. Example - You burn 300 cals, so you need to eat 1500 cals that day. You will NOT gain weight eating more in this manner.
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    This same thing has happened to me where I lose weight then gain it back quickly. I think the most important part of any "diet" is that it is sustainable and one that you can continue doing- not something that you only do for a period of time and then revert to different eating habits. Your body may be telling you that it is happy where it is. I do not think that you should decrease calories too much, unless you're trying to do this for a specific event. How tall are you?

About 8 years ago, I lost the last 10 lbs but changing my exercise routine--I added in running everyday and took up pilates and yoga. I was eating healthy at the time (around 1600 calories/day) and it was only when I added in the running, yoga, and pilates, that I was able to lose 10 lbs. Important to note that I did not eat my calories back so ate around 1600 regardless of whether or not I exercised. Of course, now I'm about 45 lbs heavier and trying to lose weight again, but I found that those last 10 lbs came off by maintaining my calorie count around1600-1700 and taking up running, yoga, and pilates. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

I am 173cm (5' 8").

I have just added the 30 day shred to my routine, I will do that every day as well as P90x, this is a massive increase in exercise for me, so I am hoping it helps with both the weight loss and toning.
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    Maybe you are too stressed about reaching your goal by christmas? Losing isn't always a quick thing. Relax, eat healthy and exercise, and dont get on the scale every day. Good luck!

Thanks for your reply!

Maybe :o)

I just for once in my adult life want to feel comfortable in a bikini. I would have been fine if I didn't have a blow out in October because I would have only had 1.6kg to lose, now I am a bit stressed!
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    Two thoughts come to mind:
    (1) Muscle weighs more than fat. Sometimes the scale doesn't explain to you WHY you went up, but maybe there is a logical reason.
    (2) Rule out any medical or hormonal reasons.

Thanks for your reply!

I don't think I have been exercising enough to put on muscle, ~5 times per week for ~45 mins for 3 weeks? Would I have put on muscle?

I was tested about 18 months ago and the medical issues I had were related to food allergies, I have now removed those things from my diet 95% (it would be 100% if not for dining in foreign countries).
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    I have the problem as you do but I have thyroid problem have your doctor check your thyroids you may have hypothyroidism

Thanks for your reply!

When I had the tests 18 months ago, my thyroid came back as a little low (still normal though), so I had to take my temperature every morning before I got out of bed. My temperature was always colder than it should have been. My Dr said I was fine, but on the low side of normal.
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    You're definitely not eating enough. I saw a day where your net was only 400 calories! Also, you're not eating enough protein. You have your setting at a wonderful number, yet you barely even eat half of that - why?

If you work out, you NEED to eat at least half or more of those calories back and keep your net at 1200 or more. Example - You burn 300 cals, so you need to eat 1500 cals that day. You will NOT gain weight eating more in this manner.

Thanks for your reply!

I have only just adjusted my goals based on some of the reading I did on the weekend. Originally I was aiming to eat ~1200 calories (regardless of exercise). I am now aiming to eat about 1500 calories, so that should cover my exercise. I am scared though, it seems counter intuitive!

ETA - I was also scared I was eating too much protein. I used to only have protein with lunch and dinner, now I am having it with every meal. Do you think a split of 35% protein, 25% fat and 40% carbs is ok? I would ideally eat less carbs, but I am finding to include a complex carb with every meal it is hard to go under 40% even if I skip breads, pasta, rice etc. most of my carbs are coming from fruit and vegetables.
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    So far I am up to 877 for food, but I am starving... The whole exercise thing in the morning really makes your tummy growl!
  • WickedPixie1
    WickedPixie1 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Eat more! 1200 minimum, more if you are exercising
    1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat weigh the same...it's a density thing
    having more muscle helps you burn more calories
    More cardio will help the lbs drop faster too
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    Eat more! 1200 minimum, more if you are exercising
    1 lb of muscle and 1 lb of fat weigh the same...it's a density thing
    having more muscle helps you burn more calories
    More cardio will help the lbs drop faster too

Thank you.

Do you think my day today looks better? I tried to eat more and do some more exercise. I know I still didn't hit my goal of ~1500 calories, but I will do better tomorrow. Today I didn't take enough food to work, so was hungry during the day, but now I am stuffed full of dinner and can't fit anything else in to hit my calories.
  • nixirain
    nixirain Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Read this again and try not to over think it! This is for fat loss and is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Edited to add: Sometimes having some one else run your numbers helps.

If you send me your stats I can help you if you like.

Thanks!
  • TJbubbles23
    Options
    Read this again and try not to over think it! This is for fat loss and is a lifestyle change, not a diet.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/682138-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks nixirain! I definitely want a lifestyle change, not a diet, however until Christmas I want to be more strict to reach my goal and force the habits.

I have just re-read the post, I think I will have to read it 10 times before I start to fully understand it though ;o)

It's funny how little you are taught about diet and exercise, I feel so stupid.

My numbers are:

Weight - 61kgs (134lbs)
    Height - 173cm (68.1 inches)
    Age - 31
    Sex - female
    Neck - 12.5 inches
    Waist - 27.5 inches
    Hips - 39 inches
    Activity level - day job sedentary
    Exercise - aiming for minimum 5 days/week. Most days are 60 minutes. I haven't been wearing my HRM (will start soon) but I think MFP is overestimating calories burnt.

Goal weight - 125lb
    Goal body fat - 18%

I got...
    Body fat - 25.3%
    BMR - 1352
    TDEE - 1695 (sedentary)
    TDEE - 2189 (includes 5 days exercise)

I am trying to aim for 1500 calories per day... I guess if I take off 20% it would be closer to 1750, but I wanted to allow for days that I don't exercise and for calorie underestimation and exercise over estimation.

Do you need any other numbers?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options

Thanks!

Wow! Thanks nixirain! I definitely want a lifestyle change, not a diet, however until Christmas I want to be more strict to reach my goal and force the habits.

I have just re-read the post, I think I will have to read it 10 times before I start to fully understand it though ;o)

My numbers are:

Weight - 61kgs (134lbs)
    Age - 31
    Sex - female
    Neck - 12.5 inches
    Waist - 27.5 inches
    Hips - 39 inches
    Exercise - aiming for minimum 5 days/week. Most days are 60 minutes. I haven't been wearing my HRM (will start soon) but I think MFP is overestimating calories burnt.

Goal weight - 125lb
    Goal body fat - 18%

I got...
    Body fat - 25.3%
    BMR - 1352
    TDEE - 1695 (sedentary)

I am trying to aim for 1500 calories per day... I guess if I take off 20% it would be closer to 1750, but I wanted to allow for days that I don't exercise and for calorie underestimation and exercise over estimation.

Definitely eat more, too little is almost if not worse than too much when it comes to health.

I suggest really measuring your body to track, you are doing quite alot of excercising which really can shift your body fat percentage. And besides the tape measure, try to weigh with a body fat analyzer. The other thing to factor in is self perception. I can't think of a more polite way to say it, but you seem reasonably slim to me already. And consider what body fat percentages actually are:

Classification Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%

ETA-That all being said, what I am partially trying to say is that the closer one is to their body's idea of a good weight, the harder it is to lose.

And good luck with the eating out an allergies, I can definitely empathize with that.
  • pouncepet
    pouncepet Posts: 72 Member
    Options

Thanks!

My numbers are:

Weight - 61kgs (134lbs)
    Age - 31
    Sex - female
    Neck - 12.5 inches
    Waist - 27.5 inches
    Hips - 39 inches

Goal weight - 125lb
    Goal body fat - 18%

I got...
    Body fat - 25.3%
    BMR - 1352
    TDEE - 1695 (sedentary)

You are very close to your 18% Body fat goal so it is going to become challenging to lower your body fat. Not impossible but difficult. Realistically unles you are going to have a trainer helping you, you should expect to drop the last 9 pounds of Fat in anywhere from 3-9 months.

Honestly, if your working out 5 days a week I suggest eating 1700-1800 calories filled with lots of good proteins, fats and moderate carbs.

Personally, I suggest you do cardio not for weight loss at this point but its cardiovascular and health benefits - moderate pace 15 to 30 minutes 3-5 times a week (unless your EXTREMELY sedentary then bump it to 30-45 minutes 3-5 days a week). Re-focus on watching your diet intently and weight training will get you to 18% body fat far more effectively than any intense cardio exercise will.

And cards on the table, we can only estimate and speculate what your body will end up doing because it may decide to stay at the same weight even if you lose a few more inches (not much else to lose in my opinion), it may tone up and look better even if the scale doesn't budge, you will feel better and stronger even if the scale stubbornly stays put - In the end, does it matter if as long as you are in the best shape of your life? As long as you look like your 125 lbs does it have to say that on the scale?

Last piece of advice I would offer is try and see if you can find a place to get a DEXA scan done - it is considered the gold standard to know what a persons body composition is. Your body fat may be lower than 25% (especially considering your inch stats and height but I don't have a picture so I cant eye ball it)

Whatever you do, DONT eat less than 1500-1600 calories. You are pushing your body to perform - you need to provide it the fuel to do so.

Good luck!
  • TJbubbles23
    Options

Thanks!

My numbers are:

Weight - 61kgs (134lbs)
    Age - 31
    Sex - female
    Neck - 12.5 inches
    Waist - 27.5 inches
    Hips - 39 inches

Goal weight - 125lb
    Goal body fat - 18%

I got...
    Body fat - 25.3%
    BMR - 1352
    TDEE - 1695 (sedentary)

Definitely eat more, too little is almost if not worse than too much when it comes to health.

I suggest really measuring your body to track, you are doing quite alot of excercising which really can shift your body fat percentage. And besides the tape measure, try to weigh with a body fat analyzer. The other thing to factor in is self perception. I can't think of a more polite way to say it, but you seem reasonably slim to me already. And consider what body fat percentages actually are:

Classification Women (% fat)
    Essential Fat 10-12%
    Athletes 14-20%
    Fitness 21-24%

ETA-That all being said, what I am partially trying to say is that the closer one is to their body's idea of a good weight, the harder it is to lose.

And good luck with the eating out an allergies, I can definitely empathize with that.

Thanks so much! I will definitely try to eat more... It's funny, I guess I am slim compared to many people, but my husband described me (not in a nasty way, just to summarise my problem) as "skinny fat" - you know those people who are fairly thin, but look way bigger with their clothes off because everything jiggles? That's me. With the body fat percentages, maybe my goal is off? I set it by looking at pictures of people with their body fat listed and picking the ones that I liked the look of. They were between 18% and 20%, I am definitely not an athlete! Likewise with the weight, I wouldn't care if the scales said more if I looked ok, but I look awful (I promise, it's not just in my mind!).

The allergies was massive to adjust to, now I don't mind it. Only struggle is when I'm eating out. I always end up eating something am allergic to and then feeling rubbish!
  • TJbubbles23
    Options

Thanks!

My numbers are:

Weight - 61kgs (134lbs)
    Age - 31
    Sex - female
    Neck - 12.5 inches
    Waist - 27.5 inches
    Hips - 39 inches

Goal weight - 125lb
    Goal body fat - 18%

I got...
    Body fat - 25.3%
    BMR - 1352
    TDEE - 1695 (sedentary)

You are very close to your 18% Body fat goal so it is going to become challenging to lower your body fat. Not impossible but difficult. Realistically unles you are going to have a trainer helping you, you should expect to drop the last 9 pounds of Fat in anywhere from 3-9 months.

Honestly, if your working out 5 days a week I suggest eating 1700-1800 calories filled with lots of good proteins, fats and moderate carbs.

Personally, I suggest you do cardio not for weight loss at this point but its cardiovascular and health benefits - moderate pace 15 to 30 minutes 3-5 times a week (unless your EXTREMELY sedentary then bump it to 30-45 minutes 3-5 days a week). Re-focus on watching your diet intently and weight training will get you to 18% body fat far more effectively than any intense cardio exercise will.

And cards on the table, we can only estimate and speculate what your body will end up doing because it may decide to stay at the same weight even if you lose a few more inches (not much else to lose in my opinion), it may tone up and look better even if the scale doesn't budge, you will feel better and stronger even if the scale stubbornly stays put - In the end, does it matter if as long as you are in the best shape of your life? As long as you look like your 125 lbs does it have to say that on the scale?

Last piece of advice I would offer is try and see if you can find a place to get a DEXA scan done - it is considered the gold standard to know what a persons body composition is. Your body fat may be lower than 25% (especially considering your inch stats and height but I don't have a picture so I cant eye ball it)

Whatever you do, DONT eat less than 1500-1600 calories. You are pushing your body to perform - you need to provide it the fuel to do so.

Good luck!

Thank you!

Is 25% considered close to 18%? I guess I thought that that was a big gap? Yes, to reach my fat percentage goal might take some time, but as long as I'm on track to looking and feeling better I'll be happy.

I will definitely up the calories too... It might take me a little while to get there, just because I don't want to eat unhealthy food just to get extra calories and the sheer volume of eating more healthy food is hard to take all at once. Last night I felt sick after dinner because I was so full.

On the exercise... Can you help me understand if doing more will help me tone faster? Yes I am doing it for weight loss, but more than anything I need to build some muscle and tone. I am planning on doing the 30DS which is 20 mins of cardio in the morning, but at night I will do the P90X which is a combinational of weights and cardio.

I will try to get a scan, I live in the country, so it's a bit of a mission... On my scales it says I'm 20.8% body fat, but honestly I look nothing like the pictures of people with 20% body fat so I don't think it is accurate.