You're doing it wrong if you're thinking "how skinny feels"

Options

Replies

• oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Fantastic!

I abhor the phrase "nothing tastes as good as skinny feels".
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes better than having less joint and back pain.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    Many people dont like the word skinny because they have never felt even close to "lean".

Some of us don't like the word skinny because we've been skinny.

I've been about 30 pounds above and below what I weigh right now. I'm happiest where I am, but if I had to choose between the two extremes, I was much healthier and happier at my high weight than my low weight.
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Some of the folks in here defending "skinny" are actually in line with my OP. You're pointing out other things that go along with slenderness that you think are awesome and I think that's awesome.

The objectionable phrase is bothersome to me as
    1) it tends to be used a LOT by eating disordered individuals to goad each other and themselves on, though healthy people have also embraced it too so it isn't a litmus test for an eating disorder

and

2) it is aimed primarily at women and it suggests that appearance alone is a reason to deny ourselves the nutrition and/or enjoyment that comes with food. Appearance alone. I reject that concept, and as the mother of a pre-teen girl, I'd really like to see our society move away from its obsession with female appearance over female accomplishment, female thought, female ability.

All you folks talking about the definition of skinny are totally cool in my book, as it is going beyond simply and only appearance to the detriment of all else.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    hell yeah!! This is a great attitude!
  • TinaOsborneRN
    TinaOsborneRN Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I prefer "nothing tastes as good as being FIT feels!"
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I think what people are trying to say is Skinny is a poor description. You can be skinny and healthy and you can be skinny and unhealthy. Striving to be something that has so much variability as well as so much personal bias to it is a difficult goal to aim for. If you ask a person with an eating disorder that is below a healthy weight there is a good chance they will tell you they think they are fat, where to your eyes they are too skinny. Too subjective.

Sure Skinny would be nice, but I'd don't want to be skinny if I'm unhealthy or Unhappy. I want to be healthy, happy with how I look, able to wear clothes that I want to wear. I want to live for longer.

Whenever I am craving something I don't ask myself "Do I deny myself to be skinny later?" I ask "Do I want to be happy now for a little bit or do I want to be happy later for longer"
  • angeliqueann
    angeliqueann Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    awesome post.
  • alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Some of the folks in here defending "skinny" are actually in line with my OP. You're pointing out other things that go along with slenderness that you think are awesome and I think that's awesome.

The objectionable phrase is bothersome to me as
    1) it tends to be used a LOT by eating disordered individuals to goad each other and themselves on, though healthy people have also embraced it too so it isn't a litmus test for an eating disorder

and

2) it is aimed primarily at women and it suggests that appearance alone is a reason to deny ourselves the nutrition and/or enjoyment that comes with food. Appearance alone. I reject that concept, and as the mother of a pre-teen girl, I'd really like to see our society move away from its obsession with female appearance over female accomplishment, female thought, female ability.

All you folks talking about the definition of skinny are totally cool in my book, as it is going beyond simply and only appearance to the detriment of all else.

I couldn't agree with you more regarding the obsession with appearance, especially for pre-teen and teenage girls. Having confidence in themselves is so important.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    love this!
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I prefer the word light instead of skinny...

Sure, I will be skinny, even borderline underweight or worst, but that is societies issues.

Mine is performance, lighter = increase in performance till a certain point. Sure eventually I cannot lose else it hurts performance which is bad, but just because YOU want to lift heavy and look crazy, isn't my definition of it... I can bench press almost body weight, do pullups with 1.5 times by body weight, love surfing, I run ultra marathons and do multi day stage races for both road cycling, mountain biking and running.

I am strong, I am fast, I might not be built, but that is not in my best interest. running 90km in under 10hrs, running 4hr marathons, doing 300km stage race for running, a 900km road cycle race.. sure.. I might be aiming for light, which might be your definition of skinny, but by any means, I am above average. I believe lift heavy a few times a week, and race till you cannot anymore, then carry on. No is not an answer, just a question. Pain is temporary, pride is forever!

That essentially sums up my head, and training.
  • frando
    frando Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as how REVENGE ON THOSE *****ES AT SCHOOL / COLLEGE now that their metabolism and eating habits have caught up on them =^---^=

I'm a nice person really but my god I'd feel amazing when I have my revenge!
  • DaphneAtx
    Options
    Amen!
  • PetulantOne
    PetulantOne Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've never much cared for that phrase. Probably because I've always been more interested in being strong than skinny (also because I've eaten bacon).

:laugh:

Bacon always comes to mind whenever I hear or see this phrase.
  • Adrenaline_Junky
    Adrenaline_Junky Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I couldn't agree more!!!
    The phrase should read "Nothing tastes as good as healthy feels"

In other words... I've never wanted to be skinny; my life-long goal is to be fit!
    There's nothing better than feeling good in your own skin, knowing you accomplished it through dedication and hard work.
  • hen1946
    hen1946 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    well put, I totally agree.
  • collectingblues
    collectingblues Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I hate that phrase, too. I've been skinny. Skinny felt like hell. I was sick, and miserable, and the funny thing was... I didn't even *feel* skinny.

I'd much rather be toned. Empowered. Able to race a 5K. Able to swim a breaststroke 200 in a faster time than my ex. Getting into a smaller clothing size would be a perk, but isn't the end goal. I want to feel good about *me*.

I can do those things *and* eat food that tastes good and fuels my body.
  • ClHiggins35
    ClHiggins35 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Love It <3
  • louiselebeau
    louiselebeau Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Nothing tastes as good as how REVENGE ON THOSE *****ES AT SCHOOL / COLLEGE now that their metabolism and eating habits have caught up on them =^---^=

I'm a nice person really but my god I'd feel amazing when I have my revenge!

Hee Hee

When I lost weight the first time (before baby) I went to visit some friends and went to a club. No one recognized me due to weight loss... then on top of that everyone then began psychotically texting my ex telling him how awesome I looked. (I could wrestle with death row inmates at the time so I was IN SHAPE) That was the best revenge ever.
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the OP. I object to the use of the word skinny in that phrase. I personally use, "Nothing tastes as good as fit & healthy feels." Skinny is not healthy. I think the people defending the word really mean slender.

From www.dictionary.com:

skin·ny   [skin-ee] Show IPA adjective, skin·ni·er, skin·ni·est, noun
    adjective
    1. very lean or thin; emaciated: a skinny little kitten.
    2. of or like skin.
    3. unusually low or reduced; meager; minimal: skinny profits.
    4. (of an object) narrow or slender: a skinny bed.

Synonyms
    1. lank, gaunt, scrawny.

slen·der   [slen-der] Show IPA
    adjective, slen·der·er, slen·der·est.
    1. having a circumference that is small in proportion to the height or length: a slender post.
    2. thin or slight; light and graceful: slender youths.
    3. small in size, amount, extent, etc.; meager: a slender income.
    4. having little value, force, or justification: slender prospects.
    5. thin or weak, as sound.

Synonyms
    2. Slender, slight, slim imply a tendency toward thinness. As applied to the human body, slender implies a generally attractive and pleasing thinness: slender hands. Slight often adds the idea of frailness to that of thinness: a slight, almost fragile, figure. Slim implies a lithe or delicate thinness: a slim and athletic figure. 4. trivial, trifling. 5. fragile, feeble, fine, delicate, flimsy.