Anyone Eating Clean???

Options
Hey!

Just curious if anyone is using this site while eating clean? Although Tosca Reno's Eat Clean Diet is not organized around eating clean - just wondering if anyone has had any success with it?

Thanks!

Liz

Replies

• valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    Totally! Although I do have to tweek the Clean Eating guide lines just a little to meet my own dietary needs, the principles are really on the mark. I've seen quite a few entries in the food library so there must be other clean eaters out there.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    i recently started making an attempt at eating clean. however, i do not follow any specific diet books or rules. i just try to eat all-natural ingredients as much as i can. its really helped to reduce the amount of added sugar and sodium i take in. i choose to eat like this to have an all-around healthy and nutrient-rich diet that i will stick with for life.
  • mandylwilson
    mandylwilson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I adore Tosca and her books! She has not only given me motivation but she has also changed the way I see food. I use the clean eating principals, and I have noticed weight loss, energy, and overall health improvement!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    yup, I try to eat clean 80-90% of the time. when I first started last Fall, the first thing I noticed was the huge increase in my energy level. I felt amazing! gradually changing TO clean eating worked best for me. I still have my favorites, but in moderation. Clean Eating Magazine has good recipes too. there used to be a "Clean Eater's" thread....any way, good luck! It feels great to eat *crap-free*!
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    Yup! Tosca Reno popularized it, but there are lots of resources out there. It's pretty simple once you get the hang of reading labels and just focusing on eating whole, real food. Ellie Krieger's cookbooks are great. Keeping the fake food chemicals out of your diet will make a big difference in how you feel. We're still figuring out exactly how chemicals affect the body, as there are no long-term studies and most are stored in body fat.
  • toulouse
    toulouse Posts: 3
    Options
    I am doing my best to eat clean! after seeing the movie Food Inc 2 weeks ago I went out and picked up the book Food Rules and am doing my best to follow it !
    I am in cookin school and italian so I love meat but am learning to find ways to buy it from humane resources as well as my eggs and dairy. I have found some great resources out there to help! It seems hard at first buts its so worth it! I feel great .... I grew up couning calories and always have ... but I dont even have to anymore
    even if its one or two chioces you make to change its not only good for you but its good for the enviromnment...
  • sissy56
    sissy56 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    The End of Overeating is another good book if you want to get mad enough to stop eating fast food, chain food, and otherwise "unclean".
  • epond
    epond Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I am going to give it a try! :)
  • bennettv
    bennettv Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the Tosca book, but judging by the conversations on this link we've been eating clean for about 3 years. My son was diagnosed with food allergies and pretty much that eliminated almost everything in a box or bag. We now purchase all our veggies through a CSA farm share in season and are members of an organic co-op buying group in the winter. All our meat is raised as nature intended and comes right from a farm, including sausages, lunchmeat, bacon, ect... Our dairy is delivered to our doorstep every Tuesday from a dairy that doesn't use hormones or antibiotics. Our bread is made the old fashioned way -- it rises over days not minutes. Since making the transition many of our new friends have chickens so we always know where our eggs come from and what the chickens have been eating.

The only "problem" with eating clean is that you can't always choose it. If you're on vacation or at a conference or something. Some people get annoyed with me because I choose not to eat certain things unless they come from sources. For instance, haven't had a commercially raised chicken in a long time! Can't see that changing. Good luck with it.
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    I just hit the two month mark of eating clean - I LOVE IT!! I dont think that there is any way that I am going back, through eating clean I have realized that I am allergic to gluten and with cutting that out my stomach issues of the last 10 years have all but dissapeard.

Some of the things that I have noticed with eating clean are wonderful! My energy levels have gone up and I am sleeping more soundly at night. Food is tasting different - better, I had a pineapple the other day that was better than the best chocolate cake that I have ever eaten. The only issue with my "new" taste buds is that all I want is SPICEY food - I have never liked spicey food in my entire life! I dont know how to cook spicey foods :bigsmile: My partner has Muscular Distrophy(CMT) and her disease symptoms have lessened, her balance has improved, and her sleeping and energy has gotten better as well.

It is harder to eat out - however I have found a couple of sushi resturaunts in town that make their sushi with brown rice and good fish - I live on the coast so good fish isnt even an issue! Other than that it is almost always a salad without dressing.:happy:
  • allim
    allim Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with arfletcher- it is weird but I had noticed that I craved spicy foods. I have been eating clean now for 3 years and try to "spread the gospel" to everyone I know. My husband was resistant at first becuase I was pretty hardcore and he didn't appreciate the way the landscapes of the cupboards and fridges changed..... "What no Deli Meat?!?" but I have now loosened up on a few things, eating clean 90% of my weekly diet. I now enjoy maybe two dirty dinners a week and of course, my wine!

Overall my energy levels have increased, my mood stabalized, my figured and muscle tone changed, sleep patterns, BM regulairty....... Once you start eating clean you just cannot understand why ANYONE would not want to!!!!!
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    Once you start eating clean you just cannot understand why ANYONE would not want to!!!!!

:laugh: :laugh: I think I am driving all of my friends crazy with my clean food talk!! I really dont understand why more people dont eat like this - it really does make you feel better....

I think that alot of people are scared away because you kind of have to switch your thinking from "lets have something yummy for dinner and see how healthy we might be able to make it" to "lets eat something healthy that is going to properly fuel my body and lets also realize how yummy it actually is after you get over your fat/salt/sugar addiction!"
  • epond
    Options
    I tried it a while a go and am now interested in adapting it so I can count my calories....the major thing I noticed in the beginning was that within the first week I had a couple days where I was seriously "out of it"... LOL ...that's the best way I can describe it. I agree that I was sleeping a lot better. But I really didn't like how I felt...just wondering if anyone had similar experiences???

Also.... I have had stomach issues ever since my gallbladder was removed 3 years ago - to the point where I would actually welcome back my gallbladder. I have been cutting out gluten as well and have noticed a significant improvment. I was tested for celiac (bloodtest) which came back negative but my naturopath was very confident that I was gluten sensitive.

Anyways...just wondering if any of you have experienced similar "lows" when you began eating clean. It was VERY draining and discouraging. My head felt very foggy for a few days - and then I relasped back to my normal routine.

I really appreciate your feedback! :flowerforyou:
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    epond ~ not really sure what you were experiencing....but i know my first response to eating cleaner was *energy*! i felt more alert and body wise, not sluggish. just functioning a whole lot better all the way around. the foggy feeling...i dont know...maybe it was a shock to your system....i know there are days when i have eaten nothing clean, and ALL junk, that literally send me into a carb coma....processed foods can really do a number on me if i over do it, and a couple times i have even been physically sick, with flu like symptoms. for me, i get the fogginess with my cycle....like the week prior to and the week of. i try to keep my daily schedule, social and work, low key, for 2 weeks..... definitely don't make any major decisions during that time.

eating clean was a real eye opener to me. i feel amazing on the days that are 80-90% clean, who doesn't want more energy?! makes me want to stick with it!

good luck!
  • epond
    Options
    Kelly_a -

I never thought to connect my fogginess with my cycle - but that actually seems very possible. I am planning on starting tomorrow (beginning of a new week for me as I am in a weight loss/fitness program). My biggest thing will be eating regularly and ensuring that I get lots of produce in - less carbs. Thanks for your suggestions and experiences!!!

Take Care!

798537.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • valleyp
    valleyp Posts: 49
    Options
    epond, I did have issues like you described when I followed Clean Eating to the letter. What I discovered is that my metabolic make up actually needs more fat and less grains than the magazines suggest. When I added more fat and cut back on the grains then I felt better immediately. It was like a Claritin commercial, lol.